Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the V6 the other day and I noticed that 1 cylinder bank of the V is covered with the intake manifold.
How does one service that cylinder bank, for instance changing the spark plugs?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Replying to Topic 'How to change plugs on V6'

I'm also curious about this. I've been reading that the Ford Duratec V-6 engine is known for difficult-plug-changes....

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I was looking at that the other day, no way I can see without removing intake.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Reading Topic: How to change plugs on V6

On a positive note, removing the upper to change the plugs allows you to clean out all the EGR gunk in the upper before it gets too out of hand :) . I let mine go too long and it lost performance. I swear I got 10hp just from de-gunking it.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I am slightly mechanically inclined, oil changes are simple. How hard is it to pull the upper intake manifold on this engine? Just unbolt, then move out of way, then rebolt? Anything to be careful of?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Gee, the US 6 has only been on sale for about 60 days. Doubt anybody has had the need to pull one yet. I don't think the factory service manual is even out yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Originally posted by LBJay

Gee, the US 6 has only been on sale for about 60 days. Doubt anybody has had the need to pull one yet. I don't think the factory service manual is even out yet.[/b]
I am just asking because I am curious. Besides, the duratec has been out for more than 60 days, and others who have had this engine might chime in and be helpful.

·
Registered
577 Posts

Like the others have said....you will more than likely have to remove the intake manifold. I have no idea what this would involve. I am use to doing this on my 1999 Cougar.... a slight PITA, but not difficult, just time consuming....

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Can't be any worse then the newer F150 V8s. Took my son-in-law and me 3hrs to do and we didn't have to remove anyhing! You just can't get an angle on a couple of the plugs to pull the boots. People with large hands need not apply.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I hate DIY cars...

I had a Saab 96 -73 (two actually) in my early driving age. When you were gonna put in new spark plugs, you had to remove the generator... Yes, it's actually true. :sarc

·
Registered
268 Posts

Cool. I'm assuming you have a Mazda6 V6 not a Contour. Correct?

Originally posted by DuratecTour

FYI...I pulled the upper intake on mine in around 15 mins...[/b]

·
Registered
168 Posts

Originally posted by rx7turbo

Cool.  I'm assuming you have a Mazda6 V6 not a Contour.  Correct?[/b]
No, I've got a Contour SE with a Taurus 3.0 longblock, SVT heads and cams, and taurus 3.0 intakes. It's got 11.2:1 compression due to using the 2.5l heads on the 3.0l.

But no matter what Duratec you have, it's really difficult to change the plugs & wires without pulling the intake. The intake designs are similar enough that it should take the same amount of time to pull each.

I plan on gettng a Mazda6 (V6 of course) for my wife as soon as I get the promotion my boss promised me.

·
Registered
341 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but being new here I am just reading it for the first time.

From what I have seen of this engine already, plug changing will at least involve removing the cover over the front head and intake of the V6. As for removing the intake itself, I didn't do that with my Taurus' Duratec, all I needed was a swivel knuckle for my ratchet and 2 extensions (one 3" and one 6" knuckle between the 2). That made the back plugs almost easier to remove than the front ones.

Joe

·
Registered
652 Posts

Damn, I just read this thread...that sucks!

The first thing I was gonna do when I get me 6s was swap plugs/wires. I don't want to pull the intake--don't you have to drain the coolant?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: How to change plugs on V6

Originally posted by Kristoff

Damn, I just read this thread...that sucks!

The first thing I was gonna do when I get me 6s was swap plugs/wires. I don't want to pull the intake--don't you have to drain the coolant?[/b]
Why would you swap plugs and wires on a new car? It would be useless. The only plugs you want to use are the Autolite/Motorcraft Double Platinum plugs. Anything else and the Duratec eats them like candy. And aftermarket plug wires don't make much HP (if any at all). The gains people see from aftermarket plug wires usually comes from replacing old, worn out wires with the aftermarket ones, not from the "better" wires. However, the Ford Motorsport 9mm wires are about 1/2 the price as the stock wires are, so when your stock wires get worn, those are a good choice for replacment.

For alot more spark plug/wire info visit www.contour.org and search the "Duratec Performance" forum.

·
Registered
652 Posts

I have never met an engine that didn't benefit from splitfire plugs and leads.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Seriously, many Contour owners try other plugs, and in the end, they all come back to the Autolite Dual Plat. Go ahead in try, and make sure to report back about the condition of the plugs in 10k miles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts