Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I often see threads, where ppl are asking, "how do I remove my front bumper," and I figured I'd do a how-to. This how to is so easy to follow, a caveman could do this.

Required tools:
10MM socket
8MM socket
Socket wrench
Socket extension
Stubby Phillips head screwdriver, or screwdriver bit
Small Phillips head screwdriver
Large Phillips head screwdriver

Time: 10-30min

Difficulty:

Step 1:
Lift up the front of the car, and secure it on jack-stands, or ramps.

Step 2:
While under the car, use a 10MM to remove these 2 bolts, marked in red.

Step 3:
Remove the 8 (4 on each side) 8MM bolts for the fender guards, marked in red.

Step 4:
Remove the 2 fender guard screw/clips, marked in red. I use a driver bit, and gently un-screw the screws out, and pull out the clips.

Step 5:
Using an extension, along with an 8MM socket, remove the bolts holding the sides of the bumper in-place. There's on on each side of the bumper.

Step 6:
Open the hood. There's a lever on the bottom side of the dash that allows the hood to pop up.

Step 7:
Remove the two plastic screw clips, using a small Phillips, marked in red. Just un-screw them till they pop up 1/2" and pull the whole clip/screw assembly out. Un-screw the 2 screw, marked in green, with a large Phillips.

Step 8:
Un-plug the side markers. The side-markers are fairly accessibly from within the wheel-well. Just pull the wheel guard out a bit, and un-plug the connectors.

Step 9:
Un-plug the driver's side fog light connector. It's easy to get at from under the car.

Step 10:
While under the car, un-clip the harness connector on the passenger's side from the bumper. Then un-route the harness from this wire securer.

Step 11:
Pull outward on the sides of the bumper, it's held in by clips, and you're not going to break them.

Step 12:
Pull the bumper off, just enough to un-plug the passenger's side foglight. Start by working off the sides of the bumper and also at the center where the emblem is. Once you've gotten the bumper off slightly, un-plug the foglight.

Step 13:
Remove the bumper. Keep working off the sides first,and pull the whole bumper forward off the car. Here's where I grab the bumper to remove/ carry it.

Done:

Now, install some shit.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Nice write-up & will be much appreciated

Please tho-
the English teacher & mechanic in me is asking-
edit/change the name to "Phillips", it's not a "phelps head" screwdriver...

Reactions: MATT DAMOND

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice write-up & will be much appreciated

Please tho-
the English teacher & mechanic in me is asking-
edit/change the name to "Phillips", it's not a "phelps head" screwdriver...
I'm gonna blame Chicago accents on that. I've heard it pronounced "phelps" all my life.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I was trying to follow this, but I got stuck on step #6 :confused:. Lol, jk. Nice write up Matt, very thorough!

Is yours an 07'? I ask because Step #5 says "Using an extension, along with an 8MM socket, remove the bolts holding the sides of the bumper in-place. There's on on each side of the bumper." I have an 06' and IIRC when I take mine off there is just a Phillips (I call them Phyllis) screw there that goes into a hard white plastic piece that holds that part of the bumper to the front corner panel.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was trying to follow this, but I got stuck on step #6 :confused:. Lol, jk. Nice write up Matt, very thorough!

Is yours an 07'? I ask because Step #5 says "Using an extension, along with an 8MM socket, remove the bolts holding the sides of the bumper in-place. There's on on each side of the bumper." I have an 06' and IIRC when I take mine off there is just a Phillips (I call them Phyllis) screw there that goes into a hard white plastic piece that holds that part of the bumper to the front corner panel.
Mine is an 06, it should be a Phillips head AND 8mm. I use an 8mm, just so I don't strip it and it's easier to get out/in.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Mine is an 06, it should be a Phillips head AND 8mm. I use an 8mm, just so I don't strip it and it's easier to get out/in.
Oh, mine come out easy and quick w/ just a stubby phillips. I never even noticed the 8mm on there, haha. Thanks for clearing that up though! Great right up man!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Nice write up!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Nice write up, doesn't look hard at all.
I'm from Chicago too, did you ever make it to one of our meets?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Oh yeah, Matt was at the last meetwe had at Mark's shop... He installed my occ kit :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
this is a best guide on the topic.

What I want to ask is - there doesnt seem to be any screw below the headlight, however on one side of my car the gap between headlight and bumper is way bigger than on the other. What could be causing this? Sides alight perfectly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts