Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've found some wheels on craigslist that look awesome I'll try to post pics later but before I make an offer I want input. I want wheels that will bolt right on, no funny stuff - no rolling, no pulling, no rubbing, no issues, I want to keep it simple.

The wheels are 18x8 and I THINK the tires are around a 225/40 ish in size. The wheels have an offset of 40 and my car is lowered only a half an inch with no plans of going any lower ever because new England roads SUCK and I like the drivability of my car.
My only concern is that I've heard to try to no go lower than 42 offset on our cars, plus I don't know how much that half inch drop will effect things?

I appreciate any feedback.

Sorry in advance for any typos I'm writing this on an iPod touch and it's a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a regular 6 (not the Mazdaspeed), so I cannot speak with certainty here. However, when I was searching for wheels, I found that the rear fender really limited my choices on the offset. More specifically, RX8 wheels are 18X8 with a +50 offset and I believe those fit our cars with no mods. However, the same size wheel with a +40 offset is going to push the wheel further out, probably to the point that it will hit your stock, unrolled fender. According to tirerack.com, they recommend 18X8 wheels with at least +48 offset, probably for this very reason. Pay attention to the size of the tire. If it has a larger diameter or is wider, this will work against you as well. Last, don't forget to check the center bore of the wheel to make sure it will fit your hub which is 67.1 mm. If it's larger, you'll need hub centric rings. If it's smaller, they won't fit.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
18x8 +40 will likely rub. You'd need an moderate roll to tuck them on a regular 6. You guys have mysteriously bigger fender but I think you'll still need a slight roll on a speed.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sucks how much 8mm can do... The guy had the wheels looking at on his RX8 but I'm sure that car is more flexible than ours in regards to what wheels fit. I guess the reason I'm looking for something that simply bolts on is because I've never had to worry about fitment on any of my previous cars. What exactly is involved in fender rolling? Seems a lot of people with 6's and speed 6's end up having to do it to get things to fit right so maybe it wouldn't be tooooo much of a pain.. I have a friend that works at town fair tire too so I'm looking into some wheels there to see what I can get as a deal from him (especially since its the end of the season - figured I may be able to get a good break) so if these wheels on craigslist dont work out my options are still open, but I doubt I'll get a price as good as craigslist hah.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It's incredibly easy; heatgun + fender rolling tool + an hour of your time = rim fitment delight. Look up a video on youtube on fender rolling for further detail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts