Mazda 6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
QUOTE (Japan8 @ Feb 16 2009, 03:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1520431
How has everyone's experience with the DupliColor bush-on type Caliper Paint kit been? Reasonably comparable to the G2 kit?

I was thinking to do black calipers on a VR MS6... yea or ney? What color decals go with this? White? Red? Silver?[/b]
im assuming VR means velocity red? if so, i would do red stickers for sure

·
Registered
575 Posts
I bought the same stuff G2 Red. What kind of drying/set time do I need before I put the wheels back on and drive. Is the car going to be out of commission for a few hours or a day or so. A few hours I can do. If it is a day or more, Going to have to wait to do this till it warms up and I can use my bike

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
QUOTE (2000CivicHatch @ Feb 16 2009, 05:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1520444
im assuming VR means velocity red? if so, i would do red stickers for sure[/b]
Sorry... yeah..VR = Velocity Red Mica. That is what I was thinking... black with red lettering. Red calipers are not only over done, but too much red on a red car... I think.

Anyone have comments on the DupliColor Caliper Paint Kit (brush on type... not spray)... just wondering if it'll come out almost as good as G2 and last at least a year or two without chipping, fading, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (Japan8 @ Feb 16 2009, 11:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1520551
Sorry... yeah..VR = Velocity Red Mica. That is what I was thinking... black with red lettering. Red calipers are not only over done, but too much red on a red car... I think.

Anyone have comments on the DupliColor Caliper Paint Kit (brush on type... not spray)... just wondering if it'll come out almost as good as G2 and last at least a year or two without chipping, fading, etc.[/b]
Very cool idea with the garbage bag. I've painted the calipers and pads on my two sho's several times. The only thing I might add is that I've had great luck with adding a couple of coats of 500 degree Clear Coat. Makes the color pop a little more.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
QUOTE (Glocker23 @ Feb 16 2009, 06:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1520461
I bought the same stuff G2 Red. What kind of drying/set time do I need before I put the wheels back on and drive. Is the car going to be out of commission for a few hours or a day or so. A few hours I can do. If it is a day or more, Going to have to wait to do this till it warms up and I can use my bike[/b]
G2 is a two part paint, so it doens't really dry as much as it has a chemical reaction. Heat will have an effect on that reaction and the hotter it is, the faster it will react. I put my wheels back on immediately after the third coat and set the car down. The deal with leaving the wheels off is strictly for preventing damage to the uncured paint by bumping it with the wheel while you're trying to muscle it on there. I did bump one of mine and reached through the spokes with the little brush and touched up that spot. No problem. The longer that you let the paint cure the better. I did mine in the afternoon, 3pm or so, and left the car alone until noon the next day. Just plan on your car being out of commision for the better part of a day.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Anywhere else besides xenonmod.com for decals? I ordered and paid them weeks ago, but no product. I emailed them about it a few times and got a brief response, but nothing about when and if I would receive the product. I'll have to be taking this to paypal... So... any other places people can recommend?

·
Registered
389 Posts
QUOTE (Japan8 @ Mar 24 2009, 09:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1538127
Anywhere else besides xenonmod.com for decals? I ordered and paid them weeks ago, but no product. I emailed them about it a few times and got a brief response, but nothing about when and if I would receive the product. I'll have to be taking this to paypal... So... any other places people can recommend?[/b]

i got my decals from here they do pretty much anyhting and it only took like 4 days to get to the house here check it outttt

·
Registered
29 Posts
I first painted mine two years, and they looked great. But after a year, the rear ones cracked so bad that I knocked most of the paint off with the hose!!! So, I painted them(rears only) again, this time even using a primer. Its been a year and the paint and the primer both came off! But, the front calipers still looked good, with only a couple places thet need retouching. Any ideas are welcome about this problem... I have read were others have had the same problems with the rear calipers :swearin: I used the Dupli-color caliper paint, but I also have some G2 now. Any one have better luck with the G2 type?

·
Registered
116 Posts
My work, about 4-730 so it wasnt absurdly long, i also had 2 of my friends come over for a little around 5

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
what kind of paint did u guys use?
sand the calipers, vht brake cleaner, caliper spray?
or something else?
im thinking about doing it but i need some help for what to use

thank you

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE (06sixhatch @ Feb 17 2010, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1637657
what kind of paint did u guys use?
sand the calipers, vht brake cleaner, caliper spray?
or something else?
im thinking about doing it but i need some help for what to use

thank you[/b]
I used brake cleaner followed by some 200 grit sand paper and Dupli-color spray caliper paint from O'Reilly's

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just saw this thread myself. Makes me think of doin my calipers black. And it seems the OP had a good quality job out of the supplies he purchased. I should shop around unless there is a new way of going about it.

B

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was looking to do this to my car too. I have a tannish/silver color 6 and I have no idea which color would look good with that.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
FYI: I read the beginning of this thread and not all of the interim posts so please forgive me if this was covered already. There was a question about curing the paint and whether or not to let it dry or to go out and drive hard to bake the paint in.

It turns out that the answer is yes.

In that order.

From the company's website:
Curing Caliper Paint

VHT Caliper Paint only attains its unique properties after correct curing.

• Bake at 200°F (93°C) for 20 minutes.
  • The inherent heat of braking operation will also accomplish curing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yea so i bought a caliper painting kit and it came with a can of paint and a paint brush instead of spray can. i just painted it and im waiting it to dry but from the looks of it spraying on the paint would be better bcz its a more even coat than my job

·
Registered
2 Posts
red looks good on every color car. i dont think you can go wrong with red. i have a silver mazda6 and it looks good with red calipers

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
red or black. and probably two cans.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts