Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Definitely change the fluid, highly recommend dropping the pan and replacing the filter!

I plan to drain and refill the transmission every 10-20k miles, while changing oil, knowing it only replaces a portion of the liquid, where the goal is to replace all fluid every 50k miles.

I have been using Dex VI transmission fluid + Lubegard Platinum 1oz per 1qt of transmission fluid, to raise the fluid additives to meet the Mazda FZ specifications. Been running great on 3 different Mazda Skyactivs, and mine's been supercharged for 12k miles and performing beautifully.

I too plan to drive this car for a while, I am planning on 10-15 years more (@Archerfish not sure I can get 20 more years out of it with the supercharger and multiple racing events per year, but we'll see)

If you don't think it's necessary check my little video, this is with only 40k miles:
If it does not have a torque converter*, and we know that torque converters without drain plugs (like almost all of them these days) hold a lot of fluid, then I wonder what % of fluid gets changed with a pan drop? Now it might be that the wet clutch pack is contained in an envelope that is just like a TC... And it too might retain fluid. For that matter, said unit may not be disassembleable... or easy-draining.
* Correction: it does have a torque converter... The above points are therefore more or less nullified...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The Redline MTL is, as well, 75W-80, GL-4. 'Lotsa folks like it. It will have a bit better cold-shifting performance (smoothness) than the OEM Mazda product, at least when the Redline MTL is new. Shearing of the oil in service, to my way of thinking, lessens the viscosity, which theoretically ought to make it feel better yet (for cold operation, in any case) than when new... but reportedly this product starts to shift in an inferior manner as it "wears"... I can't explain why.

As for me (and I don't pretend to be scientific, here) I like the OEM lubricant, and I guess I'd then prefer to baby it a bit when cold.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Redline MTL, according to the Mfr, is designed with synchro cone clutch friction properties that are markedly different than its competitors. I don't know if this can be believed or not, but I do know that this product can- and often does improve synchro action for "grouchy" transmissions or transaxles. However, anecdotally, many folks do say a marked change in its behaviour occurs as time goes on. Apparently, substantially more so than most conventional manual gearbox lubricants. I personally have no experience with it, but I have definitely seen this matter reported-on...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts