Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HOW TO: Upgrade to Bose "Display Audio" headunit (INCLUDES REVERSE CAMERA INFO)

Following in the footsteps of a few before me, I decided to upgrade to the 2010+ display audio head-unit in my 2009 Mazda6. I was able to snag a mint condition deck for $110 on eBay. For those not familiar with the unit, here's a picture of the head unit.

Needless to say, this is a NICE upgrade to the standard BOSE radio, and starting in 2012, Mazda started offering a reverse camera option for this head unit.

*** One note of caution, this unit will only work in a car that was originally equipped with the 10 speaker Bose CenterPoint audio system. ***

While the radio does improve the looks of the dash, there's one small problem. As it has been mentioned in another thread, adding this to a vehicle not originally equipped kills the AUX IN. After scouring the wiring diagrams for the standard Bose and Display Audio radios, and I've come up with a solution.

With the display audio unit, the AUX in is connected directly to the head unit. With the STANDARD Bose radio, the AUX in is fed in a daisy chain fashion into the bus that connects the Bluetooth audio and Sirius tuner.

Restoring the AUX IN function requires adding 5 pins to the 16-pin connector on the back of the radio.

For my project, I found a cheap lower dash harness from a 2010 Mazda 6. That said, any late model Mazda harness with AT LEAST 5 pins in the 16-pin connector will work. I will steal the necessary pins required for the 16 pin connector from my donor dash harness.

I also bought another AUX IN port/sub harness from a Speed3, so I will use that to create a second AUX IN connector. In my example, I'll end up with two 6-pin AUX in plugs in the center console area. The first will be the factory wiring that leads to the Bluetooth module. The second will be wired into the 5-pins I've added to the 16-pin connector that connects into the radio.

By doing this, I can switch back to the factory standard Bose radio and still retain the AUX IN function by using the original 6-pin AUX IN wiring in the center console area.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
SUCCESS:

Well, my hunch was right. After pouring over the wiring diagrams for the '09 and '10 Mazda 6s, I managed to figure out the AUX in issue.

For those of us that lost the AUX in feature after upgrading to the 10+ display audio head unit from a non display radio, I can verify that I was able to restore the operation on the AUX IN in my 2009 Mazda 6i GT 6MT.

It's not a super difficult mod, but it does require some custom wiring. In order to keep my car as stock looking as possible, I went the route of finding a used Mazda aux in module with the intermediate wiring harness.

I was really only interested in the 6 pin plug that fits into the AUX in jack. I managed to find the Mazda part number from a Mazda3, but found the used part and the AUX in jack for about the same money. Here's a pic of what I bought:

I ended up cutting the 6-pin plug as far away from the AUX in jack, which gave me about 6" of wire. I then made a custom 5 pin harness that I attached to the 5 pins needed I added into the 16-pin connector on the back of the radio.

For those looking to take a cheaper approach, one COULD cut the existing 5 pin wire harness near the emergency brake, thereby bypassing the daisy-chained connection to the Bluetooth module. By doing this however, you would no longer have a working AUX IN with your original factory radio. Regardless, you'd still need the 5 extra pins to insert into the 16-pin harness.

I ended up finding a complete Mazda 6 dash harness for under $50..which I used for this project and hopefully my NEXT wiring project. Thankfully, Mazda has used this same 16 pin connector for a number of years, so it's possible you could find a spare harness with the correct connector in a local junkyard.

This is the connector and the spare pins we're looking for. Keep in mind, the factory plug will be all white..but the visual appearance is the same.

Another source for the 16 pin connector and pins would be to find a Mazda satellite wiring kit.

Do a search for 0000-81-H26A or 0000-81-H27A. Both parts can be found for about $30 on eBay. Both include about 5 feet of wiring needed for the new AUX IN harness, but more importantly the EXTRA PINS necessary to restore the AUX IN function to the 2010+ head unit.

Here's the wiring diagram for the 2010+ Bose Display Audio AUX IN:

And here's the wiring diagram for the 16-pin connector on the back of the radio:

The wires at PINS 2A, 2I, 2K, 2L and 2M are what needs to be added to restore the AUX IN function for the Bose Display Audio head unit.

As I mentioned before, with the standard Bose head-unit, the AUX IN is wired in through the Bluetooth AND the Sirius radio module, so the 5 PINS listed above are missing and need to be added.

Finally, here are a couple pics of the factory AUX IN jack working in my '09 6i GT with the 2010 head unit installed:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
UPDATE...REVERSE CAMERA WORKING:

Well, as I mentioned in my previous posts, I upgraded to the Bose DISPLAY AUDIO radio and was also able to get the AUX IN working on my '09 6i GT.

The next part of my project was to get the reverse camera working. After Google'ing 16 pin audio connectors, I came across a picture of a Toyota radio. After comparing the CD changer/XM radio connector on this Toyota radio, I thought it looked identical to the 16 pin connector that Mazda used on the Display audio radio. After a bit more searching, I was able to find a Y-Harness online that would give me the female connector I needed to start wiring in the reverse camera.

This was the original picture that I stumbled across showing the Toyota connector:

As far as I could tell from the pictures, it's the same connector as the one Mazda used for the reverse camera on the 2010+ display audio head unit seen here:

So seeing the harness was under $11..I figured, what the heck..take a chance. Well, my hunch paid off. The y-harness I bought on eBay is a direct fit for the reverse camera jack on the back of the 2010+ display audio head unit.

I have a Pioneer reverse camera kit that I was hoping to adapt to this unit. I ran into a small problem as my Pioneer camera requires 12v, and the Mazda head unit only supplies 6v to the camera. But once I fed an alternate 12 volt switched feed into my camera power supply....BINGO

For those interested, here's a link to the adapter I bought. It's labeled as a 12 pin Toyota/Lexus CD changer/satellite radio harness..but it fits perfectly.

Toyota 6x6 Y Cable Splitter for Aux CD Changer Navigation XM iPod Adapter | eBay

Here's the wiring diagram I used to wire up my camera. This view is looking from the rear (wire side) of the connector.

And FINALLY...here are a couple pics showing a demo of the working camera as well as the finished result:

More info and wiring instructions to follow...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Camera wiring diagram:

This shows the 12-pin DISPLAY AUDIO as well as the 4-pin Mazda6 navigation unit camera wiring.

Pins 4G + 4L MUST be spliced together as the camera detect wire (4L) requires a ground connection. Whether you're using a 12v or 6v camera, you can use PIN 4G for your camera's power ground. If you're using a standard 12v reverse camera, you'll need to splice into a 12v source elsewhere in the vehicle, as PIN 4E only supplies 6volts.

As mentioned above, Pin 4E only supplies 6volts.

4D is the composite video positive wire (the center post of a standard yellow RCA cable)

4F is the video ground wire (the circular outer part of an RCA cable)

I picked up an RCA female to pigtail connector from eBay which I spliced into the 12-pin Toyota harness listed above.

Here's a link to the eBay item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331147683784?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Here's another option for wiring in a starndard RCA backup camera:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-Speaker-Wire-Cable-to-FEMALE-RCA-Connector-Adapter-Jack-Plug-Bose-/321681577248?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae5b75520

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Does this newer head-unit have an HD-Radio tuner? I would do the upgrade if it gets me HD-Radio or perhaps display song information from blue tooth audio.

Does it support either of those features?
This unit doesn't support HD radio, but it does support RDS and with a current Android phone does support song info over Bluetooth. Oddly, neither an iPhone 5c or 6 running iOS 9.x will display song info over Bluetooth through this head unit. I'm guessing Apple must be using a different/unsupported Bluetooth protocol for text info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey jhill,

I am picking up a 2009 6i GT with the stock bose Head Unit, and also just noticed a decent display unit on sale locally for $55.

I dont really care for the aux, i do care about Bluetooth, steering controls, and rearview cam working.
My questions are:
1. do all steering controls work, including the phone receive and end call buttons?
2. are all display radios compatible with a rearview camera?
3. For the camera to work, I need to tap power for the camera from reverse light, and use the Toyota harness to run the video cables from camera into the head unit?

Or am I missing anything? excuse my noobiness.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
This unit doesn't support HD radio, but it does support RDS and with a current Android phone does support song info over Bluetooth. Oddly, neither an iPhone 5c or 6 running iOS 9.x will display song info over Bluetooth through this head unit. I'm guessing Apple must be using a different/unsupported Bluetooth protocol for text info.
And the marketplace HAS adapted to that. It's just that the current Bluetooth hardware module in the car does not recognize the new protocols. For that fix; I found a newly manufactured module is the way to go. See a previous topic where I discuss this. It might help. :grin2:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/car-electronics/383737-bose-nav-radio-upgrade-bluetooth-fix.html

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey jhill,

I am picking up a 2009 6i GT with the stock bose Head Unit, and also just noticed a decent display unit on sale locally for $55.

I dont really care for the aux, i do care about Bluetooth, steering controls, and rearview cam working.
My questions are:
1. do all steering controls work, including the phone receive and end call buttons?
2. are all display radios compatible with a rearview camera?
3. For the camera to work, I need to tap power for the camera from reverse light, and use the Toyota harness to run the video cables from camera into the head unit?

Or am I missing anything? excuse my noobiness.
Yes, all the steering controls work without issue.

I believe as long as your display radio had the necessary camera port, the Toyota harness I discussed above will allow you to add the backup camera.

And lastly, you'll need to supply 12v to your backup camera, either by tapping into your reverse lights or from the radio harness. The Pioneer camera I used has a small brick transformer module that I ended up zip trying to the transmission mount in the passenger cabin.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did this like 2 weeks ago. Following write up although my 2010 gt already came with bose mini display radio so I only needed toyota port and rca cable to the trunk. Also changed reverse lights.

Thanks a lot jhill for write up and figuring out everything. Made this quite a breeze install.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did this like 2 weeks ago. Following write up although my 2010 gt already came with bose mini display radio so I only needed toyota port and rca cable to the trunk. Also changed reverse lights.

Thanks a lot jhill for write up and figuring out everything. Made this quite a breeze install.

I'm glad I was able to help Puska83. I love hearing others being able to benefit from my efforts..one of the things I love about this forum.
Now if we could just get the moderators to sticky this thread, so others might see it. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I actually saw your write up when I start looking into getting 2nd gen Mazda 6 and didn't mind if the car doesn't have backup camera as long as it has bose mini display as I knew I will be able to add it. So I ordered all the parts while waiting on dealer to prepare the car. So yeah only pain was removing the center vent as it was so firmly tucked in.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually saw your write up when I start looking into getting 2nd gen Mazda 6 and didn't mind if the car doesn't have backup camera as long as it has bose mini display as I knew I will be able to add it. So I ordered all the parts while waiting on dealer to prepare the car. So yeah only pain was removing the center vent as it was so firmly tucked in.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
I agree, the center vents are a PAIN to get out. But I've found the clips have loosened up a bit the move I've taken the center stack apart with my BOSE NAV mods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts