Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured why not? I think its pinny worthy :) I love the lights, but I am biased! LOL

Without further ado, here is the pdf of the instructions.
PLEASE NOTE: For all who have the new batch and have the PnP (Plug n Play) harness, you of course do not need this write up! :slap:

From Kevin, the guy who puts these things together here's a basic write up on how to wire up these PnP thingys...

-It is very easy to install. Please see the picture below.(The outer lights are 100% plug&play, the inner lights are also plug and paly but the wire harness need to be wired easily as in the picture. In fact, you can wire it up WITHOUT any cutting and splicing the stock wire harness of the car.You can insert the wire head into the stock plug and tape it tightly. I am intalling the lights now in my country without splicing a single wire.
-Please see the picture.
-In case of LED failure, you do not need to send the lamp back before you get a new one!!
-yes it is the same I think.
Pic 1: Plug for inner lamp

Pic 2: How to wire

Pic 3: How to wire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Excellent post!!!!! Thank you!!!!!
One question,.....in the instructions it makes reference to the "brake light mod".
Do you know what that is?

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (lawben @ May 28 2009, 11:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1566110
Excellent post!!!!! Thank you!!!!!
One question,.....in the instructions it makes reference to the "brake light mod".
Do you know what that is?[/b]
The brake light mod makes our tail lights light up. Before this mod our tails in NA are Xx_xX when the brakes are depressed. But when the tail light mod is done, all four lights light up like; XX_XX. Granted if you have a trained eye, one can see that the inner tails are ever so slightly dimmer but one cannot really notice it unless you stare at it day in and out, lol...

If you have a sedan follow this. But FYI, the best/easiest place to tap the brake/power is the spoiler light rather than the harness along the trunk.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=38792

If you have a HATCH use this...

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=20907

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (kpjimmy @ May 28 2009, 11:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1566118
The brake light mod makes our tail lights light up. Before this mod our tails in NA are Xx_xX when the brakes are depressed. But when the tail light mod is done, all four lights light up like; XX_XX. Granted if you have a trained eye, one can see that the inner tails are ever so slightly dimmer but one cannot really notice it unless you stare at it day in and out, lol...

If you have a sedan follow this. But FYI, the best/easiest place to tap the brake/power is the spoiler light rather than the harness along the trunk.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=38792

If you have a HATCH use this...

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=20907[/b]
so we NEED to do that brake light mod or is it your choice for installing the LED tails

·
Registered
83 Posts
Gentlemen - in doing this install I do not want to cut off the stock connector during pages 11-12 of the PDF. Has anyone been able to find a mating connector at the parts store which is a Mazda standard connector that we can just plug in to get some bare wire leads, and no have to hack up our OEM plugs? Or, maybe I am missing something... do the newer style CAR LED tails just plug right in without cutting the stock connector off?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the brake tails in easily...the reverse tails are so hard for some reason. Plus it doesn't fit into the space. There is about 1/2 inch of empty space that the reverse tail light should fit into. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (bguild @ May 30 2009, 01:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1566575
Gentlemen - in doing this install I do not want to cut off the stock connector during pages 11-12 of the PDF. Has anyone been able to find a mating connector at the parts store which is a Mazda standard connector that we can just plug in to get some bare wire leads, and no have to hack up our OEM plugs? Or, maybe I am missing something... do the newer style CAR LED tails just plug right in without cutting the stock connector off?[/b]
Your only other option is to splice the wires that correspond. I cut the OEM harness' with as much lead so if I would like to revert back to stock, I can just reconnect it with some connectors.

QUOTE (Ganley @ May 30 2009, 12:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1566658
I got the brake tails in easily...the reverse tails are so hard for some reason. Plus it doesn't fit into the space. There is about 1/2 inch of empty space that the reverse tail light should fit into. Maybe I am doing something wrong?[/b]
Post some pics of the area of both inside and out, so either me or justin can help you out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUOTE (kpjimmy @ May 28 2009, 10:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1566118
But FYI, the best/easiest place to tap the brake/power is the spoiler light rather than the harness along the trunk.[/b]
I totally agree, this is what I tapped while doing my LED install. The spoiler connecter is right next to the connectors for the left tail light and reverse light. All I did was take some speaker wire and a used one of the enclosed wire splicers, couldn't have been easier :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (StlMazda6 @ Jun 3 2009, 02:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1568525
I totally agree, this is what I tapped while doing my LED install. The spoiler connecter is right next to the connectors for the left tail light and reverse light. All I did was take some speaker wire and a used one of the enclosed wire splicers, couldn't have been easier :D[/b]
wow, i have the worse @#$%ing luck ever. so i tried doing the 3rd brake light mod on my leds tails and all of sudden my horn goes off and doesnt turn off. So i pull the horn relay or so it turned off. well then my brake lights and my hazards dont work now. Then my locks on my doors just kept locking and unlocking on their own. So i must of shorted something but i dont know what it was, checked a bunch of stuff couldnt find it. I pulled out my Aftermarket alarm and it was still doing it. So im gunna bring it to the dealer on mon because thats when i have my appointment. FML!

ps, is there anything different between a speed and a reg 6, what did i do wrong?

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (YouMadeMeInk @ Aug 15 2009, 11:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1592073
probably a noob question, but are these tail lights street legal? thanks. :D[/b]
Technically no. The reason is because in the NA models, we have the side bulge reflectors. The car-leds are the Euro type ones where they do not have it.

Now saying this, I have yet to hear any member get pulled over for the lights. If you do get cited for the lights, there was definitely another reason why you were pulled over. But for your peace of mind, if you are really worried, I would recommend you not even think of investing in these LEDs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does all this have to be done with the most recent batch of LED Tails? With the new wiring harness

·
Registered
841 Posts
i have 2 questions for the carLED guys.

I drive a speed6.

1) why is my blinker going at hyperspeed? (how do i fix it?)
2) for the "most inside" brake lights, is the best place to get a brake source the rear spoiler light?

trying to install right now and this mini-write up doesnt quite suffice (at least for ms6). thank you.

·
Registered
211 Posts
QUOTE (dane145 @ Jan 12 2010, 06:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1629292
i have 2 questions for the carLED guys.

I drive a speed6.

1) why is my blinker going at hyperspeed? (how do i fix it?)[/b]
Short answer to your question, its the resistor.

LED's draw less power then halogens, and your car thinks one of the lights is burnt out. I had the same problem with one of mine, the red wire from the resistor going into the light housing wasnt making a good connection. I contacted potential motor sports ( I bought mine through the GB) and they sent me a replacement.

My lights are on an S, not a speed6 but that shouldn't matter, and yes to my knowledge most of us used the 3rd brake light to draw power for the "brake light mod"

·
Banned
4 Posts
Thanks for the information provided becoz i don't know much about it after seeing threw it i got detailed information so i think now we can easily replace by ourselves or should i know anything about ?

Richardmatty9
BMW Accessories

1 - 20 of 27 Posts