Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts
I'd rather drive normal and fill up more often. Fuel is cheap your side of the pond anyway
Lol, for now, and depending on where you go. CA is like $5 - 6 USD/gallon, but it's gone up over $1/gal in just a few short months everywhere.....but that's all I'll say about that :)

Discussion starter · #23 · (Edited)
Hmmm... I'd say get a newer 6. Average fuel consumption since May on mine sits at 43MPG mixed driving without trying. Had 63MPH on a run before.
Wow that's really efficient. But cost of buying, registering and insurance will be much more than fuel savings I am sure. My neighbor has a Nissan Leaf electric car and pays $600 in annual tab renewal fee while I pay $91 :) $509 difference in tab fee means you need to drive ~3000 miles/year to break even. If we consider the car payments and insurance the break even miles would be even higher. Since the leaf is range limited I doubt he even drives 3000 miles/year. He paid $16K for it. I feel it's a really bad investment. I used to have 1994 Honda Civic that died at 220K miles in 2006. I really should have fixed it myself but I donated it as I didn't have the time to spend on it. It used to give 30 mpg in mixed driving but my 2004 6s is more comfortable and fun to drive.

Drive, Manual and Neutral
Youre gonna hurt your mpg cause the motor and trans are learning and youll confuse them doing that.

my 2004 6s is more comfortable and fun to drive.
All Mazdas are more fun to drive ;)

And I feel you there though - used car prices are through the roof while brand new ones are rusting out at factories by the millions because of the chip issues (among other things). But again, I'll leave it at that :D

Best I can offer is to start saving up for a used 3rd generation. I consistently get 35mpg with it and my high was something like 42. AND the car is still comfortable and super fun to drive. I believe you can get one around 100k miles for $10k. These engines/transmissions are proving to be some of the most reliable ever, so 100k miles is nothing.

Hmmm... I'd say get a newer 6. Average fuel consumption since May on mine sits at 43MPG mixed driving without trying. Had 63MPH on a run before.
I feel that you are perhaps intentionally forgetting the following critical pieces of information:
1. That is actually UK MPG, which is only 35.8 MPG in the terms the rest of us are using
2. Your car has the 2.0l, which isn't even sold where OP lives

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Youre gonna hurt your mpg cause the motor and trans are learning and youll confuse them doing that.
May be but I will know in a few days. So far I am at 70 miles and the fuel gauge is still a bit above 3/4th mark. If I hit 80+ miles at 3/4th then it might be better than 18.9 mpg that I got with my last tank.

Discussion starter · #29 · (Edited)
I feel that you are perhaps intentionally forgetting the following critical pieces of information:
1. That is actually UK MPG, which is only 35.8 MPG in the terms the rest of us are using
Yes, the UK gallon is more than US gallon. One of the thrills of driving 1st gen V6 is when you accelerate past 3000 RPM :) It feels like the engine wakes up and the car really moves. That's some big fun to trade-off.

What an absolute stupid comment to come out with. I didn't actually realise there was a difference between UK and US MPG. I'm used to working in KM/L where I'm from.

Talking about critical information.. Where did you read my car is a 2.0l. Get your facts right!

Try and post a bit more respectful message instead of coming over like a complete and utter bell-end!

What an absolute stupid comment to come out with. I didn't actually realise there was a difference between UK and US MPG. I'm used to working in KM/L where I'm from.

Talking about critical information.. Where did you read my car is a 2.0l. Get your facts right!

Try and post a bit more respectful message instead of coming over like a complete and utter bell-end!
Pardon me for not reading close enough. Let me rephrase that to "2. Your car has the diesel, which isn't even sold where OP lives"

Is that better?

though V6 will have more passing power on the highway.
Ill put my 3 against you any day to prove that wrong. The 2.5l is an amazing motor and i miss my hatchback, but it was a slug.

Yes, i kind of did this as an experiment by driving back roads from my friends house to mine, around 60 miles, but i had to turn around at the 20 mark to get my pillow lol. So over around 150 miles i got this. I always reset my ODO and the Current resets with it. With the AC on.

Payment card Gadget Audio equipment Font Electronic instrument

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Ill put my 3 against you any day to prove that wrong. The 2.5l is an amazing motor and i miss my hatchback, but it was a slug.
Well 2.5L in a lighter car can be faster than 3.0L in a heavier car. But my comment is about 2.2 turbo diesel vs 3.0 gasoline V6. V6 has a broader power band that extends into higher RPMs where diesel would feel slower.

Yes, i kind of did this as an experiment by driving back roads from my friends house to mine, around 60 miles, but i had to turn around at the 20 mark to get my pillow lol. So over around 150 miles i got this. I always reset my ODO and the Current resets with it. With the AC on.
You’d try a diesel. They come with pillows as standard equipment. 😂 Misses has an i40 so mine feels pretty nippy..

I came from a petrol turbo and anything seems a bit slow now

Well 2.5L in a lighter car can be faster than 3.0L in a heavier car. But my comment is about 2.2 turbo diesel vs 3.0 gasoline V6. V6 has a broader power band that extends into higher RPMs where diesel would feel slower.
Bingo - He's got (depending on his model) between 300 and 600 fewer pounds to tote around, plus a MUCH more refined engine with 15 years of better technology in it - can't be too hard on the V6 since it definitely performed well for its time/cost.

Discussion starter · #40 · (Edited)
Well I hit my goal of exceeding 80 miles before 3/4th mark is reached on the fuel gauge. It would probably go to 85 miles. So anticipating stops and using engine braking to slow down, timing stop lights to avoid stopping and turning off ignition at stops greater than 30 seconds seems to be working! With practice I might be able to improve gas mileage by 10% and get 21 instead of 19 mpg!!

Attachments

21 - 40 of 74 Posts