Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was on my way to work I saw a site which I just couldn't believe, I pulled out my phone and took a picture of it just so that I could prove it.

Just to be clear on the warranty aspect, here is the quote from the owners manual about towing with your Mazda 3,

Everybody take our your owners manual and turn to chapter 4 page 14 topic: Trailer Towing,
"The Mazda3 is not designed for towing. Never tow a trailer with your Mazda3."

Im not sure if somebody read that and interpreted it the wrong way or what but here is the proof.

[attachmentid=17281]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
As I was on my way to work I saw a site which I just couldn't believe, I pulled out my phone and took a picture of it just so that I could prove it.

Just to be clear on the warranty aspect here is the quote from the owners manual about towing with your Mazda 3,

Everybody turn the page of their owners manual to chapter 4 page 14 topic: Trailer Towing,
"The Mazda3 is not designed for towing. Never tow a trailer with your Mazda3."

Im not sure if somebody read that and interpreted it the wrong way or what but here is the proof.

[attachmentid=17281]
[/b]
:nono:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats true, but if your planing a trip half way across canada and towing a trailer with you, that might be something you want to check on first. The car had Onatrio plates and the pic was taken in B.C. hopefully they didn't tow it all the way.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Uhaul has their own database that tells them if a car can pull a trailer (I think it is based on what the load capacity is of the vehicle). They have tow packages for almost any vehicle, and will sell them to you just to get your buisiness.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
No one reads manuals these days.
[/b]
Well, not to excuse someone for not reading it, but owner's manuals these days have become more of a politically correct "how to live" manual than actual operating instructions for the car.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Geez - that poor little 3...can you imagine that thing climbing Roger's Pass, having just driven 4000+kms from Ontario?

"Hrmmmm...what's that burning smell? And why is my transmission fluid black?"

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
See, this is the point that confuses me... why the heck can't we tow?

The 6 manual says the same thing, but only in North America. In Europe and elsewhere the manual actually says that you can tow up to XXXXX kgs/lbs.

The cars, as far as I know are indentical bodywise throughout the world.

I have a trailer hitch on my car, but only for a class 1 hitch, and I only use it for a bike carrier.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
That poor 3!!! I wonder how miles have just been robbed from it's life span. That just doesnt look proper. Power to weight that car had to be feeling wooped.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Uhaul has their own database that tells them if a car can pull a trailer (I think it is based on what the load capacity is of the vehicle). They have tow packages for almost any vehicle, and will sell them to you just to get your buisiness.
[/b]
I wouldn't put much faith in their database. U-Haul must have one of the worst vehicle fleets in North America. Ever notice that almost all their vehicles are plated with an Arizona license? Here's why:

--
Oddly enough, nearly every U-Haul truck is plated out of Arizona even if it has never left Canada, something Cam Woolley calls a loophole.

"When it's out of province like Arizona they can call their home state and say they lost the plate. The state has no way of knowing the circumstances on which the plate was seized."

Police can make sure an unsafe vehicle with Ontario plates doesn't get back on the road, but that's not necessarily the case if the plate is from out of the country. When a U-Haul plate is seized in Canada, the company could simply say the plate has gone missing and have new plates sent, no questions asked. This makes it much more difficult for police to track vehicles with poor safety records.
--

The complete article is at:CTV Investigation

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I wouldn't put much faith in their database. U-Haul must have one of the worst vehicle fleets in North America.
[/b]
Absolutely. I'll never rent another uhaul vehicle. Ever.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Unfortunately, many people still rent them and just cause you don't rent them, doesn't mean someone else will rent one that will have faulty brakes or something and go crashing into people.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well....I have full size truck and a 6X12 trailer. You just need to think not how to pull this weight -that easy!
How to stop that weight??? if trailer weight as much as a car! My Haulmark ,single axel 6x12 trailer weight 1400
lbs empty! and long time ago I did pull it with S-10 pick-up....Few times when it was wet I did stop,but in the middle of intersection :nono: and it was V6 small truck! I think it just not safe to do this ,You have to have enough brakes!

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
The reason they say no towing, must be just a liability thing. For example, they didn’t intend for you to tow anything. Yet, you towed a trailer and your brakes were overpowered and didn’t stop the car, and you got into an accident. To bad for you because Mazda said not to tow anything.

I honestly see no reason why the car couldn't tow something. I have a friend who towes 2 dirtbikes on a homemade trailer with his neon. Which is also not rated to tow anything. His trailer with both bikes weighs over 1000lbs, and yet he has never had a problem.

Or Mazda just didn't want to pay to have the vehicle tested in North America, because honestly if we are going to tow something, you get a HEMI!!! LOL.

My MPV is rated to tow you can get the accessory hitch from Mazda and it uses the same powertrain as the V6 Mazda6. The trailer hitch is the same design that Haroon has on his Mazda6. The only difference is that the MPV has mounting holes ready to accept the hitch. I believe it is also a Class 1, maybe Class 2, I haven't checked.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Well, not to excuse someone for not reading it, but owner's manuals these days have become more of a politically correct "how to live" manual than actual operating instructions for the car.
[/b]
The reason they say no towing, must be just a liability thing.[/b]
Exactly.

It's physically possible, but as Art originally mentioned, there's a good chance you'll mess up and void your warranty.

I'm starting to wonder if that car is from m3club...lmao :laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts