Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this "holwing"? What is it? I have 550miles on my week old car and the noise from the rearend at 40-50mph (loudist at 45mph) is getting worse. My dealer said it was a brakepad and rotor that need to be fixed(doing it next week when parts come in)

·
Registered
41 Posts
My car does that too :(

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Mine does it also at about 47 mph.

Pull the ebrake up just a little when your moving and the sound will stop. It's the rear differential, and has nothing to do with your brakes.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Pull the ebrake up just a little when your moving and the sound will stop. It's the rear differential, and has nothing to do with your brakes.
[/b]
I was just noticing this myself on my week old speed as well. i thought i left a window cracked or something. Is there a recall on this? What is wrong with the diff???

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I was just noticing this myself on my week old speed as well. i thought i left a window cracked or something. Is there a recall on this? What is wrong with the diff???
[/b]

There have been a coupel of posts saying that even after the differential was replaced the new one made the same noise. So I don't think there is really a problem it might just be a characteristic of the differential.

I can't really hear it unless I drive around with the radio off, so I'm just going to wait and see if it gets any worse--if it does I'll have them replace the differential.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I can't really hear it unless I drive around with the radio off, so I'm just going to wait and see if it gets any worse--if it does I'll have them replace the differential.
[/b]
Same here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
LOL I just got my car back from the dealer this morning. They replaced the rear diff. The form I signed said it was $4,500 for the parts and labor billed to Mazda... I'm not sure if the sound is gone but dang I hope so, thats a lot of wasted money.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I commented on this a while ago. My whine is still there (damn ford diff) but hasnt gotten any louder. Changed out the rear diff fuid too, nice and silvery.
[/b]
Is that really a Ford rear end? I was under the impression that it was the rear end from the RX-8...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

[/b]
If you pull up the e-brake then you are disengaging the read diff and removing the AWD aspect from the vehicle. Get it fixed instead of ignoring the problem

I commented on this a while ago. My whine is still there (damn ford diff) but hasnt gotten any louder. Changed out the rear diff fuid too, nice and silvery.
[/b]
Like Wigum said it's a Mazda diff and not a ford, when you changed the fluid did you have it tested to see what material the "silvery" part was?

I know on the GTO forums people compain about a similar noise from their rear diff and the solution was to change out the fluid with some good MTX fluid

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
If you pull up the e-brake then you are disengaging the read diff and removing the AWD aspect from the vehicle.[/b]
I wasn't suggesting that he should drive around like that, just telling him how to disengage the differential
to show him that it is a differential issue and not a problem with his brakes as his dealership was suggesting.

Get it fixed instead of ignoring the problem
[/b]
I'm not going to waste my time, or my mechanic's by having him replace the differential until we know that it will fix the problem. My dealership knows there is an issue and if it gets worse or mazda releases a TSB, I'll have them fix it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you pull up the e-brake then you are disengaging the read diff and removing the AWD aspect from the vehicle. Get it fixed instead of ignoring the problem
Like Wigum said it's a Mazda diff and not a ford, when you changed the fluid did you have it tested to see what material the "silvery" part was?

I know on the GTO forums people compain about a similar noise from their rear diff and the solution was to change out the fluid with some good MTX fluid
[/b]

Diff housing says FOMOCO so that would lead me to believe its from Ford.

Its normal early on to have the diff fluid greyish, thats why i changed it out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mine whines at 45 too.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Seriously, the best thing you can do is just take it into the dealer.

I can't believe Mazda hasn't announced a recall/TSB yet.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts