Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will begin this by saying that this is a simple mod for anyone with a little bit of mechanical skills....

The first step and largest portion of this mod is the removal of the front bumper and headlight assemblies. I will not repost this info as there are several good post regarding this. Please take the time to read one of these posts before attempting this mod.

We will begin with the driver's side. In the following picture you are looking at the headlight plug from the front of the car. The green/orange wire located on the top right socket is the turn signal hot. You will be taping into this wire.

The images were kept small to keep size down please view them in my members gallery

This is the pin location from the front side of the plug. The turn signal positive lead is located in the same place for both the driver and passenger side. The only change will be the wire color. For the driver side it is green/orange, for the passenger it is green/white. This has been duplicated on 2 different models with the same wire colors.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replying to Topic 'How To Convert Side Markers To Turn Signal'

Now that we have located the "hot" lead, we will move to the removal of the ground terminal located on the side marker plug. The ground terminal is black/white for both sides. The green wire is the parking lamp feed.

First begin by unplugging the bulb holder and look at the face of the plug, as seen in the next pic. Use a pick to release the ground pin from the plug. Pry on the locking tab inside the plug and pull the terminal out from the rear.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Now we will splice into the turn signal lead on the headlight plug, once again it is green/orange for driver side and green/white for passenger. I have used a blue wire for the write-up. I recommend soldering this connection, however you may choose to use electrical tape to hold the connection in place.

After making this connection, run the turn feed down to the side marker plug. Strip and insert the turn feed into the ground pin location which you have already removed. I recommend taping the wires together in order to keep the feed from pulling out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Now, reinstall the bulb holder into the plug. Reverse the removal of the headlight housing and bumper. Once complete the side marker will serve the following purpose:

Parking lights on - side marker on
Turn signal flashing with parking lights off - side marker will flash in unison
Parking lights on and turn signal flashing - side marker will flash opposite of turn sig.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Reading Topic: How To Convert Side Markers To Turn Signal

Sticky-status! Good job!

·
Registered
255 Posts

These directions are easy and correct. A very thin needle nose pliers will also work. I also recommend going to your local hardware store/walmart and picking up a package of wire splices..so you are sure that connection doesn't come loose. It's only $1.87 for a pack of 10 at walmart, at least that's what I paid. You can use the extras to to the tail light mod =)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I actually do not recommend using the line splices, these things are known to fail. Removing the bumper and headlight assembly isn’t something you want to have to do for a wire tap. I recommend soldering all electrical connections, less resistance, and guaranteed not to break. But as I stated, this is my recommendation, Burger Kings says it best with "Have it your way".....

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

I shall be attempting this wednesday, hope all goes well :)

·
Registered
698 Posts

I would do this but I don't want to remove the bumper. I am sure if i take it off i won't be able to get it back on. :)

·
Registered
758 Posts

Originally posted by nautec

I would do this but I don't want to remove the bumper.  I am sure if i take it off i won't be able to get it back on. :)
Hey y'all,

I did the mod a while ago. VERY SWEET! It was something I've always wanted to do ever since I realized our side markers don't blink.

But just tonight, I noticed that my side markers don't turn on! They still blink and work when my headlights are off, but if I turn on the parking lights/headlights, they stay off. Can it be that something short circuited? Or maybe the ground connection is loose? If so, shouldn't they stay off permanently?

·
Registered
3,671 Posts

Originally posted by Mazda_Gremlyn

I shall be attempting this wednesday, hope all goes well :)

Has anyone brought it to your attention that Gizmo is not a Gremlin? Gizmo is a Mogwai. Gremlins aren't furry.

:)

·
Registered
758 Posts

Anyone?

·
Registered
758 Posts

Originally posted by otaking71

goofy..you removed the wrong wire on your sidemarker.
I'm sure I didn't, because I did the mod and it worked GREAT for a while....

·
Registered
758 Posts

nope, that's it... last mod, besides me painting the stock grill moustache black. :)

it's odd how it lights up (blinks), just not if the parking lights/headlights are turned on...

·
Registered
255 Posts

Originally posted by GoofyG28

nope, that's it... last mod, besides me painting the stock grill moustache black. :)

it's odd how it lights up (blinks), just not if the parking lights/headlights are turned on...
this leads me to believe that you have removed the positive side of the fog light..and not the negative

the way the mod works..is that you are basically using the turn for the negative and postive input on the sidemarker at the same time

when the lights are off....the sidemarker has no inherent signal..so anything the turns feed it alters the light.

when the lights are on..the sidemarker has a positive from it's own circuit...it throws the negative to the turn signal. when you turn on the turn signal..you get a positive instead.... so you have two positive feeds into the bulb...in this state (two positives) the bulb can't do anything...which is why the bulb "alternates" from the turn when the lights are on.

since the sidemarker doesn't do anything but work with the turns at the moment....you've some how lost the normal positive signal in the side marker.

·
Registered
758 Posts

I was pretty sure that I tapped into the correct wires, though... Because I was so proud of myself when I finally finished the mod, and it worked just the way it was supposed to. (I've always wanted to make the side markers blink, but I am clueless when it comes to electrical stuff.)

I guess I have no choice but to take the bumper off and double check that I use the right wires. Is it possible that the negatives (the wires I added in to tap into the signal ground) are loose? But what are the chances that both left and right are loose at the same time...

·
Registered
134 Posts
. . . Just a thought . . . . Was it daytime when you finished the mod? That would mean that you thought the mod worked perfectly until one night when you realized it didn't ....

·
Registered
758 Posts
Originally posted by xxpLaYguRLxx@Aug 12 2004, 06:47 AM
. . . Just a thought . . . .  Was it daytime when you finished the mod?  That would mean that you thought  the mod worked perfectly until one night when you realized it didn't ....
[snapback]291151[/snapback]​
Nope, that's not it, but good try. I was so proud of my mod (which I finished just before nightfall), that I couldn't wait to REALLY check it out at night. And it was beautiful... Oh well, I'll just remove the bumper and see what's up. Just a hassle, that's all. Did you do the mod, too?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts