Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
@jhill1977 I love everything you did with the car, and admire you tackling this project as it seems even harder than mini bose radio, and I agree I would probably jump on $75 for that unit, but don't think I would throw 500 or more with all the wiring and everything just to have nav in my 6, but yeah upgrade for cheap I'm all for that :)

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Correct. It shouldn't change how the Nav shows on screen. As long as you have the gps antenna hooked up, it will show your car traveling on the road.

In the settings menu you will need to input the speed so it can calculate time-to- destination. And it also relates to distance-to traffic jams (if you have the later model factory nav as I show pictured here). All the settings can be tested to make sure the nav unit is receiving the signals it needs. In this case; I show the car in reverse with the parking brake on to make sure the radio senses this. And the Traffic and RDS is functioning.

It also shows the fact that the radio is for the newer 2011-2013 model and NOT the 2009-2010 like I have it installed in. (he he)...

While it may not be as intuitive to some people as the newer nav units in today's "infotainment" cars; it isn't NEAR as buggy as them. Take a look at any 3rd gen post about the infotainment nav system. They all hate it and the bugs with bluetooth and phone compatibility.......the list goes on.

Anyway; that's a hell of a steal for the 2009 radio jhill. Damn fine if you ask me? Great condition for that model year too. I would have been doing the same thing you are. Maybe include the step-by-step write-up for Puska so we can sway him to go factory nav? Yeah, he may think it's out-dated; but the other aftermarket's though they fit well......look well.......still aftermarket. A real 6 lover will know. ;-)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
It won't be hard too hard to sway me, but as I said if price is right, and jhill makes it work as factory I don't mind it, but guess I should be on the lookout for newer nav, and if its a donor car to try and grab bluetooth module and gps antenna while at it :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
It won't be hard too hard to sway me, but as I said if price is right, and jhill makes it work as factory I don't mind it, but guess I should be on the lookout for newer nav, and if its a donor car to try and grab bluetooth module and gps antenna while at it :)
Honestly, I think the factory NAV was easier than the Bose display radio, as I only had to run two new wires. Adding the second AUX input wires was a major PITA...

As you may have come to realize, I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my car projects. For my display audio project, I even went so far as to track down the upper dash LCD that was installed on cars with the Bose display radio. I love that it displays the time constantly, and I can cycle through the trip computer info as well. Needless to say, I like everything to work and look as close to stock as possible. There's no better proof of that than my "Mazdaspeed6 auto up/down mod" from several summers ago. Whenever possible, I like to use factory harnesses and wiring, and unless I'm severely space constrained, I MUCH prefer soldered/shrink wrapped splices over vampire taps. I'm the son of an electrician and the grandson of an aeronautical engineer, so I guess it's in the genes.

So far, everything is going well for this project. I picked up a newer Bluetooth module when I was doing the display audio last year. I had really hoped to hit a couple local junkyards this weekend, but the rain and late season snow squashed that idea for me.

Puska, if you're looking to do this mod, in addition to the factory nav antenna and Bluetooth module, be sure you grab the secondary microphone plug as well. Without that, you wont be able to use the voice recognition features of the radio. Also, you'll need to find the bluetooth wiring harness as well, as a couple wires need to be added nd spliced into the NAV microphone input. As we all know, the camera plug can be found third party. I'd love to get my hands on a factory backup camera, but that's a long shot, and I'm VERY happy with my Pioneer unit overall.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Honestly, I think the factory NAV was easier than the Bose display radio, as I only had to run two new wires. Adding the second AUX input wires was a FAR bigger pain.

As you may have come to realize, I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my car projects. I like everything to work and look as close to stock as possible. There's no better proof of that than my "Mazdaspeed6 auto up/down mod" from several summers ago. Whenever possible, I like to use factory harnesses and wiring, and unless I'm severely space constrained, I MUCH prefer soldered/shrink wrapped splices over vampire taps.

So far, everything is going well for this project. I picked up a newer Bluetooth module when I was doing the display audio last year. I had really hoped to hit a couple local junkyards this weekend, but the rain and late season snow squashed that idea for me.

Puska, if you're looking to do this mod, in addition to the factory nav antenna and Bluetooth module, be sure you grab the secondary microphone plug as well. As we all know, the camera plug can be found third party. I'd love to get my hands on a factory backup camera, but that's a long shot, and I'm VERY happy with my Pioneer unit overall.
My sentiments exactly jhill!! Factory, factory, factory! Even under the panels where people can't see. I am an electrical engineering designer by trade and the attention to detail I have makes me OCD big time. I feel the same way.

Oh and you said secondary aux. Are you talking about the Aux 2 button thats greyed out on the nav screen? Cause I soooo want to utilize that. I have seen the 24 pin plug sold online for this radio which has a yellow RCA vid output. I wonder if thats what its for? As far as the bluetooth module; I reccommend NOT getting one even from a newer junker. As I may have mentioned; even the 2013 GT I own doesn't show the meta-data for ipods. You need a module that was manufactured in 2015. Since the last year the 2nd gen was 2013; nobody will have a new module with the latest profiles or chipset. Johnson controls still is making them and ordering a new one is the only way I found solves this. Make sure to get one for your model year though. The nav and bluetooth module work in conjunction with eachother and have different part numbers for the different model years of the 6. (2009-2010) and (2011-2013). Since the nav units use different features the bluetooth controls. Either way; it will still be a newly manufactured module and you will get the latest one available.

Take a look at Puska's thread on his comet gray Mazda 6. There we are discussing the autolock feauture. Its controlled by the BCM. If you are thinking about adding that feauture; I'd like to discuss how you may do it.

I applaud your dedication and level of detail to this degree on how you do your projects. Its definetly the way to go and a fantastic learning experience. Thanks for sharing with us!

·
Registered
273 Posts
My sentiments exactly jhill!! Factory, factory, factory! Even under the panels where people can't see. I am an electrical engineering designer by trade and the attention to detail I have makes me OCD big time. I feel the same way.

Oh and you said secondary aux. Are you talking about the Aux 2 button thats greyed out on the nav screen? Cause I soooo want to utilize that. I have seen the 24 pin plug sold online for this radio which has a yellow RCA vid output. I wonder if thats what its for? As far as the bluetooth module; I reccommend NOT getting one even from a newer junker. As I may have mentioned; even the 2013 GT I own doesn't show the meta-data for ipods. You need a module that was manufactured in 2015. Since the last year the 2nd gen was 2013; nobody will have a new module with the latest profiles or chipset. Johnson controls still is making them and ordering a new one is the only way I found solves this. Make sure to get one for your model year though. The nav and bluetooth module work in conjunction with eachother and have different part numbers for the different model years of the 6. (2009-2010) and (2011-2013). Since the nav units use different features the bluetooth controls. Either way; it will still be a newly manufactured module and you will get the latest one available.

Take a look at Puska's thread on his comet gray Mazda 6. There we are discussing the autolock feature. Its controlled by the BCM. If you are thinking about adding that feauture; I'd like to discuss how you may do it.

I applaud your dedication and level of detail to this degree on how you do your projects. Its definitely the way to go and a fantastic learning experience. Thanks for sharing with us!
NO, I was referring to the wiring differences for the AUX inputs between the standard Bose radio and the Bose display radio. On the Bose display radio, the AUX input is wired directly into head unit, whereas the non-display Bose and NAV units feed the AUX input daisy chained into the Bluetooth/Sirius wiring. I'd be curious to see this 24-pin harness with video that you referenced. :)

You bring up an interesting point with the Bluetooth modules however. I was shocked to see that I had no meta-data when streaming via Bluetooth from my Android phone to the NAV head unit. I am also unable to download my address book from my Android phone.

When I upgraded to the Bose display audio, I found that no meta-data was displayed on the screen and I got an error message when trying to download my phone's address book to the newer head unit. After installing a newer Bluetooth module from a Mazda3, meta-data began working properly and the phone book import worked.

Oddly, this same Bluetooth adapter doesn't work with the NAV radio: no meta-data and the phone book import fails. Swapping back to my original 09' Bluetooth module allows me to import the address book, but meta-data is still MIA. I even tried streaming music from my my Nexus 7 LTE, running stock Android 6.0.1, but still no meta-data.

That said, might you have access to the part numbers for the Bluetooth modules for the 2009-20010 and the 2011-2013 NAV units ?? I don't always trust the online parts listings, and I'd prefer to see the part number stickers from the units to compare to what I find in junkyards and online. My original factory installed Bluetooth adapter has a Mazda part# GS3L-66-DHXD. The newer module that works flawlessly with my Bose display audio unit is BBM5-66-DHXA

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
NO, I was referring to the wiring differences for the AUX inputs between the standard Bose radio and the Bose display radio. On the Bose display radio, the AUX input is wired directly into head unit, whereas the non-display Bose and NAV units feed the AUX input daisy chained into the Bluetooth/Sirius wiring. I'd be curious to see this 24-pin harness with video that you referenced. :)

You bring up an interesting point with the Bluetooth modules however. I was shocked to see that I had no meta-data when streaming via Bluetooth from my Android phone to the NAV head unit. I am also unable to download my address book from my Android phone.

When I upgraded to the Bose display audio, I found that no meta-data was displayed on the screen and I got an error message when trying to download my phone's address book to the newer head unit. After installing a newer Bluetooth module from a Mazda3, meta-data began working properly and the phone book import worked.

Oddly, this same Bluetooth adapter doesn't work with the NAV radio: no meta-data and the phone book import fails. Swapping back to my original 09' Bluetooth module allows me to import the address book, but meta-data is still MIA. I even tried streaming music from my my Nexus 7 LTE, running stock Android 6.0.1, but still no meta-data.

That said, might you have access to the part numbers for the Bluetooth modules for the 2009-20010 and the 2011-2013 NAV units ?? I don't always trust the online parts listings, and I'd prefer to see the part number stickers from the units to compare to what I find in junkyards and online. My original factory installed Bluetooth adapter has a Mazda part# GS3L-66-DHXD. The newer module that works flawlessly with my Bose display audio unit is BBM5-66-DHXA
I have the photo of the bluetooth module I took out of my 2010. The part number is the same as yours except for one letter. I don't have a picture of the 2013 module because its installed in my other car that isn't here right now; BUT I have the dealer sales ticket when I ordered it from the sales department.

Keep in mind; I do NOT know why there are two different part numbers for just the two different model runs, but as I may have eluded to earlier; it probably has to do with the way the module interfaces with each nav radio. As the navs are different and have different features. Such as the traffic alerts. The module for the 2013 is programmed to speak traffic commands at me when I am entering congestion or avoiding a jam. The 2010 module is not. Furthermore, there may be SUB-modules for the non-GT 6's. Ie, one for mini-bose, one for no display radio, no bose....which may be why your module is off by mine by a digit.

So if you order the part number I show pictured in the photo of the 2010 module; you will get one for that 2009 nav radio you have that will say a manufactured date of 2016. The part numbers stay the same, but the chip-sets inside have changed. That should work. At least it did with ME.

Also below is the 24-pin harness I was talking about. The video out is intended for a rearview monitor. Say....a CX9. But since the CX9 nav radio and the M6 radio nav are the same guts; this cable applies. It's just not an option on our cars for obvious reasons. Hence the greyed out Aux-2. But I think this cable is what utilizes it. As you can see in the last photo; we have availability for it in the system software menu.

Here's a link to the cable. (If that's allowed here.)
avc24 - Beat-Sonic Avc24 Female Av Rca Output Cable Harness For 2009-2010 Mazda 6 And 2008-2010 Mazda 5

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts

Well, I completed the last of the missing connections today and I can confirm that everything works like factory. The final two pins at the Bluetooth module and a connection to the factory microphone took care of the last of the quirks. Once I patched in the missing wires to the secondary microphone connector, I now have access to all the voice recognition features of the factory NAV. I also went ahead and installed the NAV specific iPod adapter and everything works great.

Sadly, the voice recognition doesn't recognize "ipod" as a source choice, but you can change discs, sources (AM/FM/satellite) as well as a BUNCH of other voice commands. Overall, it's a pretty cool system, even if it's a bit behind the times.

·
Registered
54 Posts
@jhill1977 that's awesome news, so happy you made it work - not that I doubt you :))

When you get a chance for write up and cost breakdown, so I can see if I can luck into some parts and have fun sooner or later :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
A quick update:

@jhill1977 that's awesome news, so happy you made it work - not that I doubt you :))

When you get a chance for write up and cost breakdown, so I can see if I can luck into some parts and have fun sooner or later :)

Overall it's a pretty easy project. For a vehicle already equipped with the standard Non-display Bose radio, it's only a matter of running 5 wires. (Vehicle speed sensor, parking brake, mic input and two feeds from the factory Bluetooth.

As I've mentioned before, the more you can get with the factory NAV unit the better. The Mazda GPS antenna and extension wire alone are over $200 if you buy them from Mazda. Thankfully, I was able to modify a $10 GPS antenna to serve duty. You'll also need to source two pins for the factory Bluetooth module. Mazda has used the same type Bluetooth for several years across its lineup, so a junkyard hunt SHOULD yield you the necessary harness. The NAV mic input is also the same connector as the 3.5mm AUX in connector. The two pins needed to be added to the main radio harness plug can be pulled from almost any recent Mazda harness from 2002 onwards.

I'm hoping to get the write-up started this weekend.

Justin

:grin2:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Overall it's a pretty easy project. For a vehicle already equipped with the standard Non-display Bose radio, it's only a matter of running 5 wires. (Vehicle speed sensor, parking brake, mic input and two feeds from the factory Bluetooth.

As I've mentioned before, the more you can get with the factory NAV unit the better. The Mazda GPS antenna and extension wire alone are over $200 if you buy them from Mazda. Thankfully, I was able to modify a $10 GPS antenna to serve duty. You'll also need to source two pins for the factory Bluetooth module. Mazda has used the same type Bluetooth for several years across its lineup, so a junkyard hunt SHOULD yield you the necessary harness. The NAV mic input is also the same connector as the 3.5mm AUX in connector. The two pins needed to be added to the main radio harness plug can be pulled from almost any recent Mazda harness from 2002 onwards.

I'm hoping to get the write-up started this weekend.

Justin

:grin2:
Fantastic work jhill. Since you are of the same mindset as me on the factory projects; have you had any time to investigate the aux 2 potential I proposed a while back? The plug we can get I posted? I'd love to take it one step further and actually USE that button for something. But I haven't had time to research it yet as my day job has me tied up. At the pace you are going; and the way you are with the factory projects, I have an odd feeling you may attempt it.

If you ever come across the 2011-2013 nav unit; I recommend to upgrade to it. The RDS and real-time traffic are a def plus. At least for me. And the fact it integrates the voice navigation guidance to re-route you when it knows traffic is slow up ahead has saved me more than a few times. You'll have to have a bluetooth module for a 2013, for the updated voice selections and questions, but its an easy swap.

One awesome thing about our second gens is that as they age; junkyards become better and better picking grounds. I found my first few years new; I was not finding any smashed up GT's anywhere. With a new car payment in tow; I certaintly wasn't going to pay the inflated prices at the stealership at the time. Thankfully the time has come now for a lot of us to be able to easily aquire the parts to actually DO these projects. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sadly, I wasn't able to get anywhere with the 2nd AUX in. I can only assume that the unit is using one of the other unused connectors, for which I don't have connectors for. I'm thinking about buying myself a used bench power supply unit, so I can play with the radio OUTSIDE of the car.

On a totally different subject, I was able to successfully backup my factory navigation disc to blank dual-layer DVD. As it was mentioned, the factory navigation radio offers minimal functionality without a disc inserted. I figure it's a good idea to have a backup disc around.

Also, I've found a cheap source for a brand new 2015/2016 NAV DVD for the 2nd GEN Mazda6. I bought the 2-disc set tonight, only cost me $109 shipped. The circa 2006/2007 maps that came on my NAV DVD are just painfully out-dated. I figure with the $$ I saved on the NAV unit, I can buy the newest disc and STILL BE ahead of the game. I'll report in when the disc arrives and I've had a chance to use it.

Justin

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Sadly, I wasn't able to get anywhere with the 2nd AUX in. I can only assume that the unit is using one of the other unused connectors, for which I don't have connectors for. I'm thinking about buying myself a used bench power supply unit, so I can play with the radio OUTSIDE of the car.

On a totally different subject, I was able to successfully backup my factory navigation disc to blank dual-layer DVD. As it was mentioned, the factory navigation radio offers minimal functionality without a disc inserted. I figure it's a good idea to have a backup disc around.

Also, I've found a cheap source for a brand new 2015/2016 NAV DVD for the 2nd GEN Mazda6. I bought the 2-disc set tonight, only cost me $109 shipped. The circa 2006/2007 maps that came on my NAV DVD are just painfully out-dated. I figure with the $$ I saved on the NAV unit, I can buy the newest disc and STILL BE ahead of the game. I'll report in when the disc arrives and I've had a chance to use it.

Justin
Justin that's awesome! I always found it ridiculous what Denso wants for the updated map discs. Can't wait to hear how that works out for you! :-D

Darn. I had hoped that one cable we discussed was the winner. Yeah I saw those other connectors on the back too; but came up empty on finding info on what they do. Only the manufacturer of the radio may know? (Radio sticker says was built in Malaysia, so good luck getting info on that one). I wish we knew which market got the aux 2 function? That would be a good start. But your idea of getting it on the test bench is a great idea. Looks like experimenting is the only way.

You're dedicated man. Very appreciative that you share your findings with the community.

How was the weather in your home town today? Mine kicked butt!! Perfect 72 and sunny. Safe to say the Mazda got some major pamper time today! Wash and wax and detail for over 9 hours. I swapped out the winter oem powder coated wheels with oem tires, to my summer oem chrome and continental extreme contact tires. Cause honestly the oem Michillen Piolots are kinda crap. And 6 years old they are getting up there. I had to install new liscense plate stickers anyway so used the opportunity to get wax behind the plate holders. :)

I was thinking about swapping out the oem yellow blinker bulbs with maybe a chromed bulb that glows yellow when lit? Or a clear bulb with yellow led inside to get rid of that yellow-lens look ya know? Any recommendations on a brand? I been reading up on the headlights archives but its always nice to know how "stock" I should really stay?

I asked Puska if he could get the BCM part number from his car. Apparently he can auto-roll down the front windows and sunroof AND have the autolock feauture? That would save a LOT of rewiring and altering stock if we could just swap out the BCM and reprogram it.

As far as saving some green on the the nav maps; you got a great deal on the unit. Even the $100 your dropping on the maps is STILL under what a nav unit alone on ebay is selling for. So yeah, you def got a great deal! I bought my 2014/2015 DVD to replace the 2009/2010 that came with the car. Denso recommends replacing the disc at a minimum of every two years. I was going to wait for 2017 and hand-me-down the 2015 disc to my girl for the other Mazda. Shes currently running 2011/2012.

Looking forward to seeing how it works for ya. :)

-David

·
Registered
273 Posts
Justin that's awesome! I always found it ridiculous what Denso wants for the updated map discs. Can't wait to hear how that works out for you! :-D

Darn. I had hoped that one cable we discussed was the winner. Yeah I saw those other connectors on the back too; but came up empty on finding info on what they do. Only the manufacturer of the radio may know? (Radio sticker says was built in Malaysia, so good luck getting info on that one). I wish we knew which market got the aux 2 function? That would be a good start. But your idea of getting it on the test bench is a great idea. Looks like experimenting is the only way.

You're dedicated man. Very appreciative that you share your findings with the community.

How was the weather in your home town today? Mine kicked butt!! Perfect 72 and sunny. Safe to say the Mazda got some major pamper time today! Wash and wax and detail for over 9 hours. I swapped out the winter oem powder coated wheels with oem tires, to my summer oem chrome and continental extreme contact tires. Cause honestly the oem Michillen Piolots are kinda crap. And 6 years old they are getting up there. I had to install new liscense plate stickers anyway so used the opportunity to get wax behind the plate holders. :)

I was thinking about swapping out the oem yellow blinker bulbs with maybe a chromed bulb that glows yellow when lit? Or a clear bulb with yellow led inside to get rid of that yellow-lens look ya know? Any recommendations on a brand? I been reading up on the headlights archives but its always nice to know how "stock" I should really stay?

I asked Puska if he could get the BCM part number from his car. Apparently he can auto-roll down the front windows and sunroof AND have the autolock feauture? That would save a LOT of rewiring and altering stock if we could just swap out the BCM and reprogram it.

As far as saving some green on the the nav maps; you got a great deal on the unit. Even the $100 your dropping on the maps is STILL under what a nav unit alone on ebay is selling for. So yeah, you def got a great deal! I bought my 2014/2015 DVD to replace the 2009/2010 that came with the car. Denso recommends replacing the disc at a minimum of every two years. I was going to wait for 2017 and hand-me-down the 2015 disc to my girl for the other Mazda. Shes currently running 2011/2012.

Looking forward to seeing how it works for ya. :)

-David
Well, much to my chagrin, the OEM NAV DVD's I ended up buying were poor quality burned copies. Funny thing, the vendor website looks totally legit and they were adamant that they were GENUINE. While the discs DO work, they are not OEM pressed discs, and certainly not worth the $109 asking price. I''ll be mailing them back to the vendor this week for a full refund. Honestly, at $109 I was expecting genuine discs. The Mazda-Denso website gets $199 for the new set. I DID make an ISO copy of both discs and I might just use those in lieu of the 2007 discs that came with my NAV unit.

As for your front blinkers, I did the chrome dipped bulbs for a while in my first 6, but upgraded to V3 Triton switch-back LEDs for my current ride. IMHO, the combo of the while LED parking lights and my LED fogs look pretty menacing. The Tritons are WELL worth the asking price, and coupled with my parking light/fog mod, it makes for a sleeper look.

Sadly, the weather here has been wicked rainy as of late. I guess the April showers missed the memo and have decided to shop up in May.

Justin

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Looks like we are stuck with the original Denso Discs then. It's good to save up the cashola and buy the oem's every few years. I have found that since the Loading software for the radio is also on those discs, there have been updates to them. My nav screen looks different in 2016 than it did in 2009 when the originals were made. Such as all highway roads changing color from outer roads to differentiate. The solid arrow now has a circle around it when it didn't before. Presumably to call out attention to your position. Always minor tweaks and quirks that didn't exist before. So every few years it's worth it.

I tried to snap a photo with my phone of the re-routing the nav was doing when I ran into heavy traffic; (don't do this)! So it's fuzzy, but I wanted to illustrate the big difference between the OEM nav from 2009-2010 and 2011-2013. Along with voice guidance asking me if i want to take a different route; at least I am notified that I'm about to be screwed in bumper to bumper traffic. When eBay shows one... BUY it and do the conversion. The face-plates are swap-able as they are identical. Just need the guts. And a new Bluetooth module.

I don't know what happened to Puska. I was looking forward to hearing about what BCM he had to allow him to auto-lock AND auto-roll down, but haven't heard a word since we discussed it. I may soon look into an auto-lock VSS module here in the next month. Not OEM, but it will finally be a fix to a very annoying issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks like we are stuck with the original Denso Discs then. It's good to save up the cashola and buy the oem's every few years. I have found that since the Loading software for the radio is also on those discs, there have been updates to them. My nav screen looks different in 2016 than it did in 2009 when the originals were made. Such as all highway roads changing color from outer roads to differentiate. The solid arrow now has a circle around it when it didn't before. Presumably to call out attention to your position. Always minor tweaks and quirks that didn't exist before. So every few years it's worth it.

I tried to snap a photo with my phone of the re-routing the nav was doing when I ran into heavy traffic; (don't do this)! So it's fuzzy, but I wanted to illustrate the big difference between the OEM nav from 2009-2010 and 2011-2013. Along with voice guidance asking me if i want to take a different route; at least I am notified that I'm about to be screwed in bumper to bumper traffic. When eBay shows one... BUY it and do the conversion. The face-plates are swap-able as they are identical. Just need the guts. And a new Bluetooth module.

I don't know what happened to Puska. I was looking forward to hearing about what BCM he had to allow him to auto-lock AND auto-roll down, but haven't heard a word since we discussed it. I may soon look into an auto-lock VSS module here in the next month. Not OEM, but it will finally be a fix to a very annoying issue.
Still owe you picture of it in transition from one job to another currently stuck doing them both so really lacking free time. But I didn't forget it and I still pop in from time to time when on breaks or late at night

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great write up!

Though I am curious...
Would it be possible to drop the Bose head unit into an 2011+ Mazda 6 without bose?

I'm not afraid to take on some wiring as long as it isn't an complete overhaul.

I know I'm missing the Bose amp, back up camera, the upgraded info display, and gps antenna. But I can do without those as long as I can retain the stock steering wheel controls, bluetooth, and radio functions in the interim.

I feel like this would have potential to be a HUGE addition to this write up, or at least a a new write up to those with non bose 6's.

Looking at the back of my head unit, it appears to have 3 identical plugs. The extras on the Bose + nav being for the backup camera, the gps antenna, and the rest i'm unsure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Great write up!

Though I am curious...
Would it be possible to drop the Bose head unit into an 2011+ Mazda 6 without Bose?

I'm not afraid to take on some wiring as long as it isn't an complete overhaul.

I know I'm missing the Bose amp, back up camera, the upgraded info display, and GPS antenna. But I can do without those as long as I can retain the stock steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, and radio functions in the interim.

I feel like this would have potential to be a HUGE addition to this write up, or at least a a new write up to those with non bose 6's.

Looking at the back of my head unit, it appears to have 3 identical plugs. The extras on the Bose + nav being for the backup camera, the gps antenna, and the rest i'm unsure.
I believe somewhere in this initial thread, jhill mentions that he replaced his radio a year ago WITH the mini Bose display. Then he upgraded to the navigation unit after that. So presumably I am thinking he had the Radio A unit non-Bose before all of this. Though I am not entirely sure. If so, HE would be of help to you as he had already done the initial conversion a while back.

As he mentions here, it sounds as if the auxiliary in the armrest console is daisy-chained into the Bluetooth module, but in the mini-Bose display it is direct-wired into the radio. Then in the nav unit it goes back to being daisy-chained. So if you upgrade, you might have to run new wiring to get your aux functionality back. I don't know why Mazda did it that way. Had I been engineering a car, and I had three radio options; I'd manufacture ONE harness that could serve triple duty and put them in ALL trim lines. One would think that would save costs. Then again, adding a bunch of wiring to a harness to cars without those features probably adds up over a million or so cars. Probably a cost saving measure in the long run.

I started off from the beginning with the nav radio, but bought a mini-display anyway to see how it looked in my car. I DO remember when I hooked it up, I lost aux functionality, so that holds in line with what we are saying here about the wiring.

Anywho.........lets see if jhill will chime in and can help you. :)

21 - 40 of 55 Posts