Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a small hydraulic jack and two jack stands so that I could get under my car to change my oil. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the car up on those jack stands as I only have one hydraulic jack. Whats the best order to do this in? B/C the car has only two hard points.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Replying to Topic 'How to best get your car on jack stands'

Originally posted by Brillo

So I bought a small hydraulic jack and two jack stands so that I could get under my car to change my oil. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the car up on those jack stands as I only have one hydraulic jack. Whats the best order to do this in? B/C the car has only two hard points.[/b]
Where are the hard points located?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: How to best get your car on jack stands

there are four of them near each tire under the body. the manual details where they are. My problem is that if I put a jack under one and lift the car up on one side, how do I then slide the jack under since the hydraulic jack is using the hard point I need. Foe those of you who change your oil yourself, what method do you use?

·
Registered
315 Posts

there are four of them near each tire under the body. the manual details where they are. My problem is that if I put a jack under one and lift the car up on one side, how do I then slide the jack under since the hydraulic jack is using the hard point I need. Foe those of you who change your oil yourself, what method do you use?[/b]
Is there no other place you can put the jack stand other than the hard points? It seems like you could use the frame. Are the hard points really small?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I played around and I think I found some frame points that will work. Good news is that that hydraulic jack and basic jack stands can get the car high enough off the ground to get under the car and get to the oil filter. Mind you this is for the V6, I'm not sure about the location for the I-4.

While I'm one the subject of DIY oil changes, I assume that removing the oil filter is also how you drain the oil pan, ie there isn't another valve to drain the oil....which also mean that you better not be right under the filter when you remove it. :)

·
Registered
383 Posts

On the 6i there is a center jack point on a crossmember in front, just in front of the plastic shield, which you'll need to remove to drain the pan and remove the filter.

No, you don't drain the pan by removing the filter. The pan has it's own drain plug.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Usually the front and rear cross-members have center hard points. My Supra was so damn low that I couldn't get to the cross-members. I jacked as close to the corner hard point as possible to still let room to place the jack stand. Tricky.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

Yeah, this is a tough situation with many cars. As Kyler says, some cars are so low that it's pretty much impossible (that was the case with a Toyota Celica I once owned).

The solution that I have always used is wood. Years ago I took some very thick pieces of wood, and cut grooves in them. On each piece I cut the groove to match the unibody seam on the underside of the car (and any jack reinforced jack point protrusion that there may be).

I cut these pieces of wood big enough so that they can accomodate the heads of both a jack and a jackstand simultaneously. So the wood goes between the jack and the car (at the jack point); and I raise the jack. Then when the car is high enough I slip the jackstand under the wood, right beside the hydraulic jack. Then I can lower the jack, and roll it out.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

There is a hard point in the dead center of the front of the car just past the plastic cladding as stated, that's how I lifted mine up last time:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Run, don't walk to the nearest Wal-Mart. Go to the Automotive section and buy a set of Rino Ramps. $29 last I looked. I can put the ramps down, drive up and be draining the oil before you could get the car up on jack stands.

·
Registered
383 Posts

I had ramps a few years ago. Never could get them to not slide forward on the garage floor as I tried to drive up. Guess I could install some kind of removable stop to back them up against.

I agree that ramps are the way to go if you don't need to pull the wheels.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

While I'm one the subject of DIY oil changes, I assume that removing the oil filter is also how you drain the oil pan, ie there isn't another valve to drain the oil....which also mean that you better not be right under the filter when you remove it. :)[/b]
STOP, put down the wrench and step away from the car. Don't do anything anything untill you have someone show you how to do this. This is a very simple procedure BUT not one you want to get wrong. Judging by the above statement you need some help.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

These are Rhino Ramps.

"For the do-it-yourselfer, this is probably the greatest invention since the screwdriver. Made of high-tech plastic for ease of use yet stronger than bulky metal, the Rhino Ramps have a 8,000 or 12,000 pound GVW capacity(low ramps). Their non-skid bases resist slipping even on slick concrete. They won't rust, won't corrode, won't splinter and accommodate most ground effects."

I think Pep Boys has them also

·
Registered
383 Posts

Thanks, Jay, they look pretty stout and have a nice tall stop at the back (always another worry...driving off the end...). Can you attest to the "non-skid...slick concrete" part?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Yep, they have never moved on me. I will never be with out a set. Even as low as a Miata is, I can drive right up. We have even used them for my son-in-law's '97 F150 4WD.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Well, looks like it's Rhino ramp time for me. I have been trying to think of a way to get under the car so I can change the oil to Mobile 1. Thanks for the idea, LBJay!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: How to best get your car on jack stands

LBJay...

You know, when you say that it kinda sounds like spanish fellatio. :D

·
Registered
652 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: How to best get your car on jack stands

I just used the jack out of the trunk on the jack points, then I slid my jack stands under the control arms. The control arms can safely bear the weight of the vehicle..that's what they are designed to do. I used squares of old carpet on the top of the stands to protect the control arms. This gave plenty of room

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by LBJay

These are Rhino Ramps.  

"For the do-it-yourselfer, this is probably the greatest invention since the screwdriver. Made of high-tech plastic for ease of use yet stronger than bulky metal, the Rhino Ramps have a 8,000 or 12,000 pound GVW capacity(low ramps). Their non-skid bases resist slipping even on slick concrete. They won't rust, won't corrode, won't splinter and accommodate most ground effects."

I think Pep Boys has them also[/b]
eh, they don't appear sturdy. The convenience and ease of driving up the ramps sounds great but I'll put my cast iron jack stands under the hard points just to be sure. I'm no slack at bench press, but 3000 lbs is a bit more than I can handle. ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts