Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already added the 2nd inline PCV valve recently and just got a replacement OEM PCV valve today. My '04 6s ATX has 37k so I plan to replace it. How the heck do you get the PCV valve out? Do I need to remove the intake manifold entirely?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Just curious, but why are you trying to remove the OEM valve? Has it failed? I left mine in when I added the 2nd valve, but from the looks of it, it appears to screw out. PM 84Fordman. He did the how-to article and did remove the OEM valve, IIRC.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It didn't fail, I just wanted to replace it since my 6s has 37k miles on it. More of a precaution since the quality of the OEM PCV isn't that great. I thought the howto article only covered the 2nd valve, at least the one on 6tech.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
gnahc79, my apologies. You're correct, he didn't say anywhere in the write-up that he removed the OEM valve. But since it is threaded, it stands to reason that it should just screw out. Have you tried it yet? If not, I'll try it when I wake up in the morning/afternoon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I can see from the replacement PCV valve that it should screw out. However, I think it 'snaps' in so it's pretty difficult to reach in there to unscrew it. I need some tiny kids pliers or something.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I agree, it's a real tight fit. My hands are too large, as a matter of fact. I read somewhere else that the aftermarket PCV valve we're using is indeed not the same as the OEM valve. If this is so, I guess you'd need to get it from the dealership. Perhaps Sabrina or someone else from a dealership could post a pic of the OEM valve for reference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
dfw6er
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing