Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah yeah, I know this is a weak assed how-to, but after doing some searches among the forums, quite a bit of oil change questions have came up along the way. So I'd like to contribute to the forums minutely and hopefully help some folks out in the future because I sure needed help on this. Anyway here goes...

The 2.3 DISI engine's oil filter consists of a cartridge style filter. It's not the traditional "tin can" spin-on type. So therefore, there will be a couple of more steps involved. Not to worry, this how-to should hopefully guide you along the way so you can save yourself some time, money for more beer, and the many possibilities of screw ups the dealerships can inflict on your beloved MS6 (Don't ask me how I know) :mad: Don't forget to drive the car to normal operating temps before you do this. Alrighty, so you will need the following:

1. Equipment to raise your car. (Jack w/stands, ramps, lift, etc, etc.)
2. 10mm socket (Belly pan)
3. 17mm socket (Oil drain plug)
4. 6mm Allen key (Oil filter cartridge drain plug)
5. 76mm w/14 flutes oil filter wrench (Self explanatory. A MUST FOR EASY REMOVAL!)
6. Flathead screwdriver or similar tool (O-ring removal)
7. Container for used oil
8. Your oil of choice
9. Your oil filter of choice (MAKE SURE it comes with 2 O-rings!)
10. Safety gogg..... wait, what the hell am I thinking? :p

Step 1:

Raise the car at a comfortable working height using the equipment of your choice. I had the luxury of a lift at the base's auto hobby shop, then again I live in an apartment. :(

Step 2:

With a 10mm socket and ratchet remove the belly pan to expose the cars guts underneath.

Step 3:

Use the 17mm socket to remove the oil drain plug with the container underneath. There's plenty of oil in there so it's going to be a while. Meanwhile, inspect the condition of the crush washer. If it looks in bad shape, it might be a good idea to replace it. Looks good? Reuse it!

Step 4:

When the oil rush comes down to a trickle, screw in the drain plug by hand and move the container under the oil filter. It's the black cylinder shaped object forward of the car

Step 5:

On the center of the oil filter cartridge, there's a recessed hex slot. With the 6mm Allen key, remove the plug to drain the oil out the filter itself. If you're lucky, the dealership hasn't stripped yours out like mine! :lol:

Step 6:

Once the oil from the filter is gone, use the oil filter wrench to remove the cartridge. After removal, slide out the old filter.

Step 7:

With the O-rings that came with the filter replace the 2 O-rings on the cartridge by removing them with a screwdriver or similar tool. I did it by hand since I'm good with my fingers. ;) The smaller O-ring goes on the filter drain plug (picture not shown). Lube them up really good. Some people skip this step, from what I've read and heard. I went ahead and replaced mine. Shit, they're new, right?

Step 8:

Slide in the new filter and screw the oil filter cartridge on, then tighten snugly.

Step 9:

Now go back to the oil drain plug that was screwed by hand and take it out one last time. More oil will come out. After the last of the oil has came out screw and tighten the drain plug. Was the crush washer in good shape?

Step 10:

Add you oil of choice. The manual says 5.7 liters. I added about 5.5 and it was a bit overfilled to where it said "MAX" on the dipstick. Check for any leaks upon filling.

Step 11:

Drive the car around a few blocks and raise it up to check for any leaks. No leaks? Alrighty, put the belly pan back on! Done!

If I missed anything or have any suggestions, let's hear it! :D

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Reactions: AtTheDriveIn

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
nice write up, but you forgot to tell the folks to loosen/remove the oil fill cap before doing this. Also you should loosen the oil filter cartridge some before removing the filter plug, as this helps with getting the oil to flow out better.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have always (and recommend) that you skip step 5. There's no need to remove the little hex head.

Just losen the oil filter housing, spin it a couple of turns with you hand, and with the drain pan underneath, tilt the cover to one side allowing the oil in the filter cartridge to drain a bit.

You'll never have a leak or strip the hex head if you never remove it.
Just make sure you wear protective gear if the oil is hot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I always spray a little simple green on a paper towel and wipe down the filter cap and plug area just so I can check for leaks the next time a little easier.

·
Registered
292 Posts
great write up. I'm not going to lie, never changed the oil in a car with a cartridge type haha. I feel comfortable doing my oil change now ;)

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Have you PM'd MarsVolta yet? You guys would definitely hit it off. No homo.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I do it slightly differently.

1. Drain oil into driveway, downhill preferably into a body of water.
2. Put plug back in (re-use same filter to save $6)
3. Fill with 7 qts of sand

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have always (and recommend) that you skip step 5. There's no need to remove the little hex head.

Just losen the oil filter housing, spin it a couple of turns with you hand, and with the drain pan underneath, tilt the cover to one side allowing the oil in the filter cartridge to drain a bit.

You'll never have a leak or strip the hex head if you never remove it.
Just make sure you wear protective gear if the oil is hot.

+1 I never saw the need to mess with the cartridge drain. One less failure to worry about.

·
Registered
418 Posts

If you also add green antifreeze, it makes pretty colors and puppies think it is just yummy!
What filter? There is a filter?
Try a 50/50 mix of sand and pea-gravel...sounds like a chinese pinball machine
I dont care who you are...thats some funny shit ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Great write up! I changed mine for the first time about 1000 miles ago and it took me like 3 hours because I had to run out to three different auto part stores to find the right oil filter wrench to fit. Easy once I got the right one though.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
necrobump?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Damn didn't even see that was from last year lol. Oh wellz.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Woah, careful now! 7 qts of sand WITH the balance shaft out. Otherwise 5.5.

I love a smartass.

·
Registered
37 Posts
you say the smaller o-ring goes onto the filter driain plug....just slide it past the threads to the head and it sits there??? alsmot like a gasket as you tighten the drain plug....just want to do be double sure, my first time underneath the 6th althogh i am not a car tard ive dealt with nothing but mustangs my emtire life so this is all very new to me....thank you in advance Brandon ps if anyone cars the mustangs were a 92 gt: pretty much every bolt on under the sun including heads and intake...and 96 cobra full exhaust and someother boilt ons...a 99 cobra and an 01 cobra....alll very very very fun just not daily drivers with the roads and weather in maryland

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
The filter drain bolt has a nice little groove for the o-ring, can't miss it or screw it up, so to speak....

TBH, I haven't even removed that drain bolt in years, I just skip that step & simply pull the filter & let it drain all at once. Not that big of a deal

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yea, I have a oil bucket and I just remove filter slowly. The Allen key screw is just to get the oil out without have it splurge all over. I happen to prefer it the other way round so I don't remove it.

Use shell rotella t6 5w-40. I change at 3000-4000. Can go up to 5000. Dizi likes to make fuel dilution in the oil. Fuel in oil, according to tigray is bad mojo. :)

Reactions: TiGraySpeed6
1 - 20 of 24 Posts