Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many members here including myself have had this problem where the lights in the HVAC controls go out. Here is a step by step on how to replace them

Tools needed:
- Phillips Screw Driver
- 10mm Socket
- socket wrench extension
- Socket wrench
- Pliers
- Light bulb replacement

Ok So first remove the trim starting from the cupholders. Pull up on one corner and work your way around. When you get to the part where it splits right behind the shifter just pull it up.

Then unscrew the shift knob and remove it. Then pull the trim starting from the side that is now open. the part that mates with the radio/hvac control is not clipped, you just move the trim towars the back of the car and it comes off, you'll see it.

Now, remove the 2 Phillips head screws at the bottom of the HVAC control. One on each side.

Now remove the glove box

Open it and undo the string that is attached on the right side of it and then push on the top sides of the glove box to remove it. It comes down and slides out. It's ok the let the string go, it rolls back in but you can still get it back later with no problems

Now get the 10mm socket with the extension and hook it to here:

Be careful not to drop it!

Here is a wider angle shoot so you can see whereabouts it is. It's attached to the stereo so you have an idea. (unfortunately in this pic the bolt is hidden behind that plastic piece, you can kinda see a little bit of it)

Now, Once that is removed pull on the stereo from the bottom of the HVAC control and from one of the vents, jiggle it and pull it towards you, It unclips and comes out.
***NOTE*** PUT THE SHIFT KNOB BACK ON SO YOU DON'T SCRATCH THE PLASTIC FROM THE STEREO (Don't ask me how I know this... :slap: )

Now that the radio is off proceed to disconnect the wires behind the stereo, also unplug that clip that is holding a big bundle of wires and is attached to the stereo. Just push it in on one of the sides and jiggle it out.

The harness attached to the stereo has a clip, feel it and push it in and pull the harness out. It's a PITA but that's how it is. Also unplug the antenna (thick black cable on the left when you look at it from the top of the stereo) Just pull it out, there is no clip. WATCH THE KNUCKLES! lol

Once the harness is off unplug the harness on the HVAC controls, also have clips, feel them and push them in and jiggle them out. There are 2, one on each side.

Now that that is removed and you are less frustrated turn it around and look at the HVAC controls. There are 6 screws holding the module. 2 attached to the module itself on the sides and 4 attached to that metal clip. Remove them all and take the module out.
** At this point you may be able to get those really thin needle nose pliers and unscrew the bulbs out and not do the next steps, I haven't tried it so I am not sure, if not the next steps are not bad anyway**

Now look at the module, there are 4 screws, take them out and then unclip the back starting from the side that has 2 clips, it's easier but BE CAREFUL NOT TO BREAK THEM. I used my nails to lift them, they are not that hard so be careful.

Now that it's removed you can see where the bulbs are, Mine has that hole because I had removed it to get the light bulb. it' clips/unclips by twisting it to the left or right.

If it's hard you need to use pliers, make sure it's clipped all the way, you can see all of them are facing the same way, so keep it that way. The little holes in the bulbs are up and down.

Once it's in, reverse the steps on putting everything back together and you are all set!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Nice write up! Just when I thought I was the only one with a light out.

·
Registered
483 Posts
WTF! That write up sucks. You didnt tell me how to unlock and get into my car! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
QUOTE (chisss @ Apr 2 2009, 10:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1542090
hahahaha ok, carefully take your key out and push on the... ah screw it... Take a brick and .... lol[/b]
:laugh: Agreed!! lol Nice write up!! Im sure this will be used by several members here!! i just sent to aviator79 to add to index of links and faq

·
Registered
483 Posts
QUOTE (joespeed6 @ Apr 2 2009, 06:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1542100
:laugh: Agreed!! lol Nice write up!! Im sure this will be used by several members here!! i just sent to aviator79 to add to index of links and faq[/b]
Wow you guys are retards if you didnt see the sarcasm in my post. Drrr :sarc: I was the op of the thread that inturn turned into this thread so... :p

·
Registered
483 Posts
QUOTE (chisss @ Apr 2 2009, 07:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1542112
hehe thanks

We are kidding, :nana: :nana:[/b]

To late...my feelings are hurt! :laugh: :laugh:
No really, this is a great walk through. I was thinking about doing the same thing but a video for all my mods I install. Slap it on youtube, easy step by step for members.

Btw I will be doing mine this weekend hopefully. Im excited to be fully lit again. Sticky this shit.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (cincySVT @ Apr 2 2009, 11:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1542116
To late...my feelings are hurt! :laugh: :laugh:
No really, this is a great walk through. I was thinking about doing the same thing but a video for all my mods I install. Slap it on youtube, easy step by step for members.

Btw I will be doing mine this weekend hopefully. Im excited to be fully lit again. Sticky this shit.[/b]
I'm sorry, really, but the brick part was true tho, that's how I open my car anyway... why? is it wrong? :laugh:

I was thinking on making a video too but I was like...eehh... I think I'll make a video for when I do the 3.5mm plug for the stereo to make it work with any MP3/Ipod player, it's $8 total and works just like the $140 audiolink... lol

·
Registered
483 Posts
QUOTE (chisss @ Apr 2 2009, 07:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1542119
I'm sorry, really, but the brick part was true tho, that's how I open my car anyway... why? is it wrong? :laugh:

I was thinking on making a video too but I was like...eehh... I think I'll make a video for when I do the 3.5mm plug for the stereo to make it work with any MP3/Ipod player, it's $8 total and works just like the $140 audiolink... lol[/b]
]

Umm yeah, please do! :yesnod:

·
Registered
344 Posts
So are these little buggers incandescent or what? If they're dead, I highly doubt they're LEDs (though they SHOULD be :D), but being incandescent, the orientation shouldn't matter in the least. Mine just randomly happened to die, but maybe all the moving and jostling around while doing this AUX input mod just finished them off. :) Ohhh well, how much did these stupid little bulbs run you? I'm gonna need all 3 orange ones...

·
Registered
344 Posts
The parts counter quoted me about $16 PER EFFING BULB!! Where did you get replacements and PLEASE tell me they weren't that stupidly expensive???

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
U,, you dont have to open the HVAC console (the gray part) to get to the LED..
In this pic, it shows the Lock/unlock switch to replace the bulbs, saving time:

I am in the process of building my custom double din out of Metra dash kit parts and OEM parts from my existing console.

The circuit board for the HVAC buttons is still too large to fit a double DIN, so I am extending a few wires, soldering new buttons, desolder this/that.

I would change the LEDs for the whole console that are soldered on, but I like the red.. My HVAC console is all ripped apart right now, and am making a new smaller board to mount the HVAC/defrost buttons, LEDs. Lots of work, hope it actually works LOL

·
Registered
344 Posts
QUOTE (PerformanceRacing @ Jun 9 2009, 03:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1570826
I would change the LEDs for the whole console that are soldered on, but I like the red.. My HVAC console is all ripped apart right now, and am making a new smaller board to mount the HVAC/defrost buttons, LEDs. Lots of work, hope it actually works LOL[/b]
I agree. The only way I would change it from red is if I changed EVERYTHING, including the information display. (Which is never gonna happen!) :p

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you are right, you don't have to take it apart UNLESS you have some really thin long pliers, otherwise there is no way to get to them unless you open it up.
I got the bulbs from the dealer at $12/piece. They are not LED and they have an orange rubber jacket so technically you could change the colors.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts