Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to my stupidity, I made a small crack on my windshield this summer. I asked one of the guys at an autoshop about it and he said it can't be fixed. the only thing I can do is replace it.
The last few days when I got off work, my car was frozen. so i turnedup the heat on the windshield. I knew it will get worse after the winter.
however, after washing my car on saturday, I notice the crack grew bigger.. and now I'm worried. Should I get it replace now or after the winter????

maybe i should take some pics. :tear:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Due to my stupidity, I made a small crack on my windshield this summer. I asked one of the guys at an autoshop about it and he said it can't be fixed. the only thing I can do is replace it.
The last few days when I got off work, my car was frozen. so i turnedup the heat on the windshield. I knew it will get worse after the winter.
however, after washing my car on saturday, I notice the crack grew bigger.. and now I'm worried. Should I get it replace now or after the winter????

maybe i should take some pics. :tear:
[/b]

Perhaps wait... they like to gravel the roads in winter. There is more of a chance that you'll get another before winter is out. I'd wait till spring... (but that's just me)

Your window won't fall apart, rest asured!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The windsheild is a MAJOR structural part of the car.

However gravel is being put on the roads in my area already....my vote....wait.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Yea, pics please.

If it's not too wide-spreaded, drill a little hole to lower the pressure.

Just go to an auto glass shop, they'll know how to do it.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
whaT?!?!?!?! :headscrat:

then you have a leaky windsheild

drill a hole into the sidewalls of your tires too. It has the same effect

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Ahh... mad scientist Derek to the rescue. Looks like 1st year at Mac's scrambled his brains a bit... or maybe its the continuously high levels of alcohol in his blood (frosh week never ends for some :))

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
DONT listen to King dumbass, post pictures and we'll tell you if it needs to be done now or later.

if its bad get it done ASAP, the last thing you want is your screen to break when you're on the highway

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
whaT?!?!?!?!

then you have a leaky windshield?
[/b]
Nope. It only happens with 2 or more holes.

Take coffeepots, for instance. Even in a coffeepot, which definitely should not have holes in places that would make it leak, we need the hole at the top and the one on the end of the spout, or the coffeepot just won’t function the way we need it to function.

Same thing as opening a can, you need two holes to make it work. If you don't believe me, please believe physics. Do an simple experiment at home. :D

Of course the diameter of the hole has to be very tiny small. That's how the shops prolong the life of a cracked windshield. How it works? The hole increases the crack radius, thus reducing its ability to focus loads applied to the windshield that would otherwise cause the crack to spread.

So you guys think I'm bullshiting eh?

DONT listen to King dumbass, post pictures and we'll tell you if it needs to be done now or later.

if its bad get it done ASAP, the last thing you want is your screen to break when you're on the highway
[/b]
Ignorance is disease.

If you don't know shit, please keep your mouth shut and respect to those people who probably know more than you do.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Ahh... mad scientist Derek to the rescue. Looks like 1st year at Mac's scrambled his brains a bit... or maybe its the continuously high levels of alcohol in his blood (frosh week never ends for some :))
[/b]
Sorry. I've never experienced frosh week cuz I didn't even participate in those activities. $140 for a Mac pass? Blah.

I heard you went to ryerson and I also heard that you went you Mac. So when and where did you end up graduating?

Steve says: "FAIL!!!!!!!!"
[/b]
Donald Trump: "You're fried!!!!!!!"

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
lol...I'm just about to reponse to your faucet and toliet analogy.

But anyways, I'm here to give constructive suggestions but you guys keep saying those are BS. See how ignorance blindfolds the mind? I'm pretty dissapointed to see the "respects" in the club. Again, I'm not pissed but I'm just dissapointed. Forum is the place to discuss, express constructive opinions or ideas. There shouldn't be any attack, tease or discussion flame going on. It's not the proper attitude that we should have. As usual, I wasn't the one who started this. Those people who call someone "dumbass" should do some self-criticism. If you are a moderator, shame on you .
If you're a real man, don't even try to edit what you said. Leave it so that we know your true colour and your "insight".

Tracy, whether you take my suggestion or not, definitely get some pics but the best bet is to replace your windshield.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I can see everyone got a little crazy over this thread lol. Anyways, I have heard about drilling through the windshield before and yes it does work as long as it's done correctly. The crack itself, although it is very noticeable usualy doesnt have much of a diameter. So the hole that is drilled wont be much larger then that and at that small of a diameter you dont have to worry about water.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Can't say I've heard of this, but I would think that even a very small hole would:
- whistle like a bugger at highway speeds.
- leak rain/melting snow.

I can see why it would stop the crack from growing, just seems like a temporary kinda fix.

How 'bouts some pics Tracy?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I can see everyone got a little crazy over this thread lol. Anyways, I have heard about drilling through the windshield before and yes it does work as long as it's done correctly. The crack itself, although it is very noticeable usualy doesnt have much of a diameter. So the hole that is drilled wont be much larger then that and at that small of a diameter you dont have to worry about water.
[/b]
Thank you. :highfive:

Mac Eng rocks! :dmetal:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've actually had this done, there's one more process that possibly King Lam's forgotten. With drilling, they do put a filler that seeeeepss through the crack from the drill point through to the other side of the crack causing sometimes the crack itself to NEARLY disappear temporarily. The place I got it done, had charged me said it'll be 60 bucks now, but when you replace the windshield, come back to me and I'll deduct 60 from the cost of the windshield...might want to do that..get it filled now and replace spring or even summer? I had it done on my Maxima about 2 summers ago, no leaks or nothing up to today. Again this only depends on the size of the crack...if half ur windshield is cracked, I'd wait if it's not obstructing view or else replace it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
im not saying it wont work, i know it'll work and i know why it'll work... but you didnt say to GET it done...you told her to drill it...

anyone other than an expert is an idiot if they try drilling their windscreen

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Yea, pics please.

If it's not too wide-spreaded, drill a little hole to lower the pressure.

Just go to an auto glass shop, they'll know how to do it. [/b]
Smartass trying to defend your speech eh??? Did I tell her to drill it herself? Please read carefully before making garbage comment and dissing somebody whom probably more knowledgeable than you.

To be honest, if you knew it already, you wouldn't insult me. But apparently, you joined the ignorant crews and teased about my ideas.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts