Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Mazda6 S without the Bose system, and im looking to upgrading the speakers and adding my subs…. How hard is this to do? Does the stock headunit have sub outs, and how do it convert it RCA (for the subs)

I have an alpine amp for the speakers, and I have a mono-block amp for my 2 12’ subs…. How in the heck, do I get that to work without replace the very nice looking stock head unit? And would it even be worth it? There both nice amps and wont add distortion…

Please let me know any input you have-

Thank you-

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I just bought a Mazda6 S without the Bose system, and im looking to upgrading the speakers and adding my subs…. How hard is this to do? Does the stock headunit have sub outs, and how do it convert it RCA (for the subs)

I have an alpine amp for the speakers, and I have a mono-block amp for my 2 12’ subs…. How in the heck, do I get that to work without replace the very nice looking stock head unit? And would it even be worth it? There both nice amps and wont add distortion…

Please let me know any input you have-

Thank you-
[/b]
You can splice off the rear speakers.

Do your research though... :) Search :) this site and others before even thinking about changing anything.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Use line out coverters. Your gonna need 2. They convert each speaker channel into a preamp level that you can use for your amps. Your gonna use your RCA output on your four channel for your mono block. I'd recommend useing RCA's for sound quality and not the ine level inouts on the amp. You'll catch everything behind the radio.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Use line out coverters. Your gonna need 2. They convert each speaker channel into a preamp level that you can use for your amps. Your gonna use your RCA output on your four channel for your mono block. I'd recommend useing RCA's for sound quality and not the ine level inouts on the amp. You'll catch everything behind the radio.
[/b]
FWIW..

RCA cables do not produce better sound quality than high-level inputs. In fact, it's quite the opposite. A higher voltage signal is less susceptible to noise than a low-voltage signal. That's why you see amplifier brands like Zapco use balanced line transmitters with built-in line drivers - to crank out a 16 volt, balanced signal that doesn't absorb noise quite as easily. Or Eclipse using an 8 volt unbalanced signal. Many of the 8 volt Eclipse head units literally required the amplifier's gains turned all the way down.

A line-out converter simply brings the signal voltage down to a more "universal" level through RCA's. For example, volume 24 on the head unit provides approximately 10 volts of signal. When you use a line out converter, it breaks the signal down to approximately 2 volts (like PAC's SNI-5, it has a 5:1 reduction ratio). Will you hear a difference? Yes. You don't have to crank the gains nearly as high on the amp - you're no longer risking more noise, or clipping. So why use RCA's anyway? The main advantage of using RCA cables is because virtually every amplifier out there has RCA inputs. Maybe 25% of all amps out there have high-level inputs. Given a choice, I'd always use high-level. That being said, my amplifier only has RCA inputs. :) I use a Navone N-774 line out converter with the voltage cranked at maximum - 9.5 volts. My amplifier's gains are not very cranked at all.

LinkinX,

My advice would be to use the high level inputs on your 4-channel amplifier, if possible, to reduce the possibility of signal noise. If your amps only have RCA inputs, then use a high-quality LOC like the Navone, JL Cleansweep, or Rockford 3sixty.2. My personal tastes lean against the usage of rear speakers - thus I would only tap off of the front speaker leads (the rear speaker signal has a nasty response curve that is badly bandpassed) and maybe look at getting a good 2-way crossover like an Audiocontrol 24XS - these are on ebay for $50 or so.

·
Registered
703 Posts
theres a higher signal to noise ratio with line level than there is with pre amps. Most amps are compatible with high voltage premap inputs. Line levels arent sheilded, they more subjective to RF interferenence. You have a possibilty if overdriving the amps with higher voltage inputs. Volume wont be he same unless you cut down the gains on the amp, most of the time below the amps nominal gain setting. Amps gotta do more work work with line level therefor less effcient. Using spkr levels you get more voltage spikes, level continuosly changes and is more random.

Al in all,its your decision. I just recomeend good LOC and good RCA vs line levels.

BTW, he doesnt have the Bose system, rear spkr doesnt have that nasty eq curve like the Bose system does.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The higher voltage reduces the risk of RF interference and eliminates the need for shielding. If this were the case, all speaker wires in an audio system would be shielded. And if an amp can accept high-level inputs anyways, just use them.

And the non-Bose system is the one that DOES have the EQ curve on the rears. Check the sticky. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts