Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

Is there here any workaround to remove the painted mirror cover part ? I need to repaint them

Is it just "clip-on" or I need to remove the whole mirror and unscrew some parts ?

Thanks

Fred

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Follow the door panel removal thread as it is a great guide! There are 3 screws in the door that need to be removed: one by the latch, one by the light at the bottom of the door and one in the door pocket thing. You can't see the screw in the door pocket because it is being covered by a crappy felt/plastic cover. You basically have to rip up the cover to get to the screw which is located in the middle of the pocket. When I pulled up that cover in the pocket it tore in half so be prepared for that. Naughty Mazda for putting a stupid cover in there and a screw underneath. Shame Shame.

Once you get the screws off, go around the outer edges of the door with a big handled flathead screwdriver and pop each one of the plastic tabs away from the door itself. There are 2-3 on each side. Once you get that off you can take off the panel and get to the mirror.

The nuts are easy to remove from the mirror. The trouble I had was with the connector plug. Removing that seemed to take the jaws of life and for me to channel my inner strength to get it off. Once you get it off, removal of the mirror is complete.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/interior-modifications/144965-how-removing-interior-seats-door-panels.html (door panel removal is in there)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow the door panel removal thread as it is a great guide! There are 3 screws in the door that need to be removed: one by the latch, one by the light at the bottom of the door and one in the door pocket thing. You can't see the screw in the door pocket because it is being covered by a crappy felt/plastic cover. You basically have to rip up the cover to get to the screw which is located in the middle of the pocket. When I pulled up that cover in the pocket it tore in half so be prepared for that. Naughty Mazda for putting a stupid cover in there and a screw underneath. Shame Shame.

Once you get the screws off, go around the outer edges of the door with a big handled flathead screwdriver and pop each one of the plastic tabs away from the door itself. There are 2-3 on each side. Once you get that off you can take off the panel and get to the mirror.

The nuts are easy to remove from the mirror. The trouble I had was with the connector plug. Removing that seemed to take the jaws of life and for me to channel my inner strength to get it off. Once you get it off, removal of the mirror is complete.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/interior-modifications/144965-how-removing-interior-seats-door-panels.html (door panel removal is in there)
My car is 2nd gen, don't know if 1st gen guide will work on my 2nd gen Mazda6.

Lets see how it work.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
idk how to remove anything on the 2nd gen sorry.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yes, please always check what section you are in before giving disassembly information to someone with a different car than you.
You don't need to remove the inside door panel on the 2nd Gen at all to remove the mirror cover.

OUTER MIRROR GLASS REMOVAL
1. Press area B of the mirror glass so that area A moves outward.
2. Detach pin A while lifting up the inside of the mirror glass holder.
3. Pull the mirror glass holder and remove pins B.
4. Disconnect the connectors. (vehicles with heated outer mirrors)
5. Remove the mirror glass holder and the outer mirror glass as a single unit.

OUTER MIRROR GARNISH REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
1. Remove the outer mirror glass from the outer mirror. (See 09-12-31 OUTER MIRROR GLASS REMOVAL.)
2. Grasp the upper side of the outer mirror garnish and remove it by pulling it in the direction of the arrow.
3. Install in the reverse order of removal.

Hope this helps.
~Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, please always check what section you are in before giving disassembly information to someone with a different car than you.
You don't need to remove the inside door panel on the 2nd Gen at all to remove the mirror cover.

1. Remove the outer mirror glass from the outer mirror. (See 09-12-31 OUTER MIRROR GLASS REMOVAL.)
2. Grasp the upper side of the outer mirror garnish and remove it by pulling it in the direction of the arrow.

Hope this helps.
~Mike
Thanks a lot, that will help me for sure.

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
does the glass have to be remove to remove the back?

Can i just follow the pulling of off the backing?
Just turn the glass all the way to one side and you will be able to see the little tabs on the inside holding the cover on. Then get in there with a flathead screwdirver and get some of the tabs loose. Then just work your way around. Thats how i git mine off.

If you just pull hard on them like this guy ^^^^ said, you are bound to break something.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay can someone please show me a video or post a link or anything. I need help I feel like I am going to break something.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hope this helps.
~Mike
Could you please do a video of this if possible I cannot see the pins I have to pull out to get the mirror out..

·
Registered
907 Posts
Ok, I found a video for you. Go to the link below. It's an Amazon product page for Mazda replacement mirrors. Look at the images on the left side of the page. There is one with a play button that brings up an installation video.
The pegs look like little ball/socket joints on all three points (A and B) so they should just pop out with a pull.

Robot Check

Many lucks,

~Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hope this helps.
~Mike
If by any chance you know, is this the same for the 3rd gen?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts