Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in the market and I would strongly consider the 6, but I'm a little concerned about the ride quality on the 19" wheels. I commute into Manhattan and travel some horrendous roads (FDR Drive, Brookyln Bridge). I currently drive a Suzuki Kizashi with 18"s and its acceptable but I'm thinking 19s may be too harsh.

Anybody here have some impressions to share with the 19s? Thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I will be in the market and I would strongly consider the 6, but I'm a little concerned about the ride quality on the 19" wheels. I commute into Manhattan and travel some horrendous roads (FDR Drive, Brookyln Bridge). I currently drive a Suzuki Kizashi with 18"s and its acceptable but I'm thinking 19s may be too harsh.

The only thing that will shake you about the 19's is the cost of replacement. The ride is surprisingly composed considering the wheel diameter.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

Ah, the Suzuki Kizashi.:thumbup:

Now that, as I call it the Japanese-made "German car" (taut, responsive, refined but compliant in handling). I was seriously considering that car to replace my B5 1.8T Passat (if I went back to Japanese early on), nearly two years ago. If it weren't for American Suzuki Motors Corp going "kaput" bankruptcy for the USDM..that would definitely be my car today.

Thankfully, Mazda came out with the GJ Mazda6 of the present...and this Touring 6MT I have, took the place of the limited availability Kizashi GTS 6MT I was eyeing for (can't imagine owning a CVT Kizashi). Handling of the GJ on 19s is taut..or should I say, "tight". :lol: This 6MT car is light for it's size and moves nimbly (3,183lbs), sure footed, engaging yet gives me a refined and composed ride. Rides closest to a German car (among the plethora of garden variety Japanese mid-sizes out there). Steering, though EPS is quite responsive and communicative (no wandering steering here, like say some Korean Sonata, plagued for years with no solution in sight by Hyundai)..

This Mazd6 in my book, is truly a natural replacement for the Kizashi.

The GJ Mazda6 is a great choice..the most fun-to-drive (yet very economical on gas), Japanese car I've owned to date. With a 6MT, it is a total BLAST to drive. :D:thumbup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Michigan has some of the worst roads I've ever seen in my life, and I have no issues with my 19"s. Granted I'm very tolerable because I'm not looking for a luxury ride, but I've no complaints from friends/parents after riding with me. My parents are older, and would be quick to comment about it too.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
That's an affirmation I was waiting to hear. Thanks.
I also had a B5 1.8T followed by two 3-series BMWs, then the Kizashi, which has the German flavor without all the trips to the service department. I will miss the AWD, though...
So why sell the Kizzy...the post bankruptcy SMC still service them with parts.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Same boat here but my concern is more about road noise as I've heard complaints from owners from Edmun's site. I have a Mazda 3 right now and the noise at highway is almost unbearable if driven over 1 hour. I am not too worried about the stiff drive because it's only bad on rough roads but the noise, it's always there. I wonder how the 6 compared with the Accord.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The thing to remember is the 19's actually have a pretty high side wall (45 IIRC). on my G35, my 19's had a 35 side wall and those sucked at times on some of Chicago's roads.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Old thread but the question is pertinent to me today - sure lots of people's roads are bad, but your 'bad' is my what? (can't know)... anyone have experience with 19's in the minefield of deep potholes that is Montreal (or Ottawa, or Quebec) in the spring? I swerve to avoid 'em when I can but in heavy traffic when they come out from under the car in front of you suddenly and you're surrounded by cars that's not always possible... Am a bit worried about the effect on the car/wheel/tire of crashing into one of those pits with 19" rims. I'll use 17"s with snow tires in winter but I'd normally have those off long before pothole season is over.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The sidewalls are actually not very low profile. 45 series just like the 18's on the 2009-2013 Mazda6

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I think the downside to the 19's isn't tire sidewall height and initial jarring when hitting road perfections, that is great, it is the overall wheel/tire weight is so high it overloads the bushings giving a little jiggle after the initial impact of the imperfections. It reminds me of my 2001 miata with the 16s that supposed rode way worse than the ones with the 15s or 14s. Then again the 17s aren't much lighter so the difference between the two in terms of ride quality should be small.

·
Registered
15 Posts
naturally, they're going to be a little rougher, but i have no complaints compared to the 205/65/16's that were on my 2012 6. i've always preferred a little stiffer ride, so i look forward to a sportier sedan feel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts