Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

OK.. after much ado, trial, tribulation, and failure, I've noticed that while there is a plethora of information on this topic available on this board, its entirely too scattered for anyone who wants an easy to find and concise writeup on how to put Acura TSX projectors in to their stock headlamp housings.

Here are some beam pics...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thank you so much for making this write-up. I'm going to be doing my retrofit soon, hopefully..

·
Registered
693 Posts
how are you making sure the cutoff is horizontal?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
QUOTE (nic @ Feb 26 2009, 11:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1525858
how are you making sure the cutoff is horizontal?[/b]

Once you have everything put back together, but before you put the lenses back on the housings, you put the housings back on the car and fire them up. If they are off horizontally then you can take them out and adjust the three holes holding the projectors. Then put them back in the car to check again. Once they are good reseal the housings and then put them back in the car for good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (USAF 6S @ Feb 26 2009, 11:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1525865
Once you have everything put back together, but before you put the lenses back on the housings, you put the housings back on the car and fire them up. If they are off horizontally then you can take them out and adjust the three holes holding the projectors. Then put them back in the car to check again. Once they are good reseal the housings and then put them back in the car for good.[/b]

I've updated the write-up to reflect this oversight, along with clarification of what parts are needed depending on your factory configuration.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
47 Posts
Time spent for retrofit and cost...
5-6 hours?
$175-200 for projectors? ebay?
$90 for 35w d2s hid kit?

This sound about right?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (michaelp @ Mar 6 2009, 10:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1529544
Time spent for retrofit and cost...
5-6 hours?
$175-200 for projectors? ebay?
$90 for 35w d2s hid kit?

This sound about right?[/b]
Yeah that is a pretty good estimate. I got my projectors for about 150 on ebay. Clear lense.

·
Registered
36 Posts
would using acura rl projectors be any better for output? or probably the same or maybe not even work? sorry i doubt not many have tried it with an rl's projectors

·
Registered
168 Posts
QUOTE (chrisw9061 @ Nov 17 2009, 07:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1617447
would using acura rl projectors be any better for output? or probably the same or maybe not even work? sorry i doubt not many have tried it with an rl's projectors[/b]
I am pretty sure RL projectors are bi-xenon. Therefore they will likely not fit inside of our cramped housings. I am sure you could make it work, but it would require a lot of hacking and probably some donor shrouds. TSX are tight enough, so thats why i dont think theyll fit. s2000s are a nice alternative if you can find them.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
QUOTE (muSh @ Nov 17 2009, 08:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1617448
I am pretty sure RL projectors are bi-xenon. Therefore they will likely not fit inside of our cramped housings. I am sure you could make it work, but it would require a lot of hacking and probably some donor shrouds. TSX are tight enough, so thats why i dont think theyll fit. s2000s are a nice alternative if you can find them.[/b]
Wrong... RL projector are single low beam.. not bi-xenon
and yes they fit just fine with less modification than TSX or RDX...
and if you ask me... i have them all... TSX- RL and currently running with RDX ,the first and not the only one...

·
Registered
336 Posts
i just recently did my TSX retro and it looks terrible

the aiming is wayyy off, not to mention the passenger side projector is sitting a little behind the bezel like it's supposed to. while the driver side is sitting way too close. i want to say it has something to do with aiming, but it looks very bad and im not satisfied at all with it

havent had time to take pics but will do soon since it's annoying me

·
Registered
168 Posts
QUOTE (block8head @ Nov 25 2009, 02:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1619285
Wrong... RL projector are single low beam.. not bi-xenon
and yes they fit just fine with less modification than TSX or RDX...
and if you ask me... i have them all... TSX- RL and currently running with RDX ,the first and not the only one...[/b]
sorry, got mixed up on my Acura acronyms. TL are bi xenons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (Scarface @ Nov 27 2009, 02:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1619621
i just recently did my TSX retro and it looks terrible

the aiming is wayyy off, not to mention the passenger side projector is sitting a little behind the bezel like it's supposed to. while the driver side is sitting way too close. i want to say it has something to do with aiming, but it looks very bad and im not satisfied at all with it

havent had time to take pics but will do soon since it's annoying me[/b]
Mind posting up a picture of what exactly is wrong? I finished my retrofit today, it looks pretty good in my opinion, the output/cutoff is definitely MUCH better than the H1 HID conversion kit, altho i did break a bracket so had to glue that...hopefully it'll hold for years to come and i think one of the d2s bulbs is bad...so have to get that changed out soon...

·
Registered
693 Posts
QUOTE (Supersprynt @ Feb 17 2010, 10:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1637593
Has anybody had a problem with the in-cabin leveler after doing the mod?[/b]

Mine was fine with fx35's when I did s2k's which are sorta similiar to tsx the lense of the projector would touch the bezel at the highest setting. but the leveler itself worked fine. just install the projector set your leveler 2 settings lower, aim your projectors, and then put them on the lowest and highest setting and see if theres any issues.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts