Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, leaving school today, I was sitting behind my friends tuned WRX STI. I couldn't even hear my engine revving over its idling. Now I don't want something that loud, but I want a growl.

So far, all I know that lets me do that is a

CAI
SRI
Exhaust mods

Is there anything else? The SRI sucks in warm air, so it'll kill power, and I don't want that.

I'm horrible with depth perception so theres a huge chance of hydrolock with my CAI due to me misjugding the waters height.

Exhaust is a little costly, and the speed 6 exhausts don't come off easily.

so is there anything else?

·
Registered
347 Posts
i put an aem ari intake on and i noticed an increase in throttle respons, and def a louder tone around high rpms. i havent really noticed heat soak or any power loss with the sri. I also have the tanabe concept g medalion axleback mufflers. bought them off of the rpmstore.com fro 500 . i love them gives me the growl ur looking for. there s av id in the engine section that shows them. but exhuast has overpowerd the intake so if ur just for osund intake isnt necesary.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i put an aem ari intake on and i noticed an increase in throttle respons, and def a louder tone around high rpms. i havent really noticed heat soak or any power loss with the sri. I also have the tanabe concept g medalion axleback mufflers. bought them off of the rpmstore.com fro 500 . i love them gives me the growl ur looking for. there s av id in the engine section that shows them. but exhuast has overpowerd the intake so if ur just for osund intake isnt necesary.[/b]
I would like power and reliability. Although the order priority wise is Sound-Power-Reliability, with reliability almost tying with power. Do you have a speed6?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well being that you have a speed6, I would recommend a CAI, getting this will get you nicer sound and you will hear the turbo more especially with the CPE intake. Exhaust is definitly for sound also, not so much on performance. I'm sure other speed6's will fill you in on different exhaust brands.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well being that you have a speed6, I would recommend a CAI, getting this will get you nicer sound and you will hear the turbo more especially with the CPE intake. Exhaust is definitly for sound also, not so much on performance. I'm sure other speed6's will fill you in on different exhaust brands.[/b]
So far, I've heard magnaflow's and CP-e's. The cp-e's don't have much growl, the magnaflows, barely any. I want a growl...

God I sound like a ricer...

·
Registered
347 Posts
i no how u feel i felt the same way, i have the 2005 6i. trust me everyoen ive takled to about myexhaust says it sounds really good not ricerish at all.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What do you mean by growl? If you want that lumpy exhaust note of the STI then I am sorry to say you will never acheive it. Their exhaust note is quite unique because of their engines horizontally opposed piston design. If you want pure volume then the CP-E is the way to go. With just the resonator on it can be quite loud. I would not even suggest the Magnaflow. If you still want something different you would probably do well to head down to your local exhaust shop and chat with the people there. They should be able to point you in the right direction as to which muffler or resonator will give you the sound you are looking for.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you mean by growl? If you want that lumpy exhaust note of the STI then I am sorry to say you will never acheive it. Their exhaust note is quite unique because of their engines horizontally opposed piston design. If you want pure volume then the CP-E is the way to go. With just the resonator on it can be quite loud. I would not even suggest the Magnaflow. If you still want something different you would probably do well to head down to your local exhaust shop and chat with the people there. They should be able to point you in the right direction as to which muffler or resonator will give you the sound you are looking for.[/b]
Interesting...I don't think that there are any exhaust shops around here locally.

I hate the stock STI's engine sound.

I loved that tuned sound...

:laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Just drill a hole in your exhaust pipe and call it a day.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exhaust
What do you guys think about this one? Will it fit the speed6? And how much custom fabbing is needed for this install?

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Just drill a hole in your exhaust pipe and call it a day.[/b]
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I like your thinkin' :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts