Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sadly, there's no EASY way to upgrade from a NON-BOSE radio to either the display audio or navigation unit. The Bose units expect an external amp to be a part of the equation that isn't present of non-Bose vehicles. I suppose you COULD feed the non-amplified outputs to an aftermarket amp, and then back to the stock non-Bose speakers, but that would be another project. I hope this helped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Diggscreed, thanks for sharing. It will help a lot of people here in the forum who is finding a way to put a navi to there Mazda 6 car like me who is having an issue with my in built Navi for my Mazda Atenza car. Mate, I lived here in NZ and I have bought a Japanese car that have the same navi system like the one that you have posted here in the forum. My Navi System is the one with the bigger screen (the one that you have posted with working Navi that you have just installed in your car)but it operates in Japanese writting. I'm thinking that your Navi came with a system disk that you can use once it has been corrupted or crash down. Also it might reset the Navi to its factory setting and you can select now English as your operating system. Can I please have a copy of your Navi System disk that came with your Navi System so that I might be able to reset my Navi and put it on English so that I can use my cars features like the bluetooth, mp 3 input and Navi itself. If it work I'll pay you $100NZ for it. Cheers Mate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi jhill1977,

Nice post. I know that it will help a lot of people who is finding a way to put a Navi system to there car. Mate, I have the same Navi System like the one that you have bought from Ebay but it is in Japanese. I lived here in NZ and I have bought a used car that is imported from Japan and it's Navi System is in Japanese. As you have mentioned that your Navi came with a CD. I think that CD can also restore my Navi so that I can select English as it's operating system so that I can use the cars feature such as bluetooth, Ipod and Navi. Can I please have a copy of the CD? I'll pay you $100NZD for it when it work and translated my Navi to Englsih. Cheers mate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
VSS signal

Sadly, there's no EASY way to upgrade from a NON-BOSE radio to either the display audio or navigation unit. The Bose units expect an external amp to be a part of the equation that isn't present of non-Bose vehicles. I suppose you COULD feed the non-amplified outputs to an after market amp, and then back to the stock non-Bose speakers, but that would be another project. I hope this helped.
Well some people don't give up easily. I installed a 2013 Nav unit in my 2012 non bose. I used a small class d amp under the dash and the Pac Audio adapter intended for adding a amp to a stock radio. Bluetooth music and the AUX do not work so far. I think I know the wires to add to fix that however. What I'm having trouble with is finding a spot to tap the VSS signal. There is a wire on the back of the instrument panel the corresponds to what I believe is the VSS signal however tracing the wiring diagrams I have it doesn't show where it goes. Anyone have a US non bose wiring diagram that could help.

The "North American" service manual is for right hand drive cars and out of South Africa. The Ebay seller insists it's the US version

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just as a update to anyone who wants to add the OEM Nav unit to a non Bose Car.

I used the PAC AOEM-MAZ2 harness and cut the speaker output leads in this harness.

I capped the side towards the head unit and connected the side towards the original harness to the output of my Amp. I had to add the VSS wire and the parking brake signal wires. Tapped the parking brake at the switch and got the VSS signal from the back of the speedo. My car had none of the options that VSS would normally go to.

I used the output level convertor outputs of the PAC AOEM-MAZ2 to feed the amp.

There is two connections on the smaller 16 pin connector that need to be removed from pins 2D and 2F. One or both of those wires from the harness side need to be connected to pin 2G. They are joined together further up in the harness.

Used this as a antenna adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018HLAYFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used this as a gps antenna Toyota Navigation GPS Antenna 86860 33110 33090 47060 45010 is350 IS250 Is350 | eBay

And for the Amp Alpine KTP-445U 4-channel Power Pack Amplifier

Still need to get the voice commands to work. I need to find a source for the pins used in the Bluetooth connector to hook up the final three wires.

If you can try to get a Nav unit with the connectors still attached to use them as a source of pins to add to your current harness.

Audiopilot will not work as that appears to happen in the Bose Amp itself.

If you can find a Nav unit out of a 2013 they have a traffic function that gets data from some of the FM radio stations. It appears to need a strong signal to work.

For some reason my Bluetooth audio and Aux input did not work at first. Unplugging the connector to the AUX connector underneath the center cup holders and plugging it back in seemed to fix it for what ever reason.

No song data comes across from the Bluetooth however. From reading around here it is probably a fault with the firmware in the Mazda Bluetooth module.

Hope this helps anyone else thinking about doing this.

Todd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quick update. I got the Voice command to work. I had to add two pins to the Bluetooth module connector and spliced one into a existing wire. Two of the wires are shielded and I used a old USB extension cable for that. This plugs into the mic input on the back of the radio.

This mod is easier if you have the non Bose car as you do not have to rewire the AUX input back to the Bluetooth module.

You really need a source for the connectors. I lucked out as this radio had them still attached. The pins on the Bluetooth module are different then the pins on the AUX connector so you will need one of those as well to rob pins from.

The manual for this car on EBay from South Africa will help also. It shows each connector in the system un like the American version I have access to. The wire colors are different however.

Mazda is no help for replacement connectors or pins or even who made the connectors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Incredible write up and even more incrdible dedication. Ihave a 09 with NAV but my hu wont accept the nav discs anymore. (clicking sound and spits it back out) im looking into buying a new disc off eby to see if thats the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, i am also trying to upgrade from a bose unit without display to a navigation system.

Could you help me with a description of the connector on the nav unit, because on my unit beside the antenna connector, I have only two connectors.

I know that the green one is from the GPS, tha camera connector i know but there are three more that i don't.

See attached picture.

Please help!

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have just managed to get my hands on an brand new OEM navigation unit from ebay.

It will arrive in a few weeks so until then i have to figure out what do all those connectors do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi jhill1977,

Could you please help me with a step by step tutorial on how and where to connect the 5 wires for vss, parking brake, and Bluetooth in order to make the full conversion from bose non-display to nav unit.

I know that I need to buy the GPS antenna and the rest is a matter of connecting the wright pins in the wright place.

What I didn't understand is if I loose Bluetooth and aux in functionality if I upgrade from non-display bose to nav unit or only voice commands on the nav unit don't work.

By the way my Mazda is an 09 European model, but the connectors don't seem to be different.

Looking forward for your help.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have Radio Type B" can i switch to OEM Type C/Navigation" how about the cables from the back of units are they same or i will need to change something ?

·
Registered
920 Posts
It also relocated the trunk request switch to the left so the cam can be more centered with the plate. While you do not have to go this route, I did, as it was more stock. I suppose you could try to drill a hole for an aftermarket camera somewhere to the right or the left of the request switch for 2009-2010. You just may have plate interference problems.

Anyway, this garnish plate did NOT come pre-cut for the trunk request switch! I repeat that, NOT cut. It had a slightly raised plastic notch where the factory would have put it, but it was not perforated. I used that outline though to drill me four holes in the corners, then used a dremel tool to cut into the plastic, following the lines.

As far as the trunk request switch now goes, I had to buy a new one from a dealer. I'm sure you can get one off a junker tho.
Hi Diggscreed,
I'm going to add the backup cam to my '09 Sangria Red 6 using your info. It'll connect to the Nexus 7 I replaced my factory Nav with. Did your original request switch not fit the location on the new garnish piece? The one on my car is a rubber covered rectangular button and was actually crooked when I checked earlier.
I've already purchased the garnish and camera, just wondering if I really need a new request switch.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hi Mike,

What it is; is that on the 2009-2010 Mazda 6, the Rear Garnish Plate above the license plate, has the trunk request switch directly in the center. Right where you would want the camera to be. They made the factory 'Radio B', and the Navigation Radio with the video input for a backup camera already designed in. The actual backup camera itself didn't make it into the design for those model years. The 2011-2013 Mazda 6's got a fatter garnish plate to accommodate that camera depth and the trunk request switch was moved off-center towards the driver-side a bit. (The switch is different too BTW). So you cant use the same switch if you get the newer garnish plate. You'll need to get the new one to fit that hole and its more square with a round button as opposed to the rectangular switch with the rectangular button you currently have. I got a new one from the dealer. (About $43) or try to find on at a local junkyard. What the newer fatter garnish plate does is position the cut-out now for the backup cam to be in the center now above the license plate. They made that change for the 2011-2013 model years. They sorta were half-way there with the radio at least having the capability to support a camera already. As I may have mentioned in my post; I just bought a new trim plate off eBay that DIDN'T have the request switch cut-out but DID have the hole for a backup cam. Because getting one with BOTH was gonna be an arm and a leg thru the dealer new. Luckily you could slightly SEE where the factory mold machine had some raised plastic where it WOULD have cut the trunk switch hole.

(A bit off your topic) This situation is seen again when it comes to the Bluetooth microphone. For example; they positioned the microphone in the center of the dash console underneath the speaker plate on the 2009-2010 Mazda 6. But above your head in the sun-glass holder, is a spot for the microphone to go. It's empty. You know, those little divets next to each push-button map light that LOOKS as if they were there for a microphone? One set is filled in, the other set of little holes are open. But behind those holes are nothing. The same overhead console design was made in the 2009-2010 CX9, and THERE they actually put the microphone in that overhead console. Makes sense since it's right above your head. The sound quality is better in my opinion with that design than over in the center in the dash with that slopping windshield. You get that defroster going even the slightest and it gets dicey with the voice commands. Not the best place to put that microphone. In the 2011-2013 Mazda 6, they DID put it in the overhead console. Since I have GT's from both production runs, I checked on that. HOWEVER, the blue LED downlight that was in my 2010, was not there in my 2013. One of my little pet-peves when they switched designs in 2011. Then again, the 2011's LOST key-fob auto window roll down and passenger auto roll down switch, the down light and passenger auto dim mirror, painted Sirius Radio antenna...stuff like that but gained the backup cam and real-time RDS traffic on the Nav Radio's along with blinker LED side mirrors which folded and auto-lock when the car hits above 10MPH or so.

If you start with a 2009-2010....and ADD the 2011-2013's additions; you'll have a pretty nice set-up. It's a lot harder to do it the other way around.

Mazda is forward thinking when they design these things sometimes, but for some reason, they only go half-way. I suppose it's a cost cutting measure. See what sticks in the first year or so of a new model. I.E. what consumers wish they HAD that they don't in their brand new car,and when they poll these people and get that feedback they say "oh that's an easy fix! We already designed for that"! And all they have to do is add ONE piece to the next model run to complete it.

Sorry for the late response. I don't get on the forum very often lately. Hopefully that helps ya!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I finally managed to connect camera to my 2008 MAZDA6 GH. I bought this camera and cable/harness.
Used this picture as reference for pinout . The back of my BOSE system is a little bit different but anyway camera is working.

To test if camera works, go to radio screen and press both top knobs in same time and hold them for about 1-3sec. secret menu will popup and there you must enter code 83.
which will bring up camera menu.

Attachments

41 - 55 of 55 Posts