Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see people posting that they get 36+ mpg regularly, I am constantly at 31~ and do 60%hwy 40 city. Is there a secret? Is it better to quickly get up to speed limit and then lightly use the pedal? I typically shift at 1750 rpm, well the auto box does, and I feel like I'm taking off extremely slow. I usually cruise around 60-70 on the highway. Is it just the cold air? Or possibly it's more hilly here than where others are posting from

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
^^ What he said, to a point - we don't need to be turning our engines off on downhills or at stop lights or whatnot.

I very lightly press the throttle even when getting on highways. You'll get up to speed a little slower,, but you'll get there. Let off the gas as often as possible, let the car coast, it's made to do that.

We have one of the lowest coefficients of drag on the market, the car can cut through the wind with ease, so let it. Gather speed on downhills or flats just before heading up a hill - you'll waste less gas if you're going faster when the hill starts and slowly let it go back to normal by the top.

The key is: BE PATIENT. You'll get where you're going, you'll get up to the speed that you want, and you'll get to your destination, so just take your time and enjoy the ride :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
This car is extreamly sensitive to highway crusing speeds, more so than any car i've owned in the past. MPG tanks if you exceed 70mph...80mph highway drives nets under 30mpg for me. keep it 60-65mph if you have the patience, and you'll get excellent mpg.

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
This car is extreamly sensitive to highway crusing speeds, more so than any car i've owned in the past. MPG tanks if you exceed 70mph...80mph highway drives nets under 30mpg for me. keep it 60-65mph if you have the patience, and you'll get excellent mpg.
Very true - When I was commuting a ton, I got my absolute best MPGs specifically when I was going 62 steady. (Yes I was THAT guy) :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is it just the cold air?
Cold can have a major effect on fuel mileage. Especially if you're in an area that uses reformulated gasoline in winter months. My old Mazda3 would get about 30mpg average in summer months and tank to 26mpg in winter, with no change in driving habits.

I got my 6 in December and I've been averaging 30mpg in this pretty nasty Wisconsin winter. I'm fully expecting to get nearer 35mpg in summer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
So the cold and driving like a maniac is my issue lol, I just can't help but drive in the left lane... I have to be faster than everyone else I don't know why... Need to retrain my brain

Driving below 70 MPH is the key. In my state the speed limit is 65 with a stretch of 55 MPH highway on I95. So I keep it to the speed limit, and I get excellent gas mileage. Albiet I get passed, I retrained myself not to feel I need to be the quickest car on the road.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Get a slippery syn oil...Mazda Moly 0W20 (or add MoS2 to your favorite syn oil). Check also your tire pressures often for optimal rolling resistance.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Don't keep heavy things in your trunk. Extra weight affects mileage also. If your city driving involves a lot of short trips, that really affects mileage as well. Agreed with the 60 to 65mph. Mileage goes downhill after that big time.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I see people posting that they get 36+ mpg regularly, I am constantly at 31~ and do 60%hwy 40 city. Is there a secret? Is it better to quickly get up to speed limit and then lightly use the pedal? I typically shift at 1750 rpm, well the auto box does, and I feel like I'm taking off extremely slow. I usually cruise around 60-70 on the highway. Is it just the cold air? Or possibly it's more hilly here than where others are posting from

Is that 31mpg combined 60/40 fwy/city mileage? 60/40...but how is traffic flow? Aldo, cold air is dense btw. Add the winterblend gas factor too...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that 31mpg combined 60/40 fwy/city mileage? 60/40...but how is traffic flow? Aldo, cold air is dense btw. Add the winterblend gas factor too...

Yes combined, it changes up or down 2. There is quite a few red lights during my city driving(job). Typically I do 11 freeway miles to school with one red light four days a week with 6 miles to work with at least eight red lights. Traffic flow is usually fairly heavy. Usually hit at least six red lights these figures are one way, repeat for home lol

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
True hypermiling gets a little too intense and can become hazardous. However, some of the concepts still apply. If you can master the pulse and glide technique in certain situations, you may improve efficiency. Anticipate traffic situations, coast as much as possible, etc. One thing most drivers like to do is to stop abruptly at, say, a stop sign, as opposed to begin coasting very early, and allowing your momentum to carry you to your stop.

When my wife drives our CX-5, her driving style noticeably hurts efficiency/mileage. She has a very average driving habit - simply relies on the effectiveness of mechanical design to achieve good mileage, as opposed to improving her habits/characteristics. I can get behind the wheel, restore 10-15% efficiency, and still get to destinations in the same amount of time, just by altering technique, like the ones I mentioned above.

Either way, hypermiling is still interesting and deserves some research, even as just a concept. This, all assuming your 6 is in good or excellent mechanical condition (and it should be).

Reactions: ZackDickey

·
Registered
369 Posts

Two words "Tire Pressure" with the cold weather your tire pressure can easily drop by 6 psi. Which can effect your mileage greatly.

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't think ours do. As we have the indirect ones. My son has a Dodge Dart with the direct pressure indication and it is way more sensitive, it has gone off many times this winter while my Mazda was happy with low pressure. It basically compares the wheels to each other instead of each individual wheel.

Tire-pressure monitoring system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting, I have mine filled with nitrogen, that's supposed to be less sensitive to cold no?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Interesting, I have mine filled with nitrogen, that's supposed to be less sensitive to cold no?

Correct, but in the cold rubber gets harder and doesn't seal as well around the rim, specially with Alloy wheels. One of the cars I owned, a 1984 Dodge Conquest was notorious for loosing air in cold weather.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Last month my mpg dropped to 26 where I used to always get between 31-32 with 60 city/ 40 hwy. Culprit was the tire pressure at 32psi due to the extreme cold. I filled it to 38 psi which is 2 more than recommended to compensate for the cold and I am back to 31 mpg. I should mention I do have a light foot, avoid abrupt starts/stops and do not go over 65 mph on the little freeway commute I have.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts