Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the only thing i hate about my 6 is the huge turning radius. i don't like to do a 3 point turn when your doing a U-turn... i can do u-turns alright when its a very big 4 lane road or 6 lane road though

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: huge turning radius

The turning radius issue is well apparent when try to make tight turns into parking spaces in under ground parking garages. I can't do it in one turn. Gotta back up once to pull in without hitting the concrete supports.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Replying to Topic 'huge turning radius'

I suspect "huge" means larger than what you drove before?

My car has a big turning diameter (40 feet); but there's a reason for that... The SVT's larger wheels/tires vs. the standard Contour meant Ford had to limit steering rack travel to avoid serious wheel well rub.

Let's just say I've learned to plan ahead and avoid the need for small-radius maneuvering as much as possible. You get used to it! :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Originally posted by garrick

I suspect "huge" means larger than what you drove before?[/b]
exactly. i've driven a ford explorer and a mercedes c-class.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I totally missed the parking spot at the dealer lot the first time I test drove the 6! :D

·
Registered
517 Posts

Originally posted by b0b

exactly. i've driven a ford explorer and a mercedes c-class.[/b]
Okay, thanks. For the benefit of all, I just wanted to put some numbers to this, and now that I'm in my office, I can. :D Of course, I'm guessing on model year and the precise model, but these results do serve to quantify your point.

Vehicle : Turning Circle Diameter
-------------------------------------------
1999 Ford Explorer 4-door 4x2: 37 ft
1999 Ford Explorer 2-door 4x2/4x4, and 4-door 4x4: 35 ft

2001 M-B C240: 35 ft

2003 Mazda 6 (both trim levels): 39 ft
[EDIT: Woo hoo! One foot less than my 'Tour! :) ]

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

That the ford explorer has a TR smaller than the 6 is a travesty. I don't care if "it's the same as other cars in its class." The 6 outclasses all the cars in its class by a longshot!

·
Registered
980 Posts

Yeah how did that happen? An SUV with a smaller turning radius than the 6. Oh well it's just a minor thing, the car has so many other pluses that it shouldn't matter too much.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

My Miata has a 30ft TR. To me, everything has a HUGE TR.

It amazes me sometimes, it's like some people never looked at the MAZDA6 specs or test drove their cars before they bought them.

·
Registered
376 Posts

you got a point! after seeing the specs, some tend to convince themselves the car is the best anyway.... :D

·
Registered
305 Posts

LBJay,

Yep, I came from the Miata, and I know what you mean. A guy on the Miata newsgroup likes to quip that the Miata's turn radius is so tight that, if you kick the wheel all the way to the left and drive fast enough, you can read your own rear license plate. :)

(Oh, and RE: the mats... Just finally found a box... Haven't forgotten about you!)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Originally posted by DennyA

LBJay,

Yep, I came from the Miata, and I know what you mean. A guy on the Miata newsgroup likes to quip that the Miata's turn radius is so tight that, if you kick the wheel all the way to the left and drive fast enough, you can read your own rear license plate. :)

(Oh, and RE: the mats... Just finally found a box... Haven't forgotten about you!)[/b]
That's clever.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Originally posted by Phrosted

Yeah, no kidding, my lawn mower has a small TR... :D[/b]
my office chair have the smallest one i think...

·
Registered
272 Posts

If it weren't for grass, I wouldn't have my car. :) My dad owns his own landscaping business. I get good money.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts