Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like to tint, but afraid what it will look like in 3 yrs.
Professonally tinted my old cars but after 3 yrs, the back hatch w/heater element bubbled. It was impossible to take off w/o harming the window heating filament.
I guess I can tint sides but not the back?? Guys have any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had my tint on for 2 years. I got all my windows tinted and I have 6i hatch. So far I have had no issues with my tint and it still looks great. I recommend you find a shop that has good reputation and also gives a lifetime warranty. You won't regret getting your car tinted.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Professonally tinted my old cars but after 3 yrs, the back hatch w/heater element bubbled. It was impossible to take off w/o harming the window heating filament.
I guess I can tint sides but not the back?? Guys have any suggestions? Thanks
[/b]
Thats why you go to a place with a good reputation. That you know has been around for a while. So they most likely will stay around a while longer. and make sure they offer a lifetime warrenty.

My tint has a lifetime warrenty. I've had to have it replaced once. But that was because the dumbass installer turned on a heater blower in the shop right before he did my tint so dust and dirt got in it. couldn't really tell, but when it dried it looked horrible. Even the shop owner was pissed when he came out to see it.

I've had mine since last winter though. So not long.

But either way if it does start bubbleing I can just take it in and have it redone for free.

I honestly don't think it would look to good to do the sides and leave the back normal though.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
ya dont tint the sides and the back that would look awful, just find a shop that does good work, find out what kind of tint they use make sure it is high quality and not ink based so it dosent turn people. make sure they offer a lifetime warranty and you will be fine. mine also was already replaced on 1 window because of a crease that appeared, i just took it back and no problem. just do some reasearch and ask the tint shop to see there work make sure they use one peice of tint on the rear window. you should be fine just make sure to get the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I highly recommend "california tint". It's this place in alhambra or arcadia... something like that... they did a great job on mine and it's always crowded, so get there early or even before it opens.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
go to a place with a life time warranty, and a place that is a commonly known for a few years, cause if that tint messes up you dont want the company to disapear on you ;)

·
Registered
905 Posts
i've had mine for almost 2 years but i'm not worried about the life of the tint. I chose a brand that was guaranteed for life.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've had mine since September 03, whenI bought my 6. It still looks great.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had mine going on to 3 years. 20% all around and still look as good as the day I got them put on. My uncle has a camaro with 30% all around for almost 8 years and also looked great... honestly the only way the tint is gonna look bad is if you rip it somehow or they weren't put on carefull and it bubbles up which leads to ripping.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Lifetime warranty against discoloration and bubbling helps for a piece of mind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had my tint for almost 3 years now, I have a 04 6i sedan and even with frequent use of the defog I have had no problems. The shop doing the job makes all the difference. Tint is something that you get what you pay for, generally unless you are being hooked up by a buddy, a cheap job won't last.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How hard is it to DIY window tinting? I priced tinting around here~175 x 2 cars = 350. There are kits on ebay with film, heat gun, supplies, DVD instruction videos for less than $200. The films relatively inexpensive. If I mess up, or it doesn't last, I can just do it again. Am I not considering something? Is it a lot harder than I think it is? What do you folks think?

·
Registered
940 Posts
How hard is it to DIY window tinting? I priced tinting around here~175 x 2 cars = 350. There are kits on ebay with film, heat gun, supplies, DVD instruction videos for less than $200. The films relatively inexpensive. If I mess up, or it doesn't last, I can just do it again. Am I not considering something? Is it a lot harder than I think it is? What do you folks think?
[/b]
You ever see tint jobs where there are lots of bubbles all over their windows? I would bet the majority of those are DIY jobs. I have done it once, but it is a PITA - let a pro do it unless you want to make a hobby of it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
3M makes a really good tint called Color Stable. Most good tint companies make metalized tint that holds its adhesion really well but still contains a small amount of dye in it and will lose some color over time or possibly streak. I used to manage a tint shop in AZ and IME as long as you stay away from dyed film you should be OK. Most tint that bubbles is just cheap film. I put the 3M CS on my car and love it.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_U...=AbcPageHandler

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Got mine done when I bought the car. So sence 03. Had the dealer do it with a life time warrenty. Still looks fine, but if it ever screws up I know the dealer will be there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I guess I can tint sides but not the back?? Guys have any suggestions? Thanks[/b]
I've had my tint since July 2003. I live out here in the desert, where temps can get up to 120F. No problems so far with my tint job, and my rear window even has the defrosting elements built into it.

I went to Mr. Tint in the bay area, and it cost me ~$300 i think. But it has proved to be worth it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If somebody wanna DIY just go to some professional shop and look how its done... Belive me its 2-3 times harder than it looks :)
You need ideally cut tint. Windows are not flat... So you will need to stretch wet tint, then dry it. Then perfectly put at wet window, and dry off.
Mine tint is 4 years and can last much more, will be changed because of scratches all around. Life time of tint depends of its quality. So don't go cheap and you don't need to worry.
To remove it from back window - just need heater gun. If it fails I will replace back window. Its 15min work with 3 hours dryoff.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts