Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Redline MTL, according to the Mfr, is designed with synchro cone clutch friction properties that are markedly different than its competitors. I don't know if this can be believed or not, but I do know that this product can- and often does improve synchro action for "grouchy" transmissions or transaxles. However, anecdotally, many folks do say a marked change in its behaviour occurs as time goes on. Apparently, substantially more so than most conventional manual gearbox lubricants. I personally have no experience with it, but I have definitely seen this matter reported-on...

I've noted no material difference over its service life; I do change MTX fluid on 50k intervals, more or less, but the improvement when I put it in over stock was immediate and I haven't noted any degradation over time, nor do I note a difference when I change it either.

YMMV but that's my experience in the "6".

Calm down. I don't have a Skyactiv-Drive transmission. I have a 2G M6 which uses the FS5A-EL transmission, so M5...Idemitsu, to be exact...is correct for it. But, while on the topic of incorrect fluids...Lubegard? Raise Dex VI to the level of what? Why would you even do that or think that it's okay to do what you are doing, when you can just buy the correct FZ fluid at rockauto.com for $9.36 per quart?
Agreed with your comments about the logic of "raising the level", although it's not the end of the world, in the interval he changes his fluid, I wouldn't think twice about it, I personally use Valvoline MaxLife, the red stuff. It's like 95% the same stuff if not better, definitely a world's difference from not changing the fluid. Don't waste your money on the additives, buy the MaxLife stuff(cheaper) or the FZ fluid, because it'll cost nearly the same as doing your mix.

I changed ATF on my 17 Touring last weekend at 95k. Since I plan on keeping it many years, I dropped pan and changed filter.
did you have any issues after that change? I have a 17 touring with 116k miles and never been changed due to the “lifetime” statement. I’d like to change mine but not sure if I should just do a fluid change (roughly 50%) or drop pan and change filter. If I had significantly lower miles it would be an easy answer but with my miles I’ve heard sometimes changing all that stuff can cause more harm than good (slippage, etc.).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts