Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go ....

1) Open the Hood :)

2) Disconnect wires POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE from battery. (Otherwise you will be ZAPPPEEEEDDDDD)

3) Remove Engine cover. Wobble it on 4 sides .... 2 closest to you will come out with ease, 2 farthest will fight little bit.

4) Under the cover you will find 4 short wires in line, under the wires you will find spark plugs.

5) Removing wires will make you sweat.... wobble each wire (DO NOT try to pull it out up from the firs time you pull) .... 15 min later you will eventually take them off :)

6) Use special 5/8" Spark Plug Deep Socket to remove plugs.

7) Make sure you gap your new plugs to correct gap before putting them in.
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/6078_spark-plugs-gap.htm
You must check you manual for gap requirements, also check your Spark Plug Provider for any special instructions.

8) Grease the plug for water and dirt protection.

9) Put plug into your socket and then lower it to housing. DO NOT over tighten the plug in the socket.

10) Put wires back and MAKE SURE wires in order (wires should be numbered so first wire goes to first plug, second to second plug etc.) and are completely in. Actually you can't connect wrong wire to wrong spots due to wire length (only in stock wires).

11) Connect power wires back to battery, and start the car. Wait some time....car computer needs to adjust to new plugs.

12) Take car for test drive. Don't floor it from the begging... it will still take some time for ECU to adjust.

13) Enjoy your plugs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome write-up! thanks alot![/b]
No problem man, I realized nobody made one :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"1) Open the Hood
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh79/Ra...04478.jpg"

Help! My car doesn't look like that! I can't see my engine when I open the hood! There is this big black plastic thingy covering some chunk of metal radiator thingy.

Just joking, thanks for taking the pics and doing the write up to help those who need it.[/b]
LOL, I though about taking picture of hood opener .... LOL

·
Risickulous
4,862 Posts
"LOL, I though about taking picture of hood opener .... LOL"

That I could use. I still thrash around trying to find it. It just doesn't seem easy to find on my Speed for some reason. Not sure if the regular 6's are the same way. You may want to mention removing the negative from the battery first. You would be surprised how many people don't know this and crap their pants and pop fuses on the first good spark.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"LOL, I though about taking picture of hood opener .... LOL"

That I could use. I still thrash around trying to find it. It just doesn't seem easy to find on my Speed for some reason. Not sure if the regular 6's are the same way. You may want to mention removing the negative from the battery first. You would be surprised how many people don't know this and crap their pants and pop fuses on the first good spark.[/b]
Edited. Thank you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where were you putting the grease?
On the threads, or the ceramic body?[/b]
On the ceramic body.

·
Registered
535 Posts
what do u mean when you say

Make sure you gap your new plugs to correct gap before putting them in.

Im just looking at the pictures so i dont know exactly what you mean and how much oil do u put in around the plug?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what do u mean when you say

Make sure you gap your new plugs to correct gap before putting them in.

Im just looking at the pictures so i dont know exactly what you mean and how much oil do u put in around the plug?[/b]
Ok, I'll post pictures soon...at work now.
And you don't put oil, you put spark plug grease (like 1$ in any auto shops, one will be plenty) on ceramic part of the plug... all you need is like 1/4 of your thumb finger nail, maybe less. Just cover 1/2 mm around ceramic part. Don't worry I'll put pictures soon.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm an idiot. You might want to note that it's a good idea to change them when the engine is cold! I pulled my old plugs in 15 minutes after I drove home. Now looking online I'm reading warnings left and right that changing the plugs on a hot engine with an aluminum block could crack the threads... Can anyone confirm this? I'm worried now :eek:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
looks like a 03-05. my 07 looks totally different. and i heard the plugs were a PITA to get to[/b]
only for the V6. as you can see above, it's pretty easy to get to. just pop off the cover.

the only difference i noticed is that the 06+ cover is smaller, but underneath, it SHOULD be relatively similar. but i guess one of us will find out when we actually install them :p i hope it's not that different >.<

·
Registered
535 Posts
Ok, I'll post pictures soon...at work now.
And you don't put oil, you put spark plug grease (like 1$ in any auto shops, one will be plenty) on ceramic part of the plug... all you need is like 1/4 of your thumb finger nail, maybe less. Just cover 1/2 mm around ceramic part. Don't worry I'll put pictures soon.[/b]
thanks.. i dont understand the .44 gap thing

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
153 Posts
ANYONE MESSING WITH THOSE PULSESTAR PLUGS???? OR WHAT EVER THEY ARE CALLED. ANYONE REPLACE PLUG WIRES? MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE?
MINES AN 06 WITH 39000 SO I THINK I MAY DO THAT NEXT OIL CHANGE

1 - 20 of 40 Posts