Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here is a great way to test for boost leaks. Very simple, and only costs about 14 bucks, plus it's a tool you can use forever.

So here are the parts you'll need, you can pick them up at your local hardware store in the plumbing department:

You need a 3in to 2in rubber coupler w/ hose clamps. My intake pipe is actually more like 2.75in, but this piece will clamp down sufficiently to seal. You'll also need a 2in pvc pipe plug, this should fit perfectly into the coupler. You'll need like 4ft of 1/4 plastic tube. Lastly, you'll need a threaded 1/4in barb fitting and a 1/4in nut, all still found in the same plumbing section with the brass fittings etc.

Drill out the PVC plug and put the barb threaded end through, and secure with the nut on the other end. I covered all the threads with JBWeld just to be sure it would seal sufficiently.

Put the plug in the 2in end of the coupler.

Hook one end of the 1/4in tubing to the barb, and the other end up to a compressor hose.

Put the other end of coupler onto your intake inlet pipe.

Pressurize the system and listen for leaks.

You can mix up some soap and water if you really need to and smear it around looking for bubbles, but i found it was sufficient to just feel around with my fingers. You can literally feel the air blowing out of the hole if there is one. And DON'T just susupect the couplers, cause it could be a weld, like in my case!

Look at the lil hole in the weld:

It was very surprising how much air flowed out of this dinky hole. I would pressurize the system, and this lil hole would bleed it all off in only a couple seconds.

I'm really trying not to rant in this post, just wanted a "how to", but i had to wait 10 days just for my throttle body coupler while my car was in pieces cause it wasn't shipped with kit ('06s don't need the TB coupler, only '07s, but it was news to me). Then this whole ordeal. Money wasted on a dyno session with depressing results. One night of binge drinking to deal with the depression. And now the leak is in a WELD not a coupler so there is no way i can fix it. Monday i'll be calling cp-e to see what is up. I thought these cores were pressure tested, but guess mine was the exception.

SIGH, MORE TIME WITH MY CAR IN PIECES....

[/rant]

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could also put a bandaid over my butt hole, but it's not gonna keep me from shitting. LOL. I shouldn't have to jbweld a 1000 dollar intercooler man. I'll get it tig welded by a buddy in a few days.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
honestly, i'm not sure. I'll prob at least call em and tell them about the situation, and maybe give them a few pointers on the mishaps i've had, but i doubt they'll do much for me. When i needed that coupler, i figured they would've sent it over night, but they just sent it ground, and it took a full week to get. full week of having bumper in my living room and parts all over the garage. We'll see, i'm sure they'd appreciate the heads up though.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is like daytime tv for gearheads! Glad you found it!
Next week on Speed6 moddin' "Will fixing the boostleak get DJ 300awhp?"

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is a great writeup, I vote sticky!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (fhaze @ Nov 2 2008, 05:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1469460
This is like daytime tv for gearheads! Glad you found it!
Next week on Speed6 moddin' "Will fixing the boostleak get DJ 300awhp?"[/b]
:laugh: Hahahahahaha, i'd prob have to find/fix a million boost leaks to get there man. Exhaust comes next, and that will prob get me close.

QUOTE (MS6Mike @ Nov 2 2008, 08:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1469481
This is a great writeup, I vote sticky![/b]
Hope it turned out alright. I actually had to "re-shoot" all the pictures cause my gf's camera mysteriously deleted the first ones (it doesn't always get along with our mac). Regardless i think it's straight forward enought to do, and i was amazed when, indeed, i could hear a leak.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ya, this is awesome! Thanks for the write up! I'll use it! And if anyone has read my posts you'll see I need all the help I can get!
Moron + Problematic MS6 = Justin with a plausible case of depression! YA! :D

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (Jus10 @ Nov 2 2008, 05:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1469682
Ya, this is awesome! Thanks for the write up! I'll use it! And if anyone has read my posts you'll see I need all the help I can get!
Moron + Problematic MS6 = Justin with a plausible case of depression! YA! :D[/b]
:laugh: HAHAHAHA, i seriously hope it helps you man. I'm getting depressed knowing how depressed you must be. Gotta get your car fixed man.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
at least you changed your avatar.. that was getting me depressed.

·
Registered
875 Posts
So the air just stops at the intake manifold correct? So it should stay the at psi you put in until you release it or if it's leaking? I need to find a air compressor and try this when I'm REALLY bored. I have a corksport one that I SWEAR I HEAR A LEAK!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (ktan91 @ Nov 2 2008, 09:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1469779
So the air just stops at the intake manifold correct? So it should stay the at psi you put in until you release it or if it's leaking? I need to find a air compressor and try this when I'm REALLY bored. I have a corksport one that I SWEAR I HEAR A LEAK![/b]
Prob actually pressurizes the cylinders a bit too, but it'll hold the pressure for sure unless there is a leak. My hole, as small as it was, would bleed off the 15/20 psi in just a few seconds. This test is SO easy, and so worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks for this! It was well needed. Sticky icky ickyy

Just to make sure I get this right.... Your clamping the boost tester coupler to the cai where the filter goes right ?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE (Baseballd2 @ Nov 3 2008, 03:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1470260
Thanks for this! It was well needed. Sticky icky ickyy

Just to make sure I get this right.... Your clamping the boost tester coupler to the cai where the filter goes right ?[/b]
exactimundo.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts