Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems there's quite a lot of assertion here that the ms6 strictly requires high octane (93+) fuel to hit its posted stats. Typically that's not the case, and all octane does is keep an engine from knocking with some marginal (5% or less) impact on bhp.

Is there information here that shows ms6 dyno results when running lower grade fuels? If it's true that the car cuts the boost at 4200 when sensing lower octane fuel then it should be provable imperically and dead obvious on the graph.

This boost cutout seems unrelated to the "loss of power" issues reported by many, so let's not cross these two issues up. If information plotting horsepower against octane is already on these forums and I've missed it, please point me in the right direction.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Seems there's quite a lot of assertion here that the ms6 strictly requires high octane (93+) fuel to hit its posted stats. Typically that's not the case, and all octane does is keep an engine from knocking with some marginal (5% or less) impact on bhp.

Is there information here that shows ms6 dyno results when running lower grade fuels? If it's true that the car cuts the boost at 4200 when sensing lower octane fuel then it should be provable imperically and dead obvious on the graph.

This boost cutout seems unrelated to the "loss of power" issues reported by many, so let's not cross these two issues up. If information plotting horsepower against octane is already on these forums and I've missed it, please point me in the right direction.

Cheers!
[/b]
first of all, different dynometers give different results, so u'd have to compare two runs that were done on the same dyno. one person here has done it, i forget who. someone in texas i believe. search the forum.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Cheers!
[/b]
Boost cut seems un related???????? do u own one of these cars ? I have a boost gauge on mine and when the power loss started the boost went to almost 0psi instantly .....so what do u call that ? if it is not boost related?and the reason the boost is being cut is do to the knock / pinging the low or shit octane the ecm is seeing .witch is called detonation .

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here u go 666S.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=49585

dont forget that the more runs u do, the more heatsoak becomes a factor. see other incooler thread by crossbow for more info.
[/b]
/cheers mang.

Boost cut seems un related???????? do u own one of these cars ? I have a boost gauge on mine and when the power loss started the boost went to almost 0psi instantly .....so what do u call that ? if it is not boost related?and the reason the boost is being cut is do to the knock / pinging the low or shit octane the ecm is seeing .witch is called detonation .
[/b]
Easy there, sparky. Clearly there's a problem with the car that it's cutting the boost even on high test fuel. That's not what I'm looking for (there's a big ass thread running on that topic already).

I'm looking for a plot of power against octane. Nothing to do with boost cut. I want someone to show me 3 - 4 dyno pulls on 87, 3 - 4 on 89, 3 - 4 on 91, and 3 - 4 on 93 so we can see if octane is truly affecting the car's peak power output or not.

It's pretty common knowledge that for most cars, octane makes next to no difference whatsoever. The concensus around here seems to be that octane has significant impact on performance; I'm just trying to find documentation of that sentiment.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's pretty common knowledge that for most cars, octane makes next to no difference whatsoever. The concensus around here seems to be that octane has significant impact on performance; I'm just trying to find documentation of that sentiment.
[/b]
Then documentation you shall have!

if you pay for the dyno time and gas i'm sure someone is willing to provide you with that info
[/b]
Or read the pinned topics and save yourself a bunch of cash!!!!

BTW, this video was posted under the pinned "You must use 93 octane" or whatever the topic is topic. The guys in the video are from across the pond, so even though they are refering to octane I'm sure they are refering to the RON rating, or whatever, or not. I'm sure you'll figure it out after reading some more of the pinned topics :)

Your video sir! Save this link!

WRX - Speed6... both turbo 4's. Not very far fetched that we should see an increase in power from regular unlead to premium. Really not far fetched when the manufacturer tells you to use not only premium, but 93 octane. I believe there was also another post from a Texas feller about his experience on the dyno running 100 octane or there abouts, but I'm waaay to lazy to search for that. Enjoy!

Yaayyyaa!!!.... O...K!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
jjohnson1024
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing