Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I forget where I saw it... and i could've sworn that I saved the site in my favorites... but where in the hell can I get the Mazda decals for the brake calipers?[/b]

+1

·
Registered
132 Posts
what color brake calipers would you guys recommend form a silver 6? i was thinking either black or red, more black thouhg since i have silver-goldish rims.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyone know how much it costs to powdercoat your caliper? Thought that be cool and wouldn't have to worry bout paint coming off

·
Registered
5 Posts
what color brake calipers would you guys recommend form a silver 6? i was thinking either black or red, more black thouhg since i have silver-goldish rims.[/b]

I think that red would be perfect, i have a red Mazda 6 2003 with red calipers.
Go and check on the pictures: http://www.garaget.org/?car=61308&image=557106
I think it looks really nice, what do you think ?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just painted my front ones, i'll do the back ones tomorrow....gonna post pics, it looks VERY awesome.... I just thoroughly cleaned off the calipers and everything....taped off and covered what i didnt' want painted....and put four coats of Red High Temp paint....made for up to 1200* engine applications... looks professional...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just finished mine, hopefully it holds up well

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Im finally getting my lazy ass together and re-painting the rears... for some reason they chipped real bad while the fronts havent chipped at all granted they're still dirty. Considering I did this 3+years ago they're holding up quite nicely!

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (diesel5599 @ Jul 18 2006, 09:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737117
Finally, 3yrs later I got around to painting my brake calipers. I've been wanting to paint them red ever since I got the car but never got around to it. Below are what's required and the steps to getting professional looking results without removing the calipers, overspray problems, or baking.

Supplies:

2 Cans of VHT High Temp Brake Spray (The color of your choice)
1 Can of VHT Brake Cleaner
1 Small Wire Brush
4 Thin 12 Gallon Trash Bags
1 Roll of Masking Tape
1 Piece of Fine Grit Sandpaper
1 Brillo Pad or Scrub Sponge
1 Bucket of Water

Steps:

1. Remove the tire.

2. Start with the Brillo pad or scrub sponge and bucket of water to clean as much loose brake dust, rust, dirt, etc as possible from the brake caliper. Make sure the brakes are cool to the touch before starting, I let my car sit for an hour before I started. Do not use any soap in the water, just plain water and the pad.

3. Make sure the caliper is dry then use the VHT brake cleaner to break up the tougher brake dust and rust. Alternate spraying the caliper with brushing it with the wire brush.

4. If necessary go back to the bucket of water and scrub pad to get whatever remaining brake dust you can. It won't be possible to get it looking like brand new without removing the caliper and soaking it in a cleaner solution so just get it as close as you can.

5. Let the caliper dry again then spray it one more time with the VHT Brake Cleaner.

6. Use the fine grit sandpaper to rough up as much of the caliper as possible. Do not scrub too hard, this is just to help the paint stick a little better.

7. Make sure the trash bag is made out of the thinnest plastic you could get, you will see why later. Take one of the trash bags and insert it over the entire brake assembly, slide the trash bag over the assembly until it reaches the bottom of the trash bag.

8. Tear a small hole in the trash bag and line the hole up with the top left edge of the caliper. Slowly pull on the plastic and let it slowly rip and stretch as you expand the hole and place the plastic around the caliper. Make sure you do not make the hole any bigger than it needs to be in order to completely expose the caliper. The hole should be a tight fit to ensure paint does not get around the caliper and onto the rotor. If you stretch the hole too much, throw the bag away and start with a new one. Here is where it is important that the trash bag be thin, also when you are removing the bag later, it helps to have thin plastic.

9. Use the masking tape to tape the trash bag in place, and to mask the vent holes in the caliper as well as the rubber grommets around the caliper and the bolt heads attaching the caliper to the car.

10. Follow the directions on the can of VHT to apply the paint to the caliper. For myself, I sprayed 3 coats of VHT with 20 min intervals between coats.

11. After the last coat, carefully remove the plastic and masking tape. Some people recommend driving the car hard immediately afterward and braking often so that the calipers will heat up and bake in the paint. I recommend the opposite, which is to let the paint dry for at least 5hrs. My thinking is, any brake dust that gets in the wet paint will never come out after it is dry. So I'd rather clean dry paint, than paint filled with brake dust.

Note: The best finish would be obtained by removing the calipers, applying the coats, and baking the calipers in the oven as per the recommendation on the can. I've gotten great results from past cars and have never baked the brakes. Personally I think the additional time and complexity involved with removing the calipers outweighs the benefits gained by the slightly improved finish obtained with the baking method.

..Edit..

Completed pic attached[/b]

Wow! Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. I'm new to the Mazda 6 club site and ran across your description of painting your calipers when I did a google search. I've always wondered if this was a good alternative to swapping the rotors out for Brembos or something similar. I just recently put on a set of black/silver aftermarket wheels and now the OEM calipers really show and look pretty bad. Maybe when the weather warms up (I'm in Michigan) I'll try this. Pics were great, too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've noticed alot of people paint the calipers, but not the disc around the hub. I have painted them several times using the same method as the calipers. I'm sure some will disagree, but getting some paint on the sweep area of the rotor never hurt my brakes. I just brakleen the rotors, paint, and put the wheel back on (once dry). I always do it with new rotors and they don't even have the anti-corrosion coating. It looks real nice as you can see this area through the wheels.

·
Registered
32 Posts
great info, thanks

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Finally got around to painting mine, and I don't know why I waited so long. They came out really good, I just took my time. I used the G2 Red.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
was just playing around with my camera, and decided to share a pic of my caliper
G2, with xenonmod.com decals...........

[attachment=40991:kenstyle...side_011.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
How has everyone's experience with the DupliColor bush-on type Caliper Paint kit been? Reasonably comparable to the G2 kit?

I was thinking to do black calipers on a VR MS6... yea or ney? What color decals go with this? White? Red? Silver?

61 - 80 of 101 Posts
About this Discussion
100 Replies
65 Participants
DamianPL
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing