Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
I briefly had a 95, which was a second gen and the last year offered with a stick. Great engine but the car's build quality left a lot to be desired. I gave it some tlc and prettied it up and sold it for a nice little profit of $1,200. This was it:
Interesting trivia: this car, from '89 - '95, had an MTX-4 transaxle... Ford - branded, built by Mazda. The MTX-4 was a more heavy-duty version of the MTX-3... which was used for all of the years of the Ford Tempo / Mercury Topaz... (other than the rare MTX-2 4-speed version) - I think 1984 - 1994. Actually, the MTX-3 was a decent-enough shifting 'box. I happen to have the factory workshop maual - and there are unmistakable similarities with our Gen3 C66M-R 'box... including shaft oiling funnels, "poor-boy" speed-gears running on splined, oil-fed journals (i.e. not split-cage needle bearings like on my Camry S51 Aisin 'box). Notwithstanding the mildly inferior design - these 'boxes go-the-distance...

Mazda Engineering, again!

·
Registered
35 Posts
The death rate for older people is extremely high. When it hits a retirement community, it is devastating. It may not be bad for you and me but if we get it, we may give it to our older relatives and neighbors who will pay the price.

I suspect I may never see my father again if it spreads to his assisted living facility before a cure/vaccine is developed.

Look at the growth in the number of deaths each day and draw the line for 6 months and tell me if it still looks like no big deal.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
IHME model update today now says it's literally a flu in terms of expected deaths.

Not kidding -- literally a flu.

The flu kills old and ill people all the time. We don't spazz about it. One of the worst vectors for this thing, which was screamingly obvious since Kirkland, is the utterly deplorable infection control in nursing homes. Add to that the number of nursing home workers who moonlight doing home health care and you've got a horrid problem with any infectious disease, especially one that can be spread through feces (as this one can), given the percentage of people in those residences that are incontinent.

The only effective way to fight any infectious agent is to identify the vectors and address them. Locking down entire populations does not work, especially if you exempt some segment that you deem essential and that's where one or more of the vectors are! Well, that's exactly what happened here.

Many of the people here aren't old enough to remember HIV when it first showed up. I am. It was screamingly obvious very quickly that the bathhouses in San Francisco were a major vector -- in fact, the largest one. The CDC knew it too. The mayor at the time (now a Senator) refused to close them because she was afraid of being voted out of her job. The result was nearly a half-million Americans shoved in the hole over the coming years, at least half of whom did not have to die.

This is not the first time we've refused to go where the data leads us for political reasons; last time we killed a lot of people, this time we killed the entire economy.

@DPAcpa - Prophylaxis may work. The government knows this too; over 3 million Americans have RA or Lupus, and HCQ is used as a front-line drug for both. Are those people showing up with Covid-19 in representation to the population? Is the difference statistically significant? If they're effectively not getting it at all that's really strong evidence that it works as a prophylaxis, and it's "free" data in that nobody has to take a drug they wouldn't otherwise take (that is, it's zero risk.) They know whether this is true as they've got the admissions profiles on everyone who comes through the door. So where's the data?

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Interesting trivia: this car, from '89 - '95, had an MTX-4 transaxle... Ford - branded, built by Mazda. The MTX-4 was a more heavy-duty version of the MTX-3... which was used for all of the years of the Ford Tempo / Mercury Topaz... (other than the rare MTX-2 4-speed version) - I think 1984 - 1994. Actually, the MTX-3 was a decent-enough shifting 'box. I happen to have the factory workshop maual - and there are unmistakable similarities with our Gen3 C66M-R 'box... including shaft oiling funnels, "poor-boy" speed-gears running on splined, oil-fed journals (i.e. not split-cage needle bearings like on my Camry S51 Aisin 'box). Notwithstanding the mildly inferior design - these 'boxes go-the-distance...

Mazda Engineering, again!
Interesting! I didn't realize there was a Mazda trans in there. Makes sense!

·
Administrator
8,488 Posts
Here's a topic that's been talked about lately.

Are there driving RESTRICTIONS (other than "essential" personnel) in your state (or country) right now?

Here in NY, we have our work-at-home rule unless you're considered essential. BUT, no police force or State Troopers are setting up roadblocks, nor pulling people over just to check credentials. In other words, we're still able to drive when and where we choose! It helps me to get out in the 6 every other day or so, just to leave the house. It doesn't mean that I'm going to any specific place and ignoring social distancing rules, I just walk from my place to my car, then back to my place again. No harm, no foul.

I've heard that Florida is limiting access to the Keys only to residents, and no one else. Anyone else?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Here's a topic that's been talked about lately.

Are there driving RESTRICTIONS (other than "essential" personnel) in your state (or country) right now?

Here in NY, we have our work-at-home rule unless you're considered essential. BUT, no police force or State Troopers are setting up roadblocks, nor pulling people over just to check credentials. In other words, we're still able to drive when and where we choose! It helps me to get out in the 6 every other day or so, just to leave the house. It doesn't mean that I'm going to any specific place and ignoring social distancing rules, I just walk from my place to my car, then back to my place again. No harm, no foul.

I've heard that Florida is limiting access to the Keys only to residents, and no one else. Anyone else?
My brother in law in NC has been getting pulled over almost daily. He drives a Honda Civic that's had some work done to it as a daily and I'm sure that doesn't help. So far all he's had to do is show his papers and they let him go on. Here in FL it is true about the Keys and they currently have incoming traffic into the state diverted to a checkpoint looking for people coming in from hot spots.

I haven't been out driving around because I haven't needed to get anything lol.

I will say that I'm about tired of all of it. I normally don't like talking about politics or religion period especially on a car forum but at this point I truly feel that there is some sort of big hidden agenda in all of this. I need to ask, did anyone else watch the press conference last night and once the video started playing, Did your new stations STOP and switch coverage? All but 1 local channel here in Jacksonville stopped showing the conference!! They went to "Breaking weather alert" for a storm that had passed an hour before the conference started. I had to go digging to find it again. It was a little odd that it just proved one of the theories out there that the press is hyping up the virus and not allowing the truth out trying to keep people scared.

Trump wants to get things back rolling again but many others are wanting to stay the way it is. Me personally I'm unsure of anything right not but I do know that I don't want to take some sort of MANDATORY vaccine. I'll let a whole lot of others jump in that line before I get in lol.

·
Super Moderator
17,211 Posts
Lol, I always try to stay out of politics, and will continue to do so, but I'll say I don't disagree with most of what Ticker is saying.

I spend my life looking at the greater good, and I don't think forcing every last person to stay inside, while the world's greatest country watches its economy crumble. But, I'm still an optimist and think we'll be back on our feet in no time - our country and world have been through a LOT worse, we'll be just fine.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts