Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow I took mine out this weekend to check it out and it was full of leaves and bugs and crap after 10,000 miles. You would think there would be an earlier line of defense to keep out the big leaves and stuff like a screen or something?? I just tapped it out and vaccummed it a little for now.
Well I'll pick up a new one from the dealer soon...

·
Registered
456 Posts
i dont know what causes this, but i replaced my cabin filter a few weeks ago, cause the ac was warm and there was a bad smell comming from the vents, i replaced the filter and sure enough, leaves bugs some weird alge lol and the filter was black, i cleaned the compartment out and put the new one in, and for a day there was no smell comming from the vents, all of a sudden it started again when i first start up and turn the air or a/c on. i checked it today since i finally had time and the filter was a little dirty but really not bad at all, i took this little block air freshner that i have in the car that doenst really work since the vent smell was over powering everything, and shaved some of it off into the filter, now it smells like the air freshner that i ahve in the car comming out of the vents, but i dont know how long it will last, anyone know why this happens? is it the filter even though its brand new?

·
Administrator
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by TheMaz39@Aug 14 2005, 04:01 PM
...anyone know why this happens? is it the filter even though its brand new?
[snapback]484325[/snapback]​
It's not the filter. Chances are there's a little excess condensation left in the HVAC, due to the humidity from summertime, and it's causing a mold/mildew smell. I suggest keeping the car on the "outside air" setting, as compared to the "recirc", both when driving and leaving it parked, and it should help to dry it up a little.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've recently started having this "odour coming from vents" problem too. I did some research online and sure enough many people say to "dry" out the condenser by putting the heating on and driving around like that. Well, it's been at least four days of doing this with no improvement whatsoever. Apparently on the BMW forums a trick they use is to spray Lysol (the one that kills 99.9% of bacteria) into the intake of the HVAC system and run the heating. Gonna give that a try today, and if it works I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Originally posted by PSIVIC@Aug 24 2005, 03:39 PM
I've recently started having this "odour coming from vents" problem too.  I did some research online and sure enough many people say to "dry" out the condenser by putting the heating on and driving around like that.  Well, it's been at least four days of doing this with no improvement whatsoever.  Apparently on the BMW forums a trick they use is to spray Lysol (the one that kills 99.9% of bacteria) into the intake of the HVAC system and run the heating.  Gonna give that a try today, and if it works I'll let you know.
[snapback]491828[/snapback]​
Did it work?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wicked walkthrough. Just bought one today, gonna see to replace it tomorrow. I've had a bad smell comming on and off since I got the car. I hope this will help a bit. I always run the air from outside, but that's never helped with the smell.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok I learned today why we should ALL take notice of our in-cabin air filter. Having suffered for a month with my new (secondhand) 6 smelling odd inside I finally decided to replace the air filter. Amongst all the leaves and debris I was astonished to find a nest of mice*, yes that’s MICE*, in the filter!

[attachment=19258:Mice_.jpg]

Sorry if you cant make much out of the picture but I didn’t want to gross anyone out!

Unfortunately the poor blighters had passed on (my reckless driving is innocent here!) but just goes to show what can happen if you never look at the filter. My 6 is 3 years old and from looking at all the crap in the system I doubt the previous owner ever replaced the air filter! If my experiences are anything to go by Mazda should definitely look at putting some sort of pre-screening in place.

Incidentally as people have already indicated, replacing the filter is stupidly easy...those cunning Japanese engineers!

*I’m no animal expert, may not be mice but certainly a nest of small rodent creatures (counted 5 of them).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Check our sponsors...I got mine through Revenant (Sabrina at Jim Click) for, iirc about $25.00 (give or take a few bucks).

·
Registered
949 Posts
easiest thing to do, litterally took less than 5 minutes... remove glove box, remove cabin filter cover, remove filter, replace filter with new one, put back cabin air filter cover, put back glove box.

went to my local mazda dealership and grabbed one for 20 bucks

i have less than 26k on my 6 so it wasnt that dirty, probably could have just vacuumed and reuse the cabin filter hahah

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
easiest thing to do, litterally took less than 5 minutes... remove glove box, remove cabin filter cover, remove filter, replace filter with new one, put back cabin air filter cover, put back glove box.

went to my local mazda dealership and grabbed one for 20 bucks

i have less than 26k on my 6 so it wasnt that dirty, probably could have just vacuumed and reuse the cabin filter hahah[/b]
I agree, very easy to do and after 54k miles and not changing it it was dirty! Try Tiffany at Showcase her link is in my signature.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
So I too got motivated to change out the filter after the wife asked me why my car smelled musty, etc.

I didn't use one of our sponsors...thinking that with shipping, it would end up a wash when compared to the local dealerprice ($35.99).

So here it is...4 years and 2 months later:

[attachment=21784:Filter_004.jpg]

And yes...those are Douglas Fir (to be exact) needles. I'm a bad 6-er!

It took me about 45 seconds to remove the glove box and filter, and about 30 seconds to install the new one and reinstall the glove box. It is 2 minutes well spent.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Wow! Your dealer charges that much for the filter? My dealer charged me $20CDN for mine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
With how much driving I do I have to replace mine every year and clean it off every few months!! The dealers around me charge $22 for the filter and $50 for them to install it including the cost of the filter! Tell your dealer to lower the price!!!

1 - 20 of 142 Posts