Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everyone, here it is. If you ordered the foglight button from Rosenthal Mazda Back in January, you probably know it glows Green when lit up. Well, here's how to make it glow orange like the rest of the buttons in the switch location.

Tools Needed:

Sandpaper
Small Flathead Screwdriver
Red Paint
Small Brush
Patience

Step One:

With the switch facing to the right, green side facing up. Behind the front of the switch you will see a small notch cut out. Get a small flathead screwdriver and pry the face of the switch up and it should pop off. You will then be able to see how it clips back together.

Step Two:

Turn the face of the switch over to where you see the dark green backing. Now I taped a small peice of my sandpaper to the tip of my flathead, this method seemed to work really well.

Lightly start sanding some of the green away. I had to use my screwdriver tip without sandpaper first because on the backside of mine there was a clear sticky residue I scraped out of the way first. Start sanding away little by little, very gently and you should start seeing some of the green going away. Hold it to a light and look from the front to see your progress. It's okay to leave some green there, the red light behind shoulkd cancel it out.

I actually sanded a little too much off in some areas so I used a fine tip black sharpie to color those areas back in from behind.

Step Three:

Now take your small flathead again, and you should see a black circle in the upper right of the green board. That is your LED. Twist counter-clockwise to release it.

Now your going to take your red paint and I applied one light coat over the LED. This should give off a nice orange glow, allowing the light to still shine through.

Step Four:

Put everything back together and you should be good to go. Hope this helps, and thanks again to FICHSTIX and Bigbaddad for the help with this issue. Enjoy everyone!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Wow.... great job.... so any pics of the outcome?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet

Still working on the harness, I have a relay here with mystery pins, so I need to figure out how to tell what # the pins on it are, in able to finish :(

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
lol... bumpity.... waiting for the output pics...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm working on wiring the factory non-sport fogs with this switch and a separate relay I had laying around for DJlethal6. I'll post everything when I get done. Axion, post a pic and I will tell you what they are, I hope. If it is just a standard relay, the post numbers, 30, 86, 85, 87, 87a should be on the bottom next to each post.

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Okay everyone, here it is. If you ordered the foglight button from Rosenthal Mazda Back in January, you probably know it glows Green when lit up. Well, here's how to make it glow orange like the rest of the buttons in the switch location.
Put everything back together and you should be good to go. Hope this helps, and thanks again to FICHSTIX and Bigbaddad for the help with this issue. Enjoy everyone!
[/b]
GREAT write up! You have much much more patients than I have to take and load all of those pics! I just ordered my lower sport fogs and will be doing to panel switch mod but want to wait and see if I need the harness as well as the switch before I order.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm working on wiring the factory non-sport fogs with this switch and a separate relay I had laying around for DJlethal6. I'll post everything when I get done. Axion, post a pic and I will tell you what they are, I hope. If it is just a standard relay, the post numbers, 30, 86, 85, 87, 87a should be on the bottom next to each post.

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp
[/b]

This is the relay that came with the non-sport factory fog harness. I know 85 and 86 are power and ground, so im just going to go by the way the harness was already setup. Using the pins they used for power and ground SHOULD be 85 and 86. As far as the other 2 go, 30 and 87 shouldnt matter as long as ones hooked to the fogs, and ones to the switch. That info came from FICHSTIX who I trust so we'll see :D

Im still trying to find time to start working on the harness itself, and I need to get my fog housings re-painted as well before I go and do the actual install.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an FYI guys, I hooked up the switch today to test (i have some wiring wrong somewhere i found out) and I learned that I sanded TOO much green off, even my black sharpie didnt really help that much. So, just some advice sand very very lightly :) Now I have to buy another switch :p

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Just an FYI guys, I hooked up the switch today to test (i have some wiring wrong somewhere i found out) and I learned that I sanded TOO much green off, even my black sharpie didnt really help that much. So, just some advice sand very very lightly :) Now I have to buy another switch :p
[/b]
eh?? what do u mean u sanded too much??? what;s the outcome of sanding it too much??

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
light shines through more than just the little logo on the front. through any little scratch you made too deep, etc etc
[/b]
cant u just repaint it in black instead of getting a new switch???? like mask the areas and paint it in black

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Do you think my volcanic touch up would suit for "red" paint?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
ZoomZoom Diva
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing