Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed this for some time, and I have no idea how to clean it, or where it came from.
I know it wasn't there when I picked up the car.

The ring is on the inside of the windshield on the passenger side, and I've tried all manner of cleaning products and nothing has even made a scratch.

Anyone have any ideas, or seen this before ?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
any pics?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
damn dirty robots. it's from the robot that was used to install the windscreen, or from a suction cup used to carry the windscreen.

if it's on the outside use a clay bar.

see the little suction cups holding the glass? that's your culprit.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I thought I did post a pic.
But ya, I think you're absolutely right. There's a couple of them on the windsheild, but they're all 'inside'.

Would a clay bar work inside?
I've never used one before. There's all kinds of little 'stains' on all of my windows.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
the clay bar requires a lubricant, and wouldn't be good on the inside.

if invisible glass or 20/20 doesn't work you can always try the mr. clean magic eraser. those little guys work on just about all surfaces.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Use vinegar it will cut of the grease that left the ring and leave a nice smell. No really it will leave a nice smell after it dries. And if that scares you then use a Clorox wipe that will also help take it off. If you use the clay bar be careful not to touch the dash it is a bitch to get off (don’t ask how I know that).

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
after reading another post about clay bar use on windows i gave it a try. what a difference. it took off all kinds of water spots & stubborn residue. that being said, i wouldn't try it on the inside.

·
Registered
391 Posts
after reading another post about clay bar use on windows i gave it a try. what a difference. it took off all kinds of water spots & stubborn residue. that being said, i wouldn't try it on the inside.[/b]
Which clay bar did you end up using mk706? I'm curious as I have some nasty marks on my windshield, looks like they are from wax residue or something... window cleaners won't get them off :(

·
Registered
581 Posts
damn dirty robots. it's from the robot that was used to install the windscreen, or from a suction cup used to carry the windscreen.

if it's on the outside use a clay bar.

see the little suction cups holding the glass? that's your culprit.

[/b]

haha thats so funny. i had that on my old 05malibu and it was like a haunting, i never knew what it was! now, (of course after its gone) i know! it was a perfect circle, with 3 round holes in the middle. son of a gun!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i used the megiure's california gold clay bar. i used it on the paint a couple of time and it started to look a little wore out. i know use that one for the windows. it really does a great job. i use soapy water for the lube. after the windows are squeaky clean i apply rain-x.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Speed6guy is right. Vinegar is what you need. Anybody have really nasty waterspots on there paint or windows? Vinegar takes them right off. You do not need much. But I would try this as it should be much easier than trying to clay the inside and then clean it afterwards.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Speed6guy is right. Vinegar is what you need. Anybody have really nasty waterspots on there paint or windows? Vinegar takes them right off. You do not need much. But I would try this as it should be much easier than trying to clay the inside and then clean it afterwards.[/b]
only downside is that you'll have a really funky smell in your car for a few hours.

·
Registered
102 Posts
FYI: Newspaper no longer works since the publishers switched over to soy based ink in the 1980's.
newbombturk[/b]
Well, it was more like the 90s, but hmm, why wouldn't the soy based inks work?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Petroleum based inks in newsprint will come off (in your hands and clothing too) and disburse onto glass when rubbed vigorously and the petroleum ink has a polishing effect to remove and even "clean" light debris and stains. Soy (bean) based ink does not disburse in the same manner and does not have the cleaning and polishing effect. It has nothing to do with the newspaper material itself.

(P.S. ...and Hearst ( media ) Corp. first pioneered soy based inks in mass newprint production the late 1980's , not the 1990's. It (soy ink) became widespread and more accepted environmentally and cost efficient wise in the 1990's. ) Saves oil and energy they say.

Sort of like the first airbags in 1974 Chevrolet Imapalas..no one bought them when they were an option and the gov't didn't madate them back in those days. ...airbags didn't come into favor until 1981 when Lee Iaccoca of Chrysler marketed them more shrewedly and touted their safety potential when the public was really ready for it. (and then the gov't jumpoed on the bandwagon).

newbombturk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Newspaper still works for hard water spots, I thought it might for this. It's worth a try.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts