1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I started this last night and it works well, just waiting for the 2007 HVAC controls to arrive and I'm done.

For anyone trying this - to save yourself buying 5 OEM harnesses and 3 harness connecters and removing the wires, just buy 1 "FORD/MAZDA PARROT CONVERTOR LEADS" off ebay which contains all the necessary wires in 1 and makes this job way easier.

Also if your 2007 head unit doesn't come with the HVAC controls, your old 2004 ones are not compatible.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started this last night and it works well, just waiting for the 2007 HVAC controls to arrive and I'm done.

For anyone trying this - to save yourself buying 5 OEM harnesses and 3 harness connecters and removing the wires, just buy 1 "FORD/MAZDA PARROT CONVERTOR LEADS" off ebay which contains all the necessary wires in 1 and makes this job way easier.

Also if your 2007 head unit doesn't come with the HVAC controls, your old 2004 ones are not compatible.
Thanks for the tip on the wiring harness.

Are your HVAC controls manual or auto ? I ran my 2007 auto HVAC controls with no head unit for a while and worked fine. Can't see the LCD readout, but it controls the HVAC system just fine. Might want to try it with the 2004 if you haven't already. Don't connect it to the head unit, just the 2 wire connectors on the back in case you need the heater while you're waiting for parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Swap

I am not sure that I understood your post correctly(may be for my bad English)

I have pre-facelifted model, non bose, no navigation.
Next month I will get new radio unit from the facelifted M6 GG1 with whole black panel with cables but without A/C control unit. Also I will get new display.

Do I need to do any additional wiring? The A/C control unit should by the same(I hope it will fit to that panel well).

Here is my updated status :-( need to do wiring
http://forum.mazda6club.com/car-electronics/255512-swap-06-08-radio-into-03-05-mazda-6-a-4.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have found that som parts are from radio CQ-MM4571AK and the module is CQ-MM4570AK. I think that nobody had to go through it...

·
Registered
20 Posts
What about to use radio(changer, mp3) from Mazda 3?

The swap in the topic works great

·
Registered
2 Posts
i want to connect 2004 16 pins display in a 2007 radio. it is possible? Have somebody the coonections to be made or the wiring diagram for the 2004 (dm4291k) display to attach at 2007 bose cd changer? thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many Thanks to this post! The Instruction is awesome!!!
Just tried it with my '04 Model with automatic climate control and no bose. Built my own harness with the parrot connector from ebay. Works fine!

Best wishes from Germany

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know, I know this is an old thread. I can't figure something out and I've been reading and re-reading Nik's blog post, this thread, other threads, and more.

So like Nik/icecreme98, I am installing a 2006 stereo and 10 pin lcd display into a 2005 mazda6. It's non-bose, no navigation, and manual climate control. Ok so according to the diagrams, some of the wires from the radio connector (the white one) connect with the display wires (the 10 pin). What happens to the corresponding wires from the car connector (the red one)? For example, wires 1 & 2 from the display connect to wire 2 from the radio. What do I do with wire 2 from the car connector?

This seems like a dumb question, but I am completely new to installing anything electrical and messing with wires. I had to google what splice means. :|

There are so many helpful and knowledgable people here. I appreciate y'all who respond despite how old this thread is.

·
Registered
513 Posts
There are so many helpful and knowledgable people here. I appreciate y'all who respond despite how old this thread is.
I really wish I had paid more attention and taken pictures when I did mine 1.5 years ago. I couldn't get my display to work at all when I first installed it, but then figured it out and thought "I really should have taken pictures and documented that."

Let me peek through some of the diagrams I saved when I did mine and get back to you. With yours being manual hvac, it should be the simplest install to do.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I had to google what splice means. :|
Also, props to you for diving into this. I love it when people with zero experience decide to figure things out for themselves. This is how you learn and eventually become an expert ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, thank you so much! I really appreciate it. When I first started this project, I was really gung ho about it. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I was confident I could figure it out. Turns out I overestimated my skills and underestimated how confusing wiring is.

Lmk if I can give more info to help you help me. I'll remember to take pictures and upload it so I can hopefully help someone else too.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Alright, here's the diagrams I went off, including the one I marked up while I was confused. Before I could get an answer about my confusion, I figured out the problem.

I believe it was this chart that threw me off, I thought it was unclear as to where I was getting wires from and where they needed to go.

·
Registered
513 Posts
OK, now that I've looked at them, I remember my issue. I was confused as to which WIRE I needed to connect to for display leads 7, 8 & 9, but I didn't need to connect those to a wire coming from the car, I needed to connect those to the pins on the radio (which are empty pins in the pre-2006 harness in your car).

As for your question:
"What happens to the corresponding wires from the car connector (the red one)? For example, wires 1 & 2 from the display connect to wire 2 from the radio. What do I do with wire 2 from the car connector?"
You leave the wire intact and just peel pack some of the outer cover (shown yellow in my previous post), connect wires 1&2 from the display to the bare wire inside the outer cover, then seal it back up. Pros will tell you to solder everything together, but that's likely beyond your skill level. I would split the wire strands inside the car wire, insert your display wires, then wrap around tightly. After that, wrap it tightly with electrical tape and use a couple small zip ties to make sure it stays wrapped. Electrical tape alone can turn to shit after some time in the heat.

Hopefully my tips give you some clarity. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You leave the wire intact and just peel pack some of the outer cover (shown yellow in my previous post), connect wires 1&2 from the display to the bare wire inside the outer cover, then seal it back up. Pros will tell you to solder everything together, but that's likely beyond your skill level. I would split the wire strands inside the car wire, insert your display wires, then wrap around tightly. After that, wrap it tightly with electrical tape and use a couple small zip ties to make sure it stays wrapped. Electrical tape alone can turn to shit after some time in the heat.

Hopefully my tips give you some clarity. Good luck.

So you're saying wires 1 & 2 from the display connect to the red harness (the one that connects to the car), not the white (connects to radio)? Or are they all connected together? In this example, four wires total: 2 from the display, 1 from white connector, and 1 from the red.

Thanks for the quick response. I started working on this as soon as I got home from work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts