Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Mazda 6 Luxury Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attempting to remove the plastic cover without just completely cracking it. Wondering if any of you have any idea on how to do this?

Doing this to install halos and a strip light.
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Food

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,403 Posts
Used a soldering iron on 450°, to melt it 🤣
So if anyone else trying to do it it's a good method, prying and soldering iron.
🤦‍♂️
Glad it worked for you.
The conventional way is to heat the whole unit in an oven or with a heat gun. This softens the butyl sealant and then it pulls right apart. After our work is completed, put it back together with clips and reheat (oven or heat gun) to reseal.

How are you going to deal with that melted plastic?

·
Registered
2005 Mazda 6 Luxury Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
🤦‍♂️
Glad it worked for you.
The conventional way is to heat the whole unit in an oven or with a heat gun. This softens the butyl sealant and then it pulls right apart. After our work is completed, put it back together with clips and reheat (oven or heat gun) to reseal.

How are you going to deal with that melted plastic?
Just didn't melt the plastic, have hands steadier than a surgeon. As for actually why I did this way, couldn't fit into the oven where I was doing this and didn't have a heat gun or a hardware store nearby to buy one. At least I found a new method(y)

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,403 Posts
Just didn't melt the plastic, have hands steadier than a surgeon. As for actually why I did this way, couldn't fit into the oven where I was doing this and didn't have a heat gun or a hardware store nearby to buy one. At least I found a new method(y)
Brilliant! Now, if only I could have you do a little neurosurgery for me. Seriously... it's my foot.

Well done. Australians are the most resourceful people I have ever encountered.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Brilliant! Now, if only I could have you do a little neurosurgery for me. Seriously... it's my foot.

Well done. Australians are the most resourceful people I have ever encountered.
couldn't fit into the oven where I was doing this
And their domiciles serve to remind us North Americans how big our appliances really are. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts