Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The information display on our 6 never worked right since we bought the car in 2010. I decided to tinker with it to see if I could fix it, in 2011 i took it apart, reflowed the chip with a heat gun, and it worked for two days, then it started acting up again. In march, I decided to try it again, this time resoldering, and the display has been working fine ever since. I didn't document every step, but I took a lot of pictures. I wrote this in case someone else is going to take it apart, it might help them. I apologize in advance for grammar mistakes, or any rule I broke in the forum. I wrote this in a hurry, and didn't revise it. More pictures here http://imageshack.us/g/1/10136239/

Before:
After:

What I used:
Soldering iron
Beveled Soldering Tip
Desoldering pump
Flux
Tweezers
Solder

1. Remove the map compartment from the dash. *Remove the connector behind the display.
2. Remove the display from the map compartment by pressing on the tabs and pushing them.
3. Unscrew the four screws that hold the display case. *Two on top, two on the back
4. Remove the front part of the case by pulling it apart being careful not to break the tabs.
5. Remove the back part of the case by lifting the tabs and “prying” it off with your fingers.

6. Desolder the three metal legs that hold the metal frame in place and remove the frame. A red polarizer filter will fall out. Set that aside.
7. Put flux over the screen segment pins, use the desoldering pump to remove the solder from each one of the pins.

8. After you remove the solder from the pins, to remove the pins from the through hole grab the pin with the tweezers and at the same time heat the pin with the soldering iron and pull the pin off the hole

9. Remove the screen and the plastic support. Set it aside; be careful not to break the screen.

10. The part I had the most difficulty with was removing the backlight board. You can desolder the top pins or you can desolder the bottom pins. I had to do a combination of both; I also “pried” off while heating the solder joints.

11. This is what causes the problem, the solder joints on the lcd controller chip becomes “loose” over time. You’ll have to remove the glue around chip. I used an X-Acto knife to remove the adhesive, just be patient and persistent.

12. Once the adhesive is off, you can resolder the chip. I tried doing a reflow and it didn’t work. To resolder the chip: put a lot of flux on the chip legs. Use the beveled tip on the soldering iron. Drag the tip of the iron with solder on the legs of chip. Make sure there are no bridges on the chip, if there are, put more flux and drag the tip of the soldering iron on the chip until there’s no bridge.

Notes:
There's an excellent write up written by bziko98 here:http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical-lighting-audio/256494-fixing-faded-display-6.html
On his write up you don't have to desolder all the pins of the lcd, much safer on the pcb.

Datasheet for the LCD Controller can be found here: http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/1150/455239_DS.pdf

On the PCB there are four empty places to solder switch buttons, I soldered a switch into each one, but there is no new function.
It only repeats what the main buttons do, ex. Dim, Set clock, Ambient temp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am glad I just found this, as I was about to ask if this was a common issue and if so, is there a fix.

Problem is, I do not think I am going to try this, but I might see if an electronic repair place would be willing to on the cheap, as these sell on eBay for $150 to $180.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone with experience repairing electronics should be able to do this fairly easily. If you remove the display from the dash yourself they'll charge way less, it's not that hard, and there is a writeup somewhere here

·
Registered
3 Posts
LCD Display Resistor Number

I accidentally took off two of the resistors near the bottom right of the square chip that we're supposed to refloat. Does anyone know the number on these two resistors, labeled R827 and R829 on the board so I can get replacements? I tried looking for diagrams and images only but can't figure it out. Any help would definitely be very much appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts