Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of some good tests for the AWD system? I'll have access to a front wheel dyno within the next few months... I see now way to force the car into 100% RWD... so no way to put the vehicle on the dyno backwards... I know that having the ebreak clicked on... will disable the rear diff. Letting you drive around and play in FWD only...

Anyway, back to topic.... Are there any ways to safely test the AWD system to see how it functions... if it is functioning.. .and such?

Basically, If anyone knows of a way to test / feel the difference between driving a FWD and an AWD car.. that doesn't risk damage ... rock chips. or whatever.... Please respond... I've been driving a FWD honda civic around for years now.... And to be honest... the only difference I notice is the turbo.... My civic had about as much HP as this engine puts out non-turbo...

I'm wondering if the Speed3 is going to be a better car ... all around.. just because its FWD with a lot less Bullshit to go wrong... and a lot less weight to hold it back...

·
Registered
108 Posts
take it to the mountains...plain and simple. i drove around a Ford ZX2 for 8 years and I thought it handles like a dream (tokico hp shocks, progress springs, thicker sway bar, front sway bar), then I got a hold of the mazdaspeed and it stuck like nothing I had done before. If you dont have mountains near you take it anyplace that has some nice s curves...some highway on ramps have these. if all else fails...wait for the snow to come.. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Try turning AND accelerating at the same time. The difference should be pretty black and white...

If that doesn't do it... Wait until it rains, turn off the DSC and try again... (remember to countersteer when your sideways)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Dude just do one launch at about 4500 rpms. And push your head into the headrest BEFORE you do it.
[/b]
I second that, launching at 4500rpm you won't even get a chrip of the tires. But you're gonna be going forward like a bat of out of hell. If you get wheelspin something ain't working right.

In the winter it's dead easy. Turn DSC off. Floor it and turn the wheel. You'll see snow flying out of the rear tires. Ah.... I miss winter.

·
Registered
489 Posts
In the winter it's dead easy. Turn DSC off. Floor it and turn the wheel. [/b]
Heck, it doesn't even need to be winter. If you DSC-off launch with the wheels turned, you can kick out the rear end quite nicely. That, plus the fact that with the e-brake on, you can roast the front tires, even through 3rd gear. That's pretty good evidence that the rear wheels are doing something.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
we need the snow driving video in here as well...link anyone?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Gravel roads. I took a 3.5 mile 2000' gain road last weekend. I've driven the same road countless times in my last 3 FWD cars and the MS6 took it like a champ. I need to do the same road this winter after it's all mudded out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
On a rainy day, turn DSC off, go in a parking lot or industrial area somewhere (wide roads). Turn and floor it. Oversteer is a symptom of the rear wheels engaging (can't oversteer in a FWD)

I was surprised I could heavily power oversteer in that car even though theoritically the awd is off in tight turns. It turns out I can still heavily oversteer if I wish. Don't turn the steering wheel to max, just half way or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try turning AND accelerating at the same time. The difference should be pretty black and white...

If that doesn't do it... Wait until it rains, turn off the DSC and try again... (remember to countersteer when your sideways)
[/b]
I recently discovered the effects of AWD when turning sharp corners at speed. When doing so, I hear this mechanism engaging type sound and the car suddenly feels like something is pushing it from the back. In less then a second the car is screaming out of the turn and barreling down the road. AWESOME! I have done this purposely a few times with the same effect/rush of acceleration. I have also taken this car on mountain/windy roads and it sticks like glue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts