Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone who has done this surgery tell me how it is?

I read that you can use 15mm and 20mm spacers, as long as you use some GM bolts. Wouldn't this be a pain in the ass every time the tires have to be rotates or removed?

Would the mechanic mess it up?

How do you do this installation?

·
Registered
74 Posts
What? You would need extended studs. A shop should be able to change that out for about 2-3 hours worth of labor.

·
Banned
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What? You would need extended studs. A shop should be able to change that out for about 2-3 hours worth of labor.
I read that it puts a lot of stress on the wheel bearing and other components, not to mention, wouldn't they be open ended lug nuts or whatever? They also have to be torqued properly or something. Let's say I rotate tires every 5 months. Every tire rotation, I or the mechanic, would have to torque them properly, otherwise, problems could happen?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I read that it puts a lot of stress on the wheel bearing and other components, not to mention, wouldn't they be open ended lug nuts or whatever? They also have to be torqued properly or something. Let's say I rotate tires every 5 months. Every tire rotation, I or the mechanic, would have to torque them properly, otherwise, problems could happen?
Don't overthink it. Yes, it is possible that you will cause more wheel bearing wear leading to premature wheel bearing failure. You have to determine if that's a risk you're willing to take to make the car look how you want.

1) Buy extended studs.
2) Buy open-ended lug nuts.
3) Tell shop to torque extended studs to factory specs.
4) Install spacer
5) Torque lug nuts to wheels as you would normally.

You should be fine using the same torque from factory. Once the spacers are installed, you shouldn't have to mess with them too much. You will not be moving the spacers, only the wheels.

Alternatively, you can buy spacer with studs on them, but that will require you to cut off a portion of the factory studs - again, not a huge deal.

·
Banned
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm being quoted $600 for powder coating wheels, is not cheaper because I have to drop my car off otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it. Then spacers + studs and the install by the shop. I can get flush wheel for $1000

or I could just powder coat the wheels and not do anything else lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
We ended up using McGard Acorn 711-305 lugnuts that were a little longer than the stock lugnuts. Really didnt want to run open ended lugnuts or cut the new ARP studs. Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
SusieT
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing