Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
I disagree with turning CenterPoint off. I have a 2018 Mazda6 GT with Bose system that I bought about 6 months ago. At first I was disappointed--it always seemed either tinny or muddy. I tried different things, and looked into aftermarket upgrades. I decided I didn't want to pay several hundred dollars just to put some huge box in the car.

Finally, I noticed that if you turn both the bass and the treble all the way up (+6 on my system) it's amazing how much better the system sounds. You would think it would sound best at 0, but apparently that's not the case. Leave CenterPoint on. Keep the balance and fade at 0. The Bose system seems to like acoustical type sounds better than heavy metal-type stuff with a lot of distortion. It is true that the bass is never really booming. But it really is amazing how much bass there is, and how good it sounds, if you max out both bass and treble. If you try to split it you will lose sound quality. Occasionally you get a song that's too buzzy, or that causes the bass to clip (that does happen occasionally). Then you just drop the bass or treble a notch and put it back when that song is over. I decided I like the Bose system using those settings.

Also, I agree with others on this forum who recommend using an iPod. For some reason, music coming off an iPod through USB sounds a lot better that over Sirius XM radio. I really didn't like the interface coming off my phone, plus I don't like having to plug my iPhone in every time I get in the car.

I'm glad now that I didn't mess with the Bose system. It actually has great quality, and it is crystal clear. With CenterPoint on, you can hear instruments and backup vocals coming from different directions, and I find it to be quite enjoyable to listen to. It may also be that it takes a few months for the bass to "break in."
I just tried your settings (bass and treble at +6) and I have to say it's world of difference. I could never go back to defaults now. I sat in the car for 10 minutes listening to music on the new settings. It also really smooths out the system as I get way less annoying vibration as well.

As hi-fi fanatic I can say that these sound okay and better than your average car stereo system but honestly not that great. As someone said, it's kinda boomy. Generally bose is somewhat of an overrated brand that depends mostly on audio processing and not that much on quality speakers.

I have a 2018 Signature and my BF has a 2018 Sport manual so I've heard both. He used to have competition sound systems in a few of his previous vehicles. He was able to adjust his and my settings to get them to sound pretty good for stock systems. If I turn off Centerpoint, then they sound similar. Only time you really notice the extra 5 speakers is with Centerpoint turned on.

Right now he's got mine set at +2 or +3 bass and +2 or +3 treble depending on what I'm listening to. -2 or -3 fade to the rear and 0 balance. I prefer -2 for fade because there is a slight front bias but there is more rearward sound you can actually hear. -3 fade puts a slight rear bias on it which sounds a bit odd for me. We found that if you don't move some more sound to the back then you can't get it to sound balanced, especially with Centerpoint on. With 7 speakers basically in front of you, 0 fade sounds like you are at a concert being blasted with sound.

The only other "fancy" radio system I've had in a vehicle was my 18 Subaru Legacy with a 12 speaker Harmon Kardon system. Even though it had a from factory mini-sub in the rear deck, it was hard to make it sound good. Sound was clear just hard to balance it out. All my other previous vehicles (mainly GM ones) had the stock 6-7 generic speaker setups that I was able to make sound good for my ears.

I will have to try this just to see what it sounds like. Never thought to jack them both all the way up.

I agree Sirius doesn't sound as good as other forms of audio in the 6 but its not the worst I've ever heard. Sirius in my Legacy I had with a HK system sounded more distorted. Don't even get me started on the radios in the 2019 Sonatas that I test drove prior to buying my 6. Their base 6 speaker system was the worst sound I have ever heard out of a modern vehicle and the upgraded 10 speaker Infinity system was just as bad. My 2012 Chevy Sonic had better speakers in it than the Sonata, LOL.

I disagree with turning CenterPoint off. I have a 2018 Mazda6 GT with Bose system that I bought about 6 months ago. At first I was disappointed--it always seemed either tinny or muddy. I tried different things, and looked into aftermarket upgrades. I decided I didn't want to pay several hundred dollars just to put some huge box in the car.

Finally, I noticed that if you turn both the bass and the treble all the way up (+6 on my system) it's amazing how much better the system sounds. You would think it would sound best at 0, but apparently that's not the case. Leave CenterPoint on. Keep the balance and fade at 0. The Bose system seems to like acoustical type sounds better than heavy metal-type stuff with a lot of distortion. It is true that the bass is never really booming. But it really is amazing how much bass there is, and how good it sounds, if you max out both bass and treble. If you try to split it you will lose sound quality. Occasionally you get a song that's too buzzy, or that causes the bass to clip (that does happen occasionally). Then you just drop the bass or treble a notch and put it back when that song is over. I decided I like the Bose system using those settings.

Also, I agree with others on this forum who recommend using an iPod. For some reason, music coming off an iPod through USB sounds a lot better that over Sirius XM radio. I really didn't like the interface coming off my phone, plus I don't like having to plug my iPhone in every time I get in the car.

I'm glad now that I didn't mess with the Bose system. It actually has great quality, and it is crystal clear. With CenterPoint on, you can hear instruments and backup vocals coming from different directions, and I find it to be quite enjoyable to listen to. It may also be that it takes a few months for the bass to "break in."

As a long time musician, sound tech/audio engineer, installer and car nut:
Turn the Center Point off. All it does is add more midrange and takes out low end in the door speakers lowering the sound stage and bringing it closer to your body position in the middle of the car instead of "in the dash" where a band would be if at a concert. In my 6, i did a +1 or 2 to the front, but in my 3, i did a -1 to the rear as it balances the rear door speakers which are almost in line with my ears.
I posted elsewhere that the BT and USB suck vs. the AUX input, so i run my phone through the AUX and use that for my music. Because of this, i can use the EQ on my phone and ive attached the settings. This actually gives the Blose a decent, almost balanced sound with "plenty" of low end, although it only comes from the doors (it doesnt transmit to your butt as well as a body mounted sub would).
With these EQ settings, you can adjust the "global" settings with the stock system a click or two as needed, but i keep mine on +6 all the time, save for bass heavy music and take 1 or 2 out.

Attachments

As a long time musician, sound tech/audio engineer, installer and car nut:
Turn the Center Point off. All it does is add more midrange and takes out low end in the door speakers lowering the sound stage and bringing it closer to your body position in the middle of the car instead of "in the dash" where a band would be if at a concert. In my 6, i did a +1 or 2 to the front, but in my 3, i did a -1 to the rear as it balances the rear door speakers which are almost in line with my ears.

With these EQ settings, you can adjust the "global" settings with the stock system a click or two as needed, but i keep mine on +6 all the time, save for bass heavy music and take 1 or 2 out.

Ok, I will try that too. I predominately listen to SiriusXM or FM radio and if nothing is to my liking I’ll plug in my USB drive. So my settings are geared more towards those types of audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I will try that too. I predominately listen to SiriusXM or FM radio and if nothing is to my liking I’ll plug in my USB drive. So my settings are geared more towards those types of audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SXM has the lowest bit rate IIRC of any streaming service. So yea, itll sound like shit. Ive been re-ripping my CD's to WMA lossless and the difference over 320kbps i had it at before, its insanely noticeable even on the Blose.

2018 Bose system

I made this adjustment to my system and you are right, it sounds a LOT better! I had an issue with my L door speaker vibrating, and the dealer replaced it under warranty, but it's still doing it a little. Making the sound change actually has minimized the problem. I was doing minor bass/treble tweaks with no luck. I also tweaked the fade back a notch to rear-that center point speaker takes over sometimes. I like my sound to wrap around me.

I made this adjustment to my system and you are right, it sounds a LOT better! I had an issue with my L door speaker vibrating, and the dealer replaced it under warranty, but it's still doing it a little. Making the sound change actually has minimized the problem. I was doing minor bass/treble tweaks with no luck. I also tweaked the fade back a notch to rear-that center point speaker takes over sometimes. I like my sound to wrap around me.
Are you sure its the speaker and not the door/panel? My mirror cap even vibrates.

I am not sure. It is possible. When I took the car in (I bought it 1 week prior) They said that both RT and L door speakers needed to be replaced. I didn't notice a problem with the RT door. The left was really bad. I am actually checking different areas of the panel (hard pressing) to see if it affects the buzzing or not. I would hope that it's not the speaker (I play my music on the loud side, but not that loud!)

Even if its the speaker, you can fix it easily. I play mine loud and EQ'd for a ton of bass, with a preamp, so it really pounds compared to plain stock.

It's ok. Just slightly above what any other car has standard. But I have a friend that drives a really old toyota and he says it's pretty good. It all depends what you're used to. Tbh I doubt I could tell the difference between a bose and non bose mazda 6
Had a 2017 Elantra with the Infinity system. I honestly can’t say if it was better than the Bose System in my “6” GTR. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Any more, I just turn on the tunes from my iPhone via Bluetooth, and motor on down the boulevard. Good enough for me. At 73 years and several months, plus 38% deaf in R ear and 29% in L ear, just hearing everything is good enough to satisfy me. LOL My audiophile days are behind me. 😂

thought this was interesting:
Signs That Will Tell You're an Audiophile
  1. You Crave New Audio Gear Frequently.
  2. You Are Familiar With Audio Jargon.
  3. You Believe That Expensive Cables Can Make A Difference In Sound Quality.
  4. You Still Buy Vinyl Records.

Since I opted for the MT, the Bose/moonroof package was out of play.

Wondering if I am missing out on some incredible sound that even non -audiophiles can appreciate.

Anyone with a GT or the package care to share their impressions on the value of the 11 speaker system and whether it's a juggernaut of some sort?
It took a bit of getting used to, and playing with the settings (I got a great tip that setting the bass and treble all the way to max balanced the sound better-and it did)
I like the sound quality better now, especially with CD's, and ipod (2016's didn't have Google car play or Apple play).

2018 Bose system

I completely agree, isn't there also a thread here on how to optimize the bose system to get the best out of it?

Not a thread, but i keep screaming on how to make it sound better and no, Centerpoint isnt the way.

Not a thread, but i keep screaming on how to make it sound better and no, Centerpoint isnt the way.
Depends on the song and person, I personally like the CenterPoint with songs that have vocals as it creates a single point, kinda like if someone is actually singing in your car. On the other hand, for dubstep or other music, CenterPoint is awful as a more surrounding feel is better. I set my Treble & bass to max (6) and move the fade two clicks to the back. Centerpoint is on usually, not sure what autopilot really does but I change it every time I get on the settings to hopefully notice a difference and understand it.

Depends on the song and person, I personally like the CenterPoint with songs that have vocals as it creates a single point, kinda like if someone is actually singing in your car. On the other hand, for dubstep or other music, CenterPoint is awful as a more surrounding feel is better. I set my Treble & bass to max (6) and move the fade two clicks to the back. Centerpoint is on usually, not sure what autopilot really does but I change it every time I get on the settings to hopefully notice a difference and understand it.
Audiopilot is supposed to adjust the sound level as interior noise increases. I don't even know if it works or not, but I'm not a fan of Bose so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

I completely agree, isn't there also a thread here on how to optimize the bose system to get the best out of it?
To get the best sound out of it........yes, replace the bose system. Just kidding.....sorta

Sound is subject. Best way to get decent sound out of a stock system is just spend some time playing around with the eq, treble/bass, fade, etc. Find something to your liking and listen to it for a few days before attempting to change.

I have a particular quirk on evaluating sound separation between channels. Onto my phone I downloaded a song titled “Lucky Man,” by the 70’s rock group, Emerson Lake, and Palmer.

if you have never experienced this song on a quality sound system, you’re missing a real treat. Stay for the end!

Audiopilot is supposed to adjust the sound level as interior noise increases. I don't even know if it works or not, but I'm not a fan of Bose so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.
Ahh, definitely turning it off, I can only imagine yelling at my friend for him to hear me just for the sound system to get louder 😹

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.