Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WILL BE ADDING THE DOOR PANEL REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS AS WELL AS GRAPHICS/IMAGES IN THE NEAR FUTURE

Tools Needed for Interior Removal:
Ratchet
12mm Socket
14mm Socket
Ratchet Extension and/or Deep Sockets
Flat-Head Screwdriver
Second Person (not necessary but helps on a couple steps)

Time to Complete:
Approximately 45 minutes for Novice

Interior Removal How-To:

1.) As always, begin by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery. Those without heated seats and side airbags could get by without doing this step, but if in doubt, do it anyways.

2.) We will begin with the front seats, and I suggest the Passenger Seat first because it’s the easiest. Begin by removing the plastic guards that cover each of the 4 corners where the seat bolts to the floor. The flat-head screwdriver might come in handy here to pry them loose though they should come off rather easily. You will uncover 4 14mm bolts that hold the seats to the floor. Remove these 4 bolts.

3.) If you have heated seats and/or side airbags you will need to unplug them at this point. MAKE SURE THE BATTERY HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FOR AT LEAST ONE FULL MINUTE. Do this by tipping the entire seat backward. You will expose 1 or 2 plugs (depending on your optional equipment) that need to be unplugged.

4.) Tilt the seatback as far forward as it can to make removing it from the car easier. One person should be able to easily remove it from the car. Be sure to watch the bottom of the seat to ensure you do not scratch the interior of the car or the outside paint surface of your car when removing it.

5.) Repeat the same steps for the Driver Seat. If you’re going to also be removing the Rear Seat I suggest you do at least the bottom of the Rear Seat before removing the Driver Seat (Step 6). It’s so easy to remove and replace you might consider removing it even if you don’t plan on removing the rear seat for your particular project just to prevent damage to it while removing the Driver Seat. The power seat easily weighs 3 times as much as the passenger seat and it can be a bear to remove by oneself without damaging any interior components, particularly the door panels. I removed the seat by taking it out the rear driver side door but did so with the assistance of another person. Remove it however you see fit, but be wary of both the interior and exterior of your car while doing so.

6.) Removing the Rear Seat is extremely simple. Particularly the bottom, which we’ll start with. Begin by sliding your hand along the bottom edge of the seat, where the leather/cloth meets the carpet. You should feel 2 sharp pieces of plastic on each end of the seat right about where a person’s inside leg would be if they were sitting in the chair. These pieces of plastic are actually latches. All you need to do is push the latch towards the driver side of the car while simultaneously lifting on the seat (you can do them one at a time). The seat bottom should easily lift free. Push the seatbelts through (you’ll have to push a small pin on the center seatbelt latch to free the shoulder-belt) the seat and you can easily remove it from the car.

7.) The back of the Rear Seat is actually 4 separate components: 2 Side Bolsters, a 40% segment, and a 60% segment. Begin by unbolting the 6 14mm bolts you see along the bottom of the pieces. If you have no need to remove the Side Bolsters you can simply leave the 2 outside bolts in place.

8.) There are 4 additional bolts that are accessible from the trunk. Get inside the trunk and lift the edge of the carpet from around the back of the Rear Seat and you will find the additional 14mm bolts. Remove these and the only thing holding in the seatbacks are the latches. Pulling the fold-down latch will actually propel the seatbacks into the interior of the car with a rather remarkable (an unexpected for me) force and could potentially scratch them on a sharp interior object. I suggest you either cover the area with a large towel or have someone inside to prevent them from launching themselves a couple feet. Again, be careful when removing the seats from the car, as they do have bare metal brackets on the bottom that can scratch the interior or exterior of your car.

9.) The Side Bolsters are held in place at the top by 2 more of those latches you saw on the bottom of the rear seat. To get to them simply pull up on the bottom of the bolster until you can get your hand underneath it to push the latch towards the driver side of the car. The bolster will then be free and can be removed from the car.

10.) At this point you should have all the seats removed from your car.

11.) Replacement is a very simple reversal of the steps. The only thing worthy of note is that the Rear Seat backs (both the 40% and 60% segments) have small holes in the brackets that mate with pins on the car body. These pins are on the backside and most visible from within the trunk. An additional person to help place the bracket in its' correct position onto these pins while another person is placing the seats from within the car is a great help, but certainly not necessary.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you help with information on removing the door panels?
Sure.

Don't have any pictures, but I think I can wing it off the top of my head right now:

1> Remove the screw that is behind the inside door handle. It has a small plastic cover that you need to pry off with a small screwdriver.

2> Remove the screw that is directly under the pull-handle (the part you pull to close it) of the door. There is a small piece of sticky rubber that you need to remove. It just peels off. It'll stick right back down again when you're done.

3> Remove the screw that is underneath the door light. You need to pop the cover off to expose the screw.

4> Move the Tweeter. I can't recall how to do this off the top of my head, but it's not hard. I'll update it later when I do my other door.

5> Remove the inside plastic piece behind the door handle. It just slides over the handle.

5> "Pop" the door panel free. There are about 9 clips around the perimeter of the panel that pop free with a moderate amount of force. You also need to push the door light through the hole at the bottom while doing this step.

6> That should be it. The door panel should be free of the car.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Over a year later and still useful!

Great job bro, I will start by removing the rear seats this weekend. Guess I'll be installing the leahter now :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just removed my rear seats and spare tire in my 04 S Hatch, and wow did they weigh a lot! I bet that was 150 lbs.

Dang, I took it for a ride, and it accelerates better and OMG! all I have is Tanabe GF springs, and I induced oversteer today when normally I couldn't do that before no matter how much I tried.

I was just in a steady-state right hand turn pushing it hard like I normally do, and the back just started sliding out and I was like wooo!

I'm happy. Plus it looks sweet now on the inside, like a coupe if you look on the inside and disregard the two back doors.

Oh yeah, and I could barely stick 1 finger in between the rear fender and tire, but now I can stick like 3 fingers in between. It sits so much higher in the back now! I need to get some 235's instead of 225's :/

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just removed my rear seats and spare tire in my 04 S Hatch, and wow did they weigh a lot! I bet that was 150 lbs.

Dang, I took it for a ride, and it accelerates better and OMG! all I have is Tanabe GF springs, and I induced oversteer today when normally I couldn't do that before no matter how much I tried.

I was just in a steady-state right hand turn pushing it hard like I normally do, and the back just started sliding out and I was like wooo!

I'm happy. Plus it looks sweet now on the inside, like a coupe if you look on the inside and disregard the two back doors.

Oh yeah, and I could barely stick 1 finger in between the rear fender and tire, but now I can stick like 3 fingers in between. It sits so much higher in the back now! I need to get some 235's instead of 225's :/
[/b]
Could you take a picture ? I would like to see that coupe look you talk about.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Is the 06 MS6 door panel removal the same? I think the panels are different than the 04 6s. I need to get some dynamat in the doors.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sure.

Don't have any pictures, but I think I can wing it off the top of my head right now:
1> Remove the screw that is behind the inside door handle. It has a small plastic cover that you need to pry off with a small screwdriver.

2> Remove the screw that is directly under the pull-handle (the part you pull to close it) of the door. There is a small piece of sticky rubber that you need to remove. It just peels off. It'll stick right back down again when you're done.

3> Remove the screw that is underneath the door light. You need to pop the cover off to expose the screw.

4> Move the Tweeter. I can't recall how to do this off the top of my head, but it's not hard. I'll update it later when I do my other door.

5> Remove the inside plastic piece behind the door handle. It just slides over the handle.

5> "Pop" the door panel free. There are about 9 clips around the perimeter of the panel that pop free with a moderate amount of force. You also need to push the door light through the hole at the bottom while doing this step.

6> That should be it. The door panel should be free of the car.[/b]
Anyone ever do this? I was wondering if someone could elaborate on the "Move the Tweeter. I can't recall how to do this off the top of my head, but it's not hard. I'll update it later when I do my other door."

Any difficulties putting it back on?

THANKS!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anyone ever do this? I was wondering if someone could elaborate on the "Move the Tweeter. I can't recall how to do this off the top of my head, but it's not hard. I'll update it later when I do my other door."

Any difficulties putting it back on?

THANKS![/b]
The tweeter just pulls out, it's help in with clips. Give it a tug, and it comes right out. Disconnect the wire if you want to completely take it off so it isn't just dangling there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sometimes my door panels would get hung up at the top, super aggravating.

Super helpful writeup, thanks sigma!

·
Registered
332 Posts
anyone know how much weight it would save for the speed6.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Is the 06 MS6 door panel removal the same? I think the panels are different than the 04 6s. I need to get some dynamat in the doors.[/b]
Hope it is...
I'll be sound deadening my entire car starting next week ($600 worth of materials come in Mon., the rest will be after I figure out how much I need :laugh: )

Thanks for the info, I'll be using this. Gonna take out my rear seats this weekend to ready my car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What about the wire in the rear seats......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts