Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a kicker amp and kicker subs. But i was wondering if i can just connect them to my stock radio, insteaad of buying a after market one. If so, how? Thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
QUOTE (DreaMazda @ Mar 20 2009, 09:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1536383
I have a kicker amp and kicker subs. But i was wondering if i can just connect them to my stock radio, insteaad of buying a after market one. If so, how? Thanks[/b]
Try going to page 1 of this thread. Tells you exactly how to do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Everyone has told me that if im going to keep it stock, i need to buy a high and low? or something extra besides amp, sub, and wires

·
Registered
341 Posts
QUOTE (DreaMazda @ Mar 20 2009, 09:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1536398
Everyone has told me that if im going to keep it stock, i need to buy a high and low? or something extra besides amp, sub, and wires[/b]
You probably mean an LOC(line out converter). Yes, you need an LOC to hook up your radio to your amp. If your amp comes with an LOC, you don't need to purchase one. Some people would rather use it anyway simply because it's better to use RCA cables since they're shielded.

·
Registered
769 Posts
hey angel120, did you connect the sub remote to the blank dummy switch you pulled out or did you buy and extra one?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
QUOTE (kewlguy6 @ Mar 22 2009, 03:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1537076
hey angel120, did you connect the sub remote to the blank dummy switch you pulled out or did you buy and extra one?[/b]
I have an '03 6, so it might be different for me. Anyway, my car came has 3 dummy switches, 1 was used for the instrument cluster's dimmer switch. The others were blank dummies, I just used one of them. Not sure if your car has any blanks available, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Rockford 4 channel amp with High level inputs. Does that mean I don't need an LOC? Also, I'm considering mounting the amp under my passenger seat for my 4 speakers and then if I decide to hook up my sub, run a pass through cable to the trunk to another amp. Anyone do this?

Note: I have a 2009 6, non-bose.

·
Registered
341 Posts
QUOTE (jetsfan420 @ Mar 26 2009, 12:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1538811
I have a Rockford 4 channel amp with High level inputs. Does that mean I don't need an LOC? Also, I'm considering mounting the amp under my passenger seat for my 4 speakers and then if I decide to hook up my sub, run a pass through cable to the trunk to another amp. Anyone do this?

Note: I have a 2009 6, non-bose.[/b]
Like I posted above, you don't NEED to use an LOC. You can use the high-level inputs on the amp. Just use 12-14AWG wire from the headunit to the amp. You could also use an LOC near the headunit to prevent any interference you might get. I'd suggest against putting it under your seat. The main reason is that when a passenger sits back there, they might hit the amp and knock off a cable. Plus, it'd be a pain in the ass to get the amp down there. Trust me, I looked. Your best bet is to put both amps in the trunk. You can either mount both on the back seats, or put one in the wheel well, depending on the size of amp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey just got a 2008 Mazda 6 i speed VE...I had a sort of...general question...I like the factory stereo so I'm not changing it out and I'm probably going to buy an amp and some subs for it when my dad isn't looking lol but I was definately hoping to buy 2 12" subs (probably like 600-800 watts rms) and buying an amp too. My question (sorry for beating around the bush) is does anyone have any suggestions for sub size/what works best in the car. I completely understand how to install everything so i dont really need help with that but i was just kind of curious what people thought about certain products in their 6's and stuff like that.

·
Registered
341 Posts
QUOTE (Cjwasco @ Apr 2 2009, 04:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1542017
Hey just got a 2008 Mazda 6 i speed VE...I had a sort of...general question...I like the factory stereo so I'm not changing it out and I'm probably going to buy an amp and some subs for it when my dad isn't looking lol but I was definately hoping to buy 2 12" subs (probably like 600-800 watts rms) and buying an amp too. My question (sorry for beating around the bush) is does anyone have any suggestions for sub size/what works best in the car. I completely understand how to install everything so i dont really need help with that but i was just kind of curious what people thought about certain products in their 6's and stuff like that.[/b]
Well, I have an MRP-450 amp with a kicker cvr12. It kicks nicely with just one sub. I know that there is a thread on this forum that has pics and setup info for members on here. You'd also want to PM JettaJet, if he's still around. He knows his stuff and is an audio fanatic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
alright thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is there any way to hook up an amp to a factory radio without the LOC. I have looked and seen amps with high level speaker inputs. In that case do I just splice the speaker wires and hook them up to the amp. And if I can do this, do I have to run RCA cables, or no because the speakers are plugged directly into the Amp?

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great write up!!!

I do have one question though.

Since you're only using them to give a signal to the amp, which is just going to filter out any mid or treble anyway, does it actually matter that the front gets better equalization?? Wouldn't it be better to leave the fronts alone so that they get a full voltage signal and thus retaining quality? I'm definitely not a stereo guru so I'm not actually sure. It just seems like the front speakers are the better sounding, and more important ones, and that splitting their signal would be possibly detrimental to the sound quality.

Also, please note that I have a hatchback. My rears are in the doors behind the front seats so I really don't hear them that much anyways. Most of my sound comes from the fronts, the rears are kind of like a filler. On that note, does anyone know which wires are for the rear speakers on an 04 non bose application?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
QUOTE (Enice816 @ Jun 9 2009, 11:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1570657
another question I have. Does anyone know what gauge wire is used for the speakers as well as the cig lighter? Thanks[/b]
Somewhere between 0 and 22 (kidding). I honestly don't know.. Maybe 16 or 18 AWG? Either way, I don't really think the gauge of the cig is really that important, just use a wire that's close enough..

QUOTE (Butler02 @ Jun 15 2009, 08:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1573255
Great write up!!!

I do have one question though.

Since you're only using them to give a signal to the amp, which is just going to filter out any mid or treble anyway, does it actually matter that the front gets better equalization?? Wouldn't it be better to leave the fronts alone so that they get a full voltage signal and thus retaining quality? I'm definitely not a stereo guru so I'm not actually sure. It just seems like the front speakers are the better sounding, and more important ones, and that splitting their signal would be possibly detrimental to the sound quality.

Also, please note that I have a hatchback. My rears are in the doors behind the front seats so I really don't hear them that much anyways. Most of my sound comes from the fronts, the rears are kind of like a filler. On that note, does anyone know which wires are for the rear speakers on an 04 non bose application?[/b]
To answer your first question, try this: set the Fade to F8 (the front speakers), and turn the mids and treb down to 0. Play some music, then do the same again, but instead set Fade to R8 (the rears). Compare the quality. If it's the same to you, then by all means, splice into the rears.
Honestly, I don't think splicing into the front speakers are going to suck up THAT much voltage, otherwise no one would be using this method.

PS - I think all bodies have all 4 speakers in all 4 doors. Well, I know my sedan does..

·
Registered
50 Posts
PS - I think all bodies have all 4 speakers in all 4 doors. Well, I know my sedan does..[/b]
I didn't realize that. I just figured the sedans would have them in the rear dash part like most other sedans do.

and I guess I'll just take your word for the fronts vs. rears thing. It seems to be the general consensus on how to do it anyway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok, so Ive got several questions as well as recomendations.

First off, helpful writeup, but it didnt make the firewall any easier(no write up will ever make a firewall easier). That always seems to be the most difficult part of an amp install (My mazda will be my 6th Amp install). BUT, I successfully installed my 3awg wire today, it was huge!

I went over the top instead of the bottom

I didn't bother taking out battery, I simply loosened the battery and moved it aside, made things easier.

And regarding a previous post or two, I definitely recommend Wiring the the Power cable down the drivers side of the car, and wiring the Output cables/RCA's/Speaker wire and Remote wire down the passenger side in order to avoid interference from the power cable's Magnetic Field.
especially when installing an amp like the one I have with 700w+ and 3 awg wire

Questions:

1. Is there a particular reason you wired the amp wires coming down from the top of the trunk?
I just installed the wire running along the bottom of the seats. My amp is connected to the side of my sub box, which will allow me to easily disconnect and remove the subs/amp as a single unit if I need to fold down the seats for storage:

2. Now for the LOC debate:
Im looking to eventually get an aftermarket Head Unit with the Metra dash kit, so I would prefer not to wpend my money on an LOC right now. I have also read the previous posts, but I still dont quite understand how the LOC is usefull? Why wouldnt everyone just splice off of the front/rear speakers? Im not sure about most amps, but Im using a Mono D class AMP that is strickly for Subs, therefore it has a built in Low Pass Filter. In addition, it also has Speaker Level Inputs(SLI), (R/L +/-) wire inputs for the amp.
According to the manual, if I use the SLI, I no longer need a remote wire. And I wouldnt think the Power delivered to the Front/Rear would be affected from splicing to the amp, simply because the amp is not drawing its power from the HU/speaker wiring, its drawing it from the +12v wire.

3. Has any one seen real problem with splicing off of the front or rear speakers?
if So Has anyone tested to see the difference between splicing off of the Front or Rear speakers?

4.A previous post said the LOC provided a boost for the subs, why not just adjust the EQ and Gain? I would assume to turn the Bass on the Stock head Unit as low as you could to limit the main speakers, yet not mute the subs.

5. Has anyone heard of any possibility of a dash kit for the 08? since It has a single Unit that looks like It could easily replaced. (not intergrated like previous years)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm only noticing one thing I don't like about this post and not sure if it was mentioned before or not, but where is your fuse on your main power line? You should have a fuse 12-18" from the battery.

Also to try and answer some questions...
1. Running your wires to the trunk/hatch is particularly a preference, I've done it both way, usually it is wires coming from the bottom because of where the amp is normally mounted, either to back of seat, on the sub box, or to an amp rack. But occassionally they are run from the top because of wanting to mount the amp to the trunk lid.

2. If you have a quality amp I stay away from the LOC. But if you are thinking about switching amps at some point in the future to maybe one that doesn't have a High Level Speaker Input might as well put the LOC in the first time, so save less work later. As far as LOC...I only use Dave Navone LOCs. They are high quality and not very pricey, with many options. Just remember gain does not equal bass boost. You wanna set the gain on the AMP/LOC using a multimeter and a test CD, it's to match the voltage of the headunit to the amp.

3. Not sure on the newer models. But with the early models of the 6 the front speaker had a lot better signal and much flatter than the rears, so most people splice the fronts. I've personally done both and depending on how much power you are gonna be running, it's not an issue.

4. You wanna try to keep your signal before the amp and loc generally flat since you are pulling the signal from speaker wires, so it's best to use either the amp's gain/eq/boost, or one through the LOC.

5. Everything is possible...have heard anything...so just wait, be patient, and most of all...hope...lol

61 - 80 of 95 Posts