Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed my cat back and Ive seen a few members ask what bolt size they have and whith all the new members joining i figured i would write a how to, most of the pics are from removing the stock catback but you should gat the idea ..

tools needed :

ratchet
14 mm socket
15 mm socket
17 mm socket
WD-40
ramps or jack and jack stands
wheel chocks

and a friend to laugh at you while you sqwerm under the car is a plus

1) i used Ramps ,so i backed the car onto the ramps , put the Ebrake on and put the gear in reverse , chock wheels , turn off engine ,

2) disconnect battery , not necesarry but you have to do it later on anyway so your ECU can adjust to the new catback

3) double check stands or jacks for movement , you dont want the car to fall or roll on you while your under the car

4) use your ratchet and 14 mm socket to remove 4 bolts as in pic 1 . i used a breaker bar to loosen the rusty nuts from the bolt , here is where the mufflers attach to the Y-pipe

5) now move towards the catalytic converter towards the front of the car , you will need a 17mm socket on the 2 nuts ,arrows points to where thay are located in pic 2

6) when you remove the nuts you can pull the middle pipe back towards the rear of the car, to move bolts coming from the catalytic converter out of the holes , be carful as the cat. will drop towards the floor so dont be lying under it while doing this , also there is a metal gasket there remove it and lay it on the ground as you will need to install this on the new setup

7 ) i installed new Kartboy Hangers so this might be differnt for you if your keeping stock hangers , take your WD-40 and you will spray the hole of the hanger that is connected to the body you dont need to remove the hanger from the stock piping if installing new hangers .

i grabbed the pipe under the hanger and pulled down to make to opening bigger , then with my other hand i pulled hanger away from the pipe , it should come off very easy as the stock hangers are soft

8) now move to the hanger by the Y-pipe pictured here . remove the same way

here is the hanger for one of the mufflers

9) now that the stock piping and mufflers are removed you need a 15 mm socket for the clamps that come with the Magnaflow catback , grab your new Kartboy hangers and put them on the new system

the smaller rubber hangers go to the part that gets connected to the catalytic converter ,position all pieces needed under the car where you are going to install it

10) start from the catalytic converter grab the new pipe with the resonater on it as in this picture

push the rubber hangers onto the body hangers that way it can hold the pipe for you while you position the bolts into the holes , dont forget to install the metal gasket you removed from the stock setup , just mount the nuts by hand do not tighten

11) now that thats connected grab your second pipe with the Y and grab a pipe , clamp first place the clamp onto the pipe then connect the Y-pipe with the one connected to the Cat. than connect the rubber hanger to the body of the car . now that thet middle pipe is straight go back and tighten your nuts on the catalytic converter bolts

12) now at the open ends of the Y-pipe you need to put on the clamps on the pipe then install your new Mufflers .

13) this is when you could use a friend to help , you want to get an even gap between the mufflers and the rear bumper you need to move the pipes around till you get the desired location of the mufflers . you must leave at at least a 1/2 inch gap between the tips and the bumper to prevent any melting of the bumper .

14 ) go back and tighten the 3 clamps over the flanges on the Y-pipe and the 2 mufflers make you friend make sure the positioning is right

15 ) once your done connect the negative battery terminal and start your engine, get back under the car and tighten the clamps if any leaks are present .

16 ) once thats done move any tools form under the car and remove the chocks on the front wheels . and go take a ride and enjoy your new catback system

here are compleated pics still on ramps

note:

i installed the Kartboy Hangers as they are stiffer than the stock hangers . if you dont you might experience banging from the right muffler , there is a metal hook under the hanger and the muffler is very close to it , so when you hit bumps it will bang . the kartBoy hanger will prevent this from happening for the most part if you installed the muffler correctly .

get your Magnaflow Catback From :
RPM or CVR motorsports

get your Kartboy hangers from
Kartboy

hopes this helps somebody ...........................................LEFTY

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Very nicely done. Any completed pics? I'm still trying to decide if it's the look/sound/style that I'm looking for or not.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Originally posted by leftyrev@Feb 12 2005, 07:12 PM
there is a metal hook under the hanger and muffler is very close to it , so when you hit bums it will bang
[snapback]363143[/snapback]​
i hit bums all the time!! :D

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i added the only pic i have so far .
the sound is pretty nice . in the car with the radio off sounds good. with the radio on you can hear it faintly , not too loud but still had people turning thier heads cause of the deep tone . deep tone but overall the system is not annoying or anything like the honda fartcans . i may buy the resanator delete pipe thats Blackmagik13 is getting . would make it deeper

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by bgr6@Feb 12 2005, 08:09 PM
i hit bums all the time!!  :D
[snapback]363161[/snapback]​
cmon give me a break.....lolol . i wrote it pretty fast im sure there are more mistakes in there lol

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Irrelevant question, but how did you get the car up onto the ramps? I've tried using those exact ramps before but they slid when I tried to drive up 'em. The tires just pushed them along.. I always wondered how people were able to get up on 'em.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nicely done! I diddo'ed that install 5 months ago on my 6s. Except for the hangers (I used the stockers) ...ands yes had the bang against the tow hook....and ...well....my trusty ole Victor torched her right off...problem resolved.............The 'flows' are still flow'n ...looks great...sounds great...nuff said......hi-5 on the pics!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
those ramps are the old style metal ramps my father had around , i never used those plastic one they have now , maybe that has somthin to do with it , i dont know . i always get worried im gonna go to far and jump it lolol

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Great write up. This actually comes in hand since im receiving my system today and installing it this weekend :D

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
glad you find it helpfull .

Note : make sure you make adjustments for the tow hook on the right rear of the car , especially if your not using Kartoy hangers . i using stock hangers you might need to cut the Tow hook off . to prevent banging

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Woohooo!!!

I finally have my exhaust hooked up and it sounds phat. I love when turning the car on, you hear that nice deep grunt. Installation wasnt that bad, removing the old system was the most difficult part, a lil elbowgrease and wd-40 are definatly needed. As far as the stock hangers, they are workign fine for me. I havent heard any banging yet. and the tow hook??? I didnt have any kind of fitment issues. All in all I am very pleased, I recomend this to anyone who wants a crisp sound. If you arent handy a muffler shop will install it for you for around $75.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I actually used the stock ones and have no banging from the tow hook whatsoever...My trick or I should say the garage I went to just cut a couple of cm off of the Y-pipe were it meets at the center pipe and was able to adjust the mufflers to a perfect fit.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I actually used the stock ones and have no banging from the tow hook whatsoever...My trick or I should say the garage I went to just cut a couple of cm off of the Y-pipe were it meets at the center pipe and was able to adjust the mufflers to a perfect fit.

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Ok, so I ordered the kartboy hangers to install on my mufflers. The problem is the stock hangers arent budging, let alone theres not a lot of room to work with either. I blasted it w/ wd-40 and it hasnt budged at all. Does someone have any recomendations as to facilitate the removal of the stock hangers??

Update: They are a Bitch to install, anyway getting a magnaflow Make sure you get the kartboys when you install them and not after otherwise you will be highly aggrivated!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Originally posted by smokeU6s@Apr 20 2005, 04:34 PM
Ok, so I ordered the kartboy hangers to install on my mufflers.  The problem is the stock hangers arent budging,  let alone theres not a lot of room to work with either.  I blasted it w/ wd-40 and it hasnt budged at all.  Does someone have any recomendations as to facilitate the removal of the stock hangers??
Update:  They are a Bitch to install, anyway getting a magnaflow Make sure you get the kartboys when you install them and not after otherwise you will be highly aggrivated!!
[snapback]395973[/snapback]​
Did you have to re-adjust them(Magnaflows) after the install? I wasnt sure if they were a bit different tan the stock ones.

-JR

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Originally posted by JrV@Apr 20 2005, 08:43 PM
Did you have to re-adjust them(Magnaflows) after the install? I wasnt sure if they were a bit different tan the stock ones.

-JR
[snapback]396072[/snapback]​

Nah, once the pipes are clamped down you really cant re-adjust anything. They are a PITA to put on since theyre made of very stuff rubber, the best way I found was do the right muffler first since thats the one that bangs against the tow hook. Put the hanger on the muffler first, then push the hanger as far are you possibly can onto the muffler rod(REquires extreme force), the bend it as hard as you can to slip over the cars hanger hook. Really you only need to put the hanger on the right muffler as that will stiffen up the left one as well. I did the other one just for added strenght. In all it took me about an hour.

Ben

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
taking off the stock hanger for me was pretty easy , i just pulled down on the stock muffler and pulled the stock hanger off with it still attached to stock muffler .

you can move the magnaflows around still with Kartboys to adjust fitment , you still have some play . after adjusting you can tighten the bolts on the catback to keep firm .

also i suggest you use small hose clamps on the hooks by the catback as the magnaflows hooks are very short and the Hangers can possibly slip off , even with Kartboys

1 - 20 of 148 Posts