Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a CAI when I found this:AEM air by-pass valve

F.A.Q from AEM

Q: Can I use an AEM Bypass Valve with the V2?
A: NO. AEM V2 Induction Systems utilize a dual chamber to create multiple frequency sound waves. The installation of the AEM Bypass Valve would disrupt the tuning of these systems, and in many cases the tube diameter of V2 systems exceeds the maximum size of the AEM BPV making it impossible to install.

Q: Can I use an Air Bypass Valve on a forced induction engine?
A: Do NOT use an Air Bypass Valve on engines equipped with forced induction (turbo or superchargers). The increased flow demands created by the forced induction could damage the valve and lead to engine damage.

Q: Can I plumb a nitrous nozzle into the inlet pipe before the Air Bypass Valve?
A: Placing a nitrous oxide nozzle before the bypass valve will lead to fuel contamination of the foam spring and filter, and degrade the integrity of the plastic valve housing due to the extremely cold temperature of the nitrous oxide. Nitrous CAN be used downstream of the bypass valve, either along the inlet pipe (room permitting) or plumbed into the intake manifold or throttle body.

Q: When should I use an Air Bypass Valve?
A: The AEM Bypass Valve protects the engine from ingesting water and hydro-locking if the filter becomes submerged in water. Hydro locking occurs when the end of the inlet pipe is submerged in water and the water is sucked into the engine. Driving the vehicle in rainy conditions is not enough to cause a problem unless the vehicle submerges enough that the inlet end of the pipe is immersed in water. Rain impingement on the filter will not cause a hydro lock condition.

The distance of the filter from the road dictates the level of water that can cause damage. This distance varies with the vehicle ride height, which is why there are no published numbers for this measurement. We suggest taking this measurement and keeping it in a log book, so that in the event you encounter deep water you will know what your maximum allowable depth is before potential submersion of the inlet pipe.

All AEM Cold Air Intake installations retain the factory splash shield (fender liner) for filter protection and performance. Removal of splash shield actually deteriorates performance by allowing air heated by the pavement to enter the filter and negates any positive pressure created in the air filter area when the vehicle is in motion.

There are some instances where there is not enough room around the inlet pipe for adequate clearance of an Air Bypass Valve. In these instances, we recommend installing a Short Ram system if water ingestion is a concern.

Q: What is the warranty on my Air Bypass Valve?
A: Advanced Engine Management Inc. warrants to the consumer that all AEM High Performance products will be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of twelve (12) months from date of the original purchase. Products that fail within this 12 month warranty period will be repaired or replaced at AEM’s option, when determined by AEM that the product failed due to defects in material or workmanship. This warranty is limited to the repair or replacement of the AEM part. In no event shall this warranty exceed the original purchase price of the AEM part nor shall AEM be responsible for special, incidental or consequential damages or cost incurred due to the failure of this product. Warranty claims to AEM must be transportation prepaid and accompanied with dated proof of purchase. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser of product and is non-transferable. All implied warranties shall be limited in duration to the said 12 month warranty period. Improper use or installation, use for racing, accident, abuse, unauthorized repairs or alterations voids this warranty. AEM disclaims any liability for consequential damages due to breach of any written or implied warranty on all products manufactured by AEM. Warranty returns will only be accepted by AEM when accompanied by a valid Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number. Credit for defective products will be issued pending inspection. Product must be received by AEM within 30 days of the date RMA is issued.

If you have a warranty issue, please call (310) 484-2322, extension 203 and our customer service department will assist you. A proof of purchase is required for all AEM warranty claims.

Q: Quick Tips for Air Bypass Valve installation:
A: AEM is in the process of including diagrams in its Cold Air Induction System (CAS) instructions for Air Bypass Valve placement. In the mean time, if you receive a system without this information and are unsure as to where the Air Bypass Valve installs on your CAS, please contact AEM customer service at (310) 484-2322, extension 300 and we will provide information on proper placement of the valve.

Generally, the Air Bypass Valve installs along the upper section of the induction pipe, close to the throttle body. Do NOT install it too close to the Inlet Air Temp sensor, and NEVER install an air bypass valve in between a throttle body and Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF). Be sure to check for clearance for the width of the Air Bypass Valve during installation, and to use the provided template that comes with your Air Bypass Valve to remove the proper amount of material from the induction pipe.

NEVER use an Air Bypass Valve on a forced induction vehicle as it will damage the valve and could lead to engine damage.

Q: Can I use an AEM Bypass Valve with the V2?
A: NO. AEM V2 Induction Systems utilize a dual chamber to create multiple frequency sound waves. The installation of the AEM Bypass Valve would disrupt the tuning of these systems, and in many cases the tube diameter of the V-2 systems exceeds the maximum size of the AEM BPV making it impossible to install.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Looks good for ones peace of mind eh? Like the site says, hydrolocking doesnt normally occur unless the filter is totally submerged in water. I have only personally know of two souls that have experienced hydrolocking and that happened when they were literally submerged in water with the water level reaching the interior of the vehicle.

Good find and let us know how the the install works and if it impedes the performance (I wouldnt think it would anyways). :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if this exact AEM B-PV would work for our cars( I just wanted to get the word out that there was a solution to the hydra lock problem that I have read about on the forums). Maybe one of the site sponsors could make a intake with the by-pass valve integrated into it? I'll post more information when I find it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have the MazdaSpeed CAI. Thinking about it, it's one solid tube up until the bend towards the upper intake piping...meaning this would have to be mounted there....AFTER the MAF. Wouldn't this suck additional air (or de-pressurize)....acting something like a full-time BOV?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I heard that is poop. AEM does a good job of scaring people into buying useless stuff for the CAI. Want to prevent hydrolock....stay out of filter deep water. Done.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
We've covered this plenty of times before. In a nutshell:

1. The bypass valve disrupts air flow and thus has shown to negate any gains from having a CAI.

2. Not for use for turbocharged applications.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Complete waste of money.

To hydrolock your engine you would need to drive through about a foot of standing water.

Want to stop water from entering your CAI and destroying your engine? Dont drive your car through a river.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, the only reason I posted this is there have been a lot of people who have been hydro-locked or were worried that their lowered car with a CAI could get hydro-locked (in which case the CAI is only inches from the ground) Some times you might be forced to drive through a deep puddle (maybe to avoid an accident?)
My area is notorious for flooding on the side of the street, the puddles get very deep and it is hard to see them at night so I would have to get this if I wanted to install a CAI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts