Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im going to upgrade my stero system soon and i dont wanna take up my whole trucnk with a sub box. i was thinkin of the basslink, does anyone know if that sounds good? or does anyone have any suggestions

thanks, matt

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: How to get good bass

I stopped by an audio shop today to discuss subwoofer options along with other details about upgrading the audio system. Here's what we came up with talking to one of the guys that worked there...

Sealed enclosure will take up the least space, go with something that requires a smaller volume (I like the kicker solobaric L-series). That being said there are three possible locations to save space:

a) one obvious spot is the spare wheel well...ditch the spare and go with a custom enclosure. Can do it with MDF (i think Stretch did?) or fiberglass if you got the cash.
B) my thought was a long enclosure bolted to the underside of the rear deck. you could utilize the existing 8" cutout though the shop was willing to cut the metal for 1 or 2 10" subs if I wanted. Basically, you can minimize how low the enclosure extends (sub mounting depth limited) by utilizing the full lenght of the rear deck (~38"). Again, MDF will work fine or fiberglass if you got the dough.
c) the shop tech had a great idea. If you look to the right side of the trunk back near right rear taillight, there is a sort of cubby. This would work great for a 10" sub (maybe 12"?) and would give you plenty of volume. You could make the enclosure flush with the right side of the trunk further back (pop your trunk and you'll see what I mean). This is a fiberglass only option (for free-form) so it would be expensive.

·
Registered
541 Posts

My firend has the basslink and he really likes it. It's fairly small and puts out pretty good sound. You can get them on Ebay for around $250.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

i saw a basslink on ebay for 185$.. do you think i could find some place to stuff it besides the trunk?

·
Registered
19 Posts

The basslinks are OK, I have installed probably 5. Depending on how much extra bass you want makes all the difference, Its not enough for me, but it might be fine for others. Also you could get some truck boxs that are thin and push them up against the back wall. They don't take up much space.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

I spoke w/ an audio installer and he qouted about $400-500 to have a fiberglass enclosure made for the right side of the trunk. Thats not bad considering it'll cost you $150 for a decent enclosure.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

That's a pretty good price. They told me $200-300 for a MDF box under the rear dash, but about $600 for a fiberglass enclosure in the right side of the trunk. I should shop around for some more quotes to see if I can get a price closer to what you got.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

That price was at a local Tweeter store not even a real audio shop. They helped me install my last system because of space requirements. A local shop woulnd't quote me a price but I got a quote for CATZ ZETA Hids installed for $600.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

You have Tweeter stores up your way? No sh*t! Small world. That's one place I was considering going to besides the shop I got my quote from. And there's one more car audio shop nearby. The place I got a quote from does tinting, detailing, and other performance upgrades so maybe they charge more for car audio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts