Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my bumper today to verify that HID's will fit in the lower fog lights (I have the Mazda ones, but I would assume that they will fit in the Heronew ones too). They Fit!! I am beginning installation tonight.

Let me state that before buying your kit, please read this.

1. The regular Bulb in the Lower Fogs from Mazda are H1 bulbs, but they are placed in a 9006 bulb holder. Since HID bulbs have the pigtails already attached to them, you cannot use HID H1 bulbs (unless you glue them in like I did). Purchase a 9006 kit to have a plug and play system. I will proceed with this writeup assuming that you have purchased the correct kit.

2. The bulbs come out of the foglight housing by removing the metal clip on the back, and then twisting 1/3 turn counter clockwise. Keep the housing and stock bulb for a backup.

3. When inserting the new HID bulb, make sure that you are careful to put it in very straight as to not scratch it on the side of the reflector housing. Turn 1/3 turn clockwise to secure and reinstall retaining clip.

4. The power wires to the lower fogs are located on a plug connector behind where the stock airbox would be, under the bumper (not in the engine bay).

5. (this is a 2 parter)

- IF YOU GOT A WIRING HARNESS THAT CONNECTS STRAIGHT TO THE BATTERY, READ THIS PART: The remote wire to activate the relay is the blue/red wire that goes into the connector under the bumper behind the stock airbox location. You need to tap into that wire. I did it by taking a razor blade, running it around the wire gently, pulling back the shielding, and then soldering my wire in. Then connect you power wires to the battery and your ground wires to a grounding point and you are good to go. You may also remove the stock wiring harness for the fogs if you so choose.

- IF YOU GOT THE STANDARD XTEC KIT THAT HAS A + and - LEAD ON EACH BALLAST, READ THIS PART: The plugs that used to plug into the stock fog lights will become your source of power for these lights. YOU CANNOT REMOVE YOUR WIRING HARNESS FROM THE FOGS, YOU NEED IT. Do not cut off the ends of the plugs that went into the fogs before, incase you ever need to plug them back in. Instead, take a razor, run it around the outside of the wire, pull back the sheeting, and then solder your new wire for power and ground into those. You will need to cut off the male connectors on the leads from the HID kit and strip the wires to allow you to twist them around the other wires for soldering.

6. Plug all of the connectors in (They only go 1 way, so you can't screw this up). Turn on your fogs and enjoy.

The cutoff on the stock foglight reflectors with HID bulbs is VERY good. I drove at my friend and he said the fogs never blinded him (just the HID headlights.)

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lower fogs are reflectors, not projectors, so they won't be quite as bright, but the color will match better, and they'll be better than regular lights

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
The lower fogs are reflectors, not projectors, so they won't be quite as bright, but the color will match better, and they'll be better than regular lights
[/b]
.......... u'll blind everyone with those cheapo reflector.... and probably you will melt the housing as well... and i wouldnt recommend it.... lower fogs are not quite a good quality... and if water gets in..... there goes ur $$$....

D2R bulbs are for reflector housing... BUT the reflector housing (like in old acura TL) are meant for HID, as they designed it so that it wont blind people... take a look of other low beam reflector housing, why are there "grooves" .. but not in high beam (flat chrome) ?

i think if u put a HID kit into the lower fog, it's like turning on ur highbeam the whole time....

edit: just re read the post again... oh u mean u have the factory lower fog?? i havent seen 1 in person, so i donk know how the reflector is designed...

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's why I picked up some silicone sealant...

I will see how I like it, and can always go back to the old way...

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
how about the heat it generates? it will surely melt the chrome reflector.... i melted mine....

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I've had HID's in my fogs for a few months now with no issues.

What kind of HID kit do you have? I had to take out the bulb cover in the foglight housing, because the HID bulbs were too long.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had HID's in my fogs for a few months now with no issues.

What kind of HID kit do you have? I had to take out the bulb cover in the foglight housing, because the HID bulbs were too long.
[/b]

These are the lower fogs.

how about the heat it generates? it will surely melt the chrome reflector.... i melted mine....
[/b]
Did you put HID's in the lower fogs? I thought that HID's ran cooler than regular 55w bulbs

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
no... i put halogen h3... i'll try to take some pics of it sometimes....

they are not necessarily run cooler than halogen...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
These are the lower fogs.
Did you put HID's in the lower fogs? I thought that HID's ran cooler than regular 55w bulbs
[/b]
I've got my HID's in the lower fogs, the speed6 doesn't have the integrated fogs.

A 35 watt HID setup does run cooler than a 55 watt halogen bulb.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I've got my HID's in the lower fogs, the speed6 doesn't have the integrated fogs.

A 35 watt HID setup does run cooler than a 55 watt halogen bulb.
[/b]
Oh??? how did u test it out? the temperature i mean

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I have been running for 2 days with this system, and I can attest to the fact that it is fine. The housing doesn't get excessively hot, and the cutoff is great. It doesn't point too high.

How to is coming when I have 5 spare minutes to type it up.

The tops are 6000k Xtec HIDs

The Bottoms are 5000k McCulloch Hids

Attachments

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
.... hmmm i wouldnt recommend it until i see it in person... picture wont do justice....

then again, i wouldnt spend those money for unwanted "performance"(or output should i say).... if u want more output, i would suggest HID projector (bi-xenon) with mirror mod.... that would get u settled.... front and side...

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eh, I paid just a little over $100 for them...

I could have spent the $40 on the rpm bulbs, but they wouldn't have matched very well, so for a little extra, I got a lot more

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
i have never quite understood why getting HID in the lower fogs is justified. just too much money for my blood. defenitely a lot more things i could do with the extra $400.
[/b]

Because any normal halogen bulb will not match. If you're that nitpicky about bulbs matching, you'd do it. I am. As far as I'm concerned, there are two options. Matching, or an extreme 'Lexus' yellow. I'd prefer to match.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
$100 on an HID kit for the lower fogs? now i see reasoning to it. i was thinking it was the HID kit that cost well over $200.

and i like the extreme yellow look of the Lexus cars. thinking about doing that myself.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
ahh i c... 100 bucks for HID kit... i would take it too...

but if u melt the housing, it would be more than 100buck spent..

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
About this Discussion
76 Replies
29 Participants
jhill1977
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing