Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes infotainment screen is black after car is turned on.
is there a way to reset the system on 2018 mazda 6?
i tried holding back, home, mute buttons but it did not work

·
Registered
89 Posts
sometimes infotainment screen is black after car is turned on.
is there a way to reset the system on 2018 mazda 6?
i tried holding back, home, mute buttons but it did not work
This is a common problem which most owners have experienced and is either corrected by shutting off and restarting the engine or by this simple procedure:

Hold these 3 buttons for 10 seconds
back + nav + mute
Forces the system to restart and should get your screen up and running again.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
314 Posts
back + nav + mute
Thanks for this.

This morning, the Mazda startup screen took its sweet time to disappear when I started the car. Then, my backup camera was displaying a black screen and Apple CarPlay wasn't displaying anything. Audio was working from Spotify, but the Mazda Connect menus was all that was working.

I tried to turn off and then on the car, it did nothing to solve the problem. I rebooted the phone, still nothing. The "3 finger salute" you mentioned worked perfectly. Easier to do than disconnecting the battery when you're in a hurry !

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for this.

This morning, the Mazda startup screen took its sweet time to disappear when I started the car. Then, my backup camera was displaying a black screen and Apple CarPlay wasn't displaying anything. Audio was working from Spotify, but the Mazda Connect menus was all that was working.

I tried to turn off and then on the car, it did nothing to solve the problem. I rebooted the phone, still nothing. The "3 finger salute" you mentioned worked perfectly. Easier to do than disconnecting the battery when you're in a hurry !
Glad it worked for you, but I can't really take credit for the procedure. It was shared by another helpful forum member on a previous thread. I'm scheduled to have the Apple/Android support upgrade at my dealer next week, and am hopeful that the latest firmware will resolve the inconsistent display boot process.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wanted to make a new topic for this but I can't start a topic since I'm such a newbie.

When I have the radio on and let's say I am on a different screen such as Nav, Carplay or whatever, if I want to change the station there is no indicator to show what station I am tuning to. I find this odd because my 2015 Touring could do that, and even my Sonata can do it as well; they just flash the station information on the top of the screen so I can tell which station it is. Instead, with the 2018 infotainment, I have to bring the radio screen back up (and it's quite a few button presses to bring that am/fm radio screen back up) in order to view the station information. That is such a big oversight by Mazda in my opinion. As an old school radio listener, this is one of my worst gripes about the car.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Wanted to make a new topic for this but I can't start a topic since I'm such a newbie.

When I have the radio on and let's say I am on a different screen such as Nav, Carplay or whatever, if I want to change the station there is no indicator to show what station I am tuning to. I find this odd because my 2015 Touring could do that, and even my Sonata can do it as well; they just flash the station information on the top of the screen so I can tell which station it is. Instead, with the 2018 infotainment, I have to bring the radio screen back up (and it's quite a few button presses to bring that am/fm radio screen back up) in order to view the station information. That is such a big oversight by Mazda in my opinion. As an old school radio listener, this is one of my worst gripes about the car.
IMO doubt it was an oversite. It's apparent to me that Mazda architected the UX pretty thoroughly.

More likely, given the availability of internet radio apps via Carplay and Android Auto, Mazda made a choice to keep the legacy MZ connect experience relatively isolated from the Carplay and Android Auto experiences. So while they made it easy to shorcut between MZ connect and CP or AA, they figured the majority who use CP or AA would choose to listen to radio via the CP or AA apps.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
IMO doubt it was an oversite. It's apparent to me that Mazda architected the UX pretty thoroughly.

More likely, given the availability of internet radio apps via Carplay and Android Auto, Mazda made a choice to keep the legacy MZ connect experience relatively isolated from the Carplay and Android Auto experiences. So while they made it easy to shorcut between MZ connect and CP or AA, they figured the majority who use CP or AA would choose to listen to radio via the CP or AA apps.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
a
But even if I was listening to internet radio via CP I don't think I would have the station info pop up while I am using Waze or Google maps for example. I will double check, but I am pretty sure that it can't do it. The old infotainment could do it, it's a shame that the new ones can't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a common problem which most owners have experienced and is either corrected by shutting off and restarting the engine or by this simple procedure:

back + nav + mute

Hope this helps!
This did not help me! I have a 2014 Mazda 6 and ever since I had to replace the battery my screen has been completely black. I’ve tried all the button combinations suggested and nothing works. Please someone help! I literally have no music or navy for over a month. I lost my job because of stupid COVID and can not afford a mechanic. Someone please tell me there is another suggestion that’ll work beside holding the back + nav + mute for 10-20 seconds????

Asking for a friend!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys as you see my issue is posted above and below:

back + nav + mute

Hope this helps!
I have a 2014 Mazda 6 and ever since I had to replace the battery my screen has been completely black. I’ve tried all the button combinations suggested and nothing works. Please someone help! I literally have no music or navy for over a month. I lost my job because of stupid COVID and can not afford a mechanic. Someone please tell me there is another suggestion that’ll work beside holding the back + nav + mute for 10-20 seconds????

Asking for a friend!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hi guys as you see my issue is posted above and below:

I have a 2014 Mazda 6 and ever since I had to replace the battery my screen has been completely black. I’ve tried all the button combinations suggested and nothing works. Please someone help! I literally have no music or navy for over a month. I lost my job because of stupid COVID and can not afford a mechanic. Someone please tell me there is another suggestion that’ll work beside holding the back + nav + mute for 10-20 seconds????

Asking for a friend!
I've read that upgrading the infotainment will solve the issue of black screen. I'll try to look for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts