Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car just hit 60,000 miles. So according to my owner's manual, it's time to change spark plugs!

Time: 30 minutes.

Cost: Around $55 with new spark plugs and new wires, around $36 for plugs only.

Tools:
  • Mazda OEM NGK platnium tipped spark plugs (4 total).
  • Motorcraft spark plugs wire set (optional, but new wires + new plugs = optimal performance :D ).
  • Torque wrench.
  • Gloves (Protect your hands and avoid static).
  • Goggles (Safety first, performance second).
  • Spark plug wrench.
  • 3" extension bar.

Step 1:

Wear gloves and goggles for protection.

Step 2:

Open the hood and find the battery, disconnect the negative battery cable first, then positive.

Step 3:

Remove the plastic engine cover, clean off any debris and dirt. Then locate the ignition coil. If you see from the top, you should be able to see four numbers (1, 2, 3, and 4). Remove the #1 wire by pulling the plug hole plate (don't pull the wire, or you may damage the wire if you are going to reuse it).

Now follow the wire and find #1 plug on the engine and pull the plug hole plate, this will take some effort, you might want to use both hands, if you are unable to pull it out, go to the weight room then try again. (again, don't pull the wire if you are going to reuse it).

Step 4:

Connect the extension bar and spark plug wrench to the torque wrench.

Then stick into the hole and turn counterclockwise to remove the spark plug.

Step 5:

Put a new spark plug on the spark plug wrench, stick into the hole again and turn clockwise. Tighten the spark plug to 10-24Nm (1.1-2.4kgfm, or 8-17ft-lbf)

Then install new wire (or the old wire), make sure you use the same length wire. Push it in until you hear a pop sound, and do the same for ignition coil.

Step 6:

Repeat for plugs #2-4, make sure you do them one by one and plug the wire into where it was before. (If you mess up the firing order your car won't start and you may damage the engine.)

Step 7:

Organize the wires to their original position.

Step 8:

Reconnect the battery and install plastic engine cover. Close the hood and enjoy the new, shiny, fresh sparking! :drive:

Picture of my old and new plug:

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
sorry, this is a great writup, but do we really need a sticky on changing plugs on the 4cyl? the V6, i see cause it's a pain in the rear bank, but the 4cyl with all 4 plugs in plain site......?

·
Registered
29 Posts
sorry, this is a great writup, but do we really need a sticky on changing plugs on the 4cyl? the V6, i see cause it's a pain in the rear bank, but the 4cyl with all 4 plugs in plain site......?
[/b]
I got a 4banger and I appreciate this sticky :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
very good write up... i dont know if we exactly need it or not. but it cant hurt to have too much information on hand ;)

btw... platinum?
no no no

Iridium plugs are much better in every single way and in every app. and they last longer..

they are more expensive though.
here's the link to a post i made over a year ago with most sparkplug/wire listings for the 2.3l duratec

i personally run the TR7IX < which is one or two steps colder then the stockies...

the stockies are TR6IX (NGK)
well here's the link anyways...
sparkplug listing for 2.3l duratec

·
Registered
867 Posts
Motorcraft spark plugs wire set (optional, but new wires + new plugs = optimal performance [/b]
Any benefits from replacing plugs and wires? was j/w

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very good write up... i dont know if we exactly need it or not. but it cant hurt to have too much information on hand ;)
btw... platinum?
no no no

Iridium plugs are much better in every single way and in every app. and they last longer..

[/b]
Iridium spark plugs are better, I agree with you. But it will cost more $$$, I didn't personally test them out but I definately will when I get a chance next time.

Does your iridium plugs give better fuel economy compare to stock platinum ones?

No anti-sieze on the plug threads? What is the point of disconnecting the battery? Nice write-up with good pics though. ;)
[/b]
The point of disconnecting battery is for your own and your car's safety. The cooling fan can still operate with the engine off and many circuits and wires still has currents which can cause short circuit if you mess them up. Do you mean anti-seize? The plugs will screw in pretty easily with a spark plug wrench.

Any benefits from replacing plugs and wires? was j/w
[/b]
The aluminium engine block transmits tons of heat when the engine is warmed up. Although the wires are designed to withstand the heat, but in long team, the rubber and wire inside will still deteriorate and the wire will be less effective.

Thank you all for the compliments! I really appreciate them!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Nice write up overall...

But I have to ask, why the goggles? :huh: Worried that the spark plug is going fly up and hit you in the eye?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Just incase understeer rears it's ugly head.

·
Registered
412 Posts
great write-up!

i agree with the sticky. Can't have too much info, even tho it's easy, some first-timers like me would appreciate the guidance.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Iridium spark plugs are better, I agree with you. But it will cost more $$$, I didn't personally test them out but I definately will when I get a chance next time.

Does your iridium plugs give better fuel economy compare to stock platinum ones?
The point of disconnecting battery is for your own and your car's safety. The cooling fan can still operate with the engine off and many circuits and wires still has currents which can cause short circuit if you mess them up. Do you mean anti-seize? The plugs will screw in pretty easily with a spark plug wrench.
The aluminium engine block transmits tons of heat when the engine is warmed up. Although the wires are designed to withstand the heat, but in long team, the rubber and wire inside will still deteriorate and the wire will be less effective.
Thank you all for the compliments! I really appreciate them!
[/b]

being is how i have to use 93 octane in my car and i only get probally 15 mpg... i never checked :(

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Nice write up. I think it's good to always disconect the battery whenever you are working underhood. And as far as the goggles, I'd rather be safe than "One Eye Dave"!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice write up overall...

But I have to ask, why the goggles? :huh: Worried that the spark plug is going fly up and hit you in the eye?
[/b]
Ever had a battery blow up in your face :D

I helped jump start a customers car one day. He had one of them "Maintenance free" batteries. Hooked his car up and then I went to hook up the jumper cables to my car. The guy was standing there looking at his car right in front of the battery. Before I hooked up the positive I told him to get back behind the hood.

Glad I did, as soon as I touched the positive post the Maint free battery detonated, flew up and knocked the hood off its stand and slammed the hood shut. Scared the shit outta both of us.

We opened the hood to survey the damage. Most of the battery was intact in its case, but the top and post had detached the case and made impact with the hood. Inside the case we could see the water mark that was about 2 inches down from the top of the battery.

Lessons learned;

1. No such thing as a maintenance free battery.
2. Keep something substantial between you and battery when using jumper cables.
3. Use eye protection when ferkin with the battery.

Although I didnt think of it at the time, the shirt and pants I was wearing that day developed holes in them the next day. Glad that shit didnt hit me in the face...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Ever had a battery blow up in your face :D

I helped jump start a customers car one day. He had one of them "Maintenance free" batteries. Hooked his car up and then I went to hook up the jumper cables to my car. The guy was standing there looking at his car right in front of the battery. Before I hooked up the positive I told him to get back behind the hood.

Glad I did, as soon as I touched the positive post the Maint free battery detonated, flew up and knocked the hood off its stand and slammed the hood shut. Scared the shit outta both of us.

We opened the hood to survey the damage. Most of the battery was intact in its case, but the top and post had detached the case and made impact with the hood. Inside the case we could see the water mark that was about 2 inches down from the top of the battery.

Lessons learned;

1. No such thing as a maintenance free battery.
2. Keep something substantial between you and battery when using jumper cables.
3. Use eye protection when ferkin with the battery.

Although I didnt think of it at the time, the shirt and pants I was wearing that day developed holes in them the next day. Glad that shit didnt hit me in the face...
[/b]

·
Registered
487 Posts
What's the motorcraft part number on the box for the spark wires?

You know, so that I or someone else can just walk into a ford stealer and ask by part number.

Thanks,
Bob.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What's the motorcraft part number on the box for the spark wires?

You know, so that I or someone else can just walk into a ford stealer and ask by part number.

Thanks,
Bob.
[/b]

WR-6073, I think they charge more at Ford dealers than Mazda though, MSRP at Ford for this part is like $46.41.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Never saw a battery blow, but I was told one blew up at my HS once and hit the roof of the shop, which was probably a good 20 feet. LOL

And ya, always disconnect the battery.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts