Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out what my best course of action would be for me in the long run concerning my rims and tires for both winter and summer. So far, I see a few options for me.

1. Keep the OEM rims and tires. Buy winter tires and get them mounted on the OEM wheels. And buy new wheels and have the OEM tires mounted on them. (Seems most cost effective)
$728 tires + $596 wheels + all mounting fees for 2 sets of tires.
$1324 + mounting fees (x2) =

2. Keep the OEM tires and sell the OEM rims. Buy 17" alloys + winter tires from tirerack (free mounting). I'd have the benefit of more sidewall for snow, but I end up paying more overall, I think (depends on how much the OEM rims sell for). Still buy the new wheels and put OEM tires on them.
$972 winter set + $596 summer wheels + mounting fees for 1 set of tires - OEM wheels sell price.
$1568 + mounting fee - OEM wheels =

3. Sell both the OEM tires and rims. Buy the same winter set. Buy a summer set with the same wheels I was looking at, and buy Potenza RE050A Pole Position tires (highest rated tires on tirerack). The benefits of this is I get my exact choice of all wheels and tires, and no mounting/dismounting costs are incurred at all (Free mounting with sets from tire rack, and OEM wheels and tires sold as a set). The cons are this will probably end up being the most expensive option.
$972 winter set + $1336 - OEM wheels/tires sell price.
$2308 - OEM wheels/tires =

So it really boils down to what the brand new OEM wheels and tires can be sold for. Actually, now that I look at the numbers it looks like option #2 is the cheapest price as long as I can sell the wheels for more than $200.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You should be able to get way more than $200 for like new speed6 wheels. I sold an extra set that I had with some blemishes for $550 shipped.

Check out the buy/sell section, there are a couple people looking for those wheels.

And of course there is always eBay. (where I sold mine, I think you will get the most money for them on ebay)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be able to get way more than $200 for like new speed6 wheels. I sold an extra set that I had with some blemishes for $550 shipped.

Check out the buy/sell section, there are a couple people looking for those wheels.

And of course there is always eBay. (where I sold mine, I think you will get the most money for them on ebay)
[/b]
These aren't like new, they are brand new. I will drive them home to put the winter tires/wheels on them but that's it.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

[/b]
Good to know as I think I'm going to sell the stock rims and tires! A buddy of mine is saying keep them and powdercoat them black, I'm leaning no on that. What do I need 2 sets of wheels and tires for????

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I found this Listing on Ebay

Think he will get $800-900 for them? I guess they are still considered factory new with 271 miles on them. So mine should be considered fresh off the assembly line.

If he can get that much for them I think my best choice is to buy 2 new sets of wheels and rims from tirerack.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Think he will get $800-900 for them? I guess they are still considered factory new with 271 miles on them. So mine should be considered fresh off the assembly line.

If he can get that much for them I think my best choice is to buy 2 new sets of wheels and rims from tirerack.
[/b]
I'm pretty sure the tires alone go for $800.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure the tires alone go for $800.
[/b]
The tires are ~$800 shipped brand new from a store. You won't get $800 selling to a private buyer unless they are not looking at retail price.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The tires are ~$800 shipped brand new from a store. You won't get $800 selling to a private buyer unless they are not looking at retail price.
[/b]
Yep, you really won't get very much money for new vs. used.

I sold 3 of my 4 (stupid me did dutch instead of a set) and get $140 each for fairly good condition rims, no tires. I would say you can get maybe $600 for just the rims if they are new, not sure about tires. Keep them until they wear out? Probably only going to last 15k-20k anyway.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
get a set of regular Mazda6s 17 inch wheels. Then buy some nice all season or winter tires for those. Then, keep the OEM set you have and use them for the spring/summer/fall use.

·
Registered
79 Posts

[/b]
Looks like he lowered the price to $749 ... more reasonable.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like he lowered the price to $749 ... more reasonable.
[/b]
Hehe, he may have lowered the price $50, but eh raised the shipping price by $40! Yesterday it was at $159, now $199.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hehe, he may have lowered the price $50, but eh raised the shipping price by $40! Yesterday it was at $159, now $199.
[/b]
I've been following that listing on eBay ... Now they're $746 plus calculated shipping.
I wanted an extra set of rims to more easily swap my summer/winter tires, it might make sense ... I'll wait and see what (if any) the bidding goes up to.

·
Registered
795 Posts
just sold my wheels and tires for $725 picked up. not too many peole would buy a set of oem wheels for 800 or more. so i just went ahead and got rid of them. being that i would never put them back on my car again...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update, I just checked the Ebay listing and they sold for $831.99 + shipping. Wow! And this is right before winter when a lot of people aren't shopping for winter tires. I'll see what I can get for them come spring time.

I just ordered my 17" winter wheel and tire set from Tirerack. After shipping it came out to $1048. Mounting and balancing tires gets to be pretty expensive. I might just use up the summer tires for awhile until they are gone (most users report 15k miles or so). After 2 summers I'll buy new summer wheels and tires and sell the used OEM rims. I'm not sure what the best choice is right now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Update, I just checked the Ebay listing and they sold for $831.99 + shipping. Wow! And this is right before winter when a lot of people aren't shopping for winter tires. I'll see what I can get for them come spring time.

I just ordered my 17" winter wheel and tire set from Tirerack. After shipping it came out to $1048. Mounting and balancing tires gets to be pretty expensive. I might just use up the summer tires for awhile until they are gone (most users report 15k miles or so). After 2 summers I'll buy new summer wheels and tires and sell the used OEM rims. I'm not sure what the best choice is right now.
[/b]
I sold my set for $900 ... seemed fair. The tires had 300 miles on them.

I bought:
2 sets of MB Blast Rims from Discount Tire Direct for $118 (x8).
Mounted one set with Nitto NT-SN1 Winter 225/40/18 $132 (x4).
and the other set with Nitto NT-555 Extreme 225/40/18 $115 (x4).

I was able to use 2 each of the following rebates of:
$50 per set of MB wheels
$50 per set of Nitto tires
$50 per purchase with their Care One Card

The car looks and handles much better than stock!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts